Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2012, 08:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
Brake/lights controller adaptor refresher course

Well I finally got the truck I needed to tow our AS...it is a 96 Ford F250 XL, white and looks brand new. -all new tires and just well taken care of.
BUT! ---AT the rear is the tow package of course, but it only has a flat plug with three holes. I had left the six pin plug on my other old truck, and I need to be told how to go about putting the correct plug on this truck for hooking up to the Airstream. There also is no brake controller box inside the cab either. Thankyou Bill
Old 01-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Flat 4 wire connectors do not have all of the wires that you need for your trailer. You will need a brake line, charge line and backup lights (optional?) run to the new connector. A brake controller will need to be installed which will provide the power to the brake connection. This should help: Trailer Wiring Diagrams | etrailer.com

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Something like that MAY have a ready-made harness available for the 7 pin plug. I'm not sure when they started including them.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Also, if the '96 did have a factory towing package, there probably is at least a brake wire somewhere in the back and front, maybe with a plug system already installed under the dash, which makes putting the brake controller on a simple job. A quick trip to the Ford dealer will usually find someone who knows where they are under the dash, and what they look like. The matching controller wires to plug into the socket are available from RV places that sell the controllers. I am sure they are also available online.

At the rear of the truck, often there is a plug that you can just disconnect and hook onto a new adapter which feeds the 7 wire outlet you need for the trailer wires. The brake line may also already have a plug connection on it. Again, this is only if the truck originally was ordered with a tow package.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
You will need a 7-way, RV Female socket mounted on the rear of your truck...

If the additional 3 wires aren't taped over near where the 'flat four' connector is that you have now, you'll have to run a 'charge wire' and 'electric brake wire' to the back...the third extra wire is a 'backup' lamp wire, and would be easy to tie into your truck backup lamps...

If you can find these three wires already in the rear harness, you may still need to install a couple of fuses in the fuse box under the hood to 'activate' them...

You will then need a 7-conductor electrical cable to connect to the trailer - a 7-way, RV (flat connectors) male socket on one end, and a 7-way 'round pin' male on the other to hook into your AS's F/M socket which is different than the truck's F/M socket...

If you have to run additional wires in the truck, it's probably best to seek the advise of someone familiar with this type of wiring, as you need the proper size wires, fuses, and probably a relay for the 'charging' wire, etc., etc...especially when tying into the Brake Controller you'll also need...