Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-23-2015, 07:14 AM   #21
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Again, the same with my RAM 1500. According to the technicians at the RAM dealer there was nothing wrong with the truck and the same was confirmed by the folks at Camping World. But when I went to pick up my AS and plugged it into my RAM, I got the "No trailer connected" message and thus no brakes.

I have an appointment for service on 6/30 at Camping World and they will have the AS and the Ram and hopefully they can find out what is wrong!

Patiently waiting!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:37 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
"It's Alive" or put in another way, I can now stop my Airstream. The new RAM truck integrated brake controller is NOW 100% FUNCTIONAL!!!!!! The solution did not come from RAM dealership or the priority ticket with RAM technical support services. It came from my Airstream Dealership who told me to bring it to them and they would figure it out. Well, they plugged their home made electronic gizmos in the 7 plug receptacle and very rapidly isolated a voltage drop along the path from the controller to the 7 PIN. They fixed something very easy, tested the current again to the brakes, voltage jumped from about 7.5 volts to 11 volts and now those disk magnets just hum away. It is interesting probably a quarter million dollar diagnostic tool at the dealership couldn't figure this out but some 5 bucks in electronic parts taped together with someone with a brain who thinks critically, well you get my point. Good news, hitching up next week and WY and ID here I come!!!!

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:56 AM   #23
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Plan-B, Great to hear that the issue has been resolved!

Happy trails!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 11:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You should ask exactly what they fixed easily so if it comes back, and they often do, you will be able to repair it yourself no matter where you are.

Connections with resistance (allowing some current flow but with a voltage drop) can be the trickiest to find. Low voltage 12 volt circuits are most vulnerable, and can produce heat were you don't want it.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 03:35 PM   #25
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Should of bought a Ford.
Old 06-25-2015, 07:25 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
Oh BoldAdventure, you know better this discussion must happen over a camp fire with a beer, or too!

But, In my life time I have lost count of how many Ford pickups I have owned, this is my first venture straying away from the holly grail. So far I am really pleased. Yes, I have sinned:-)

But if you had my last two diesels, which lived most of their lives back home at the dealership, I think they were home sick for mommy:-)

My 6.0 I lost a controller on a trip and on the 6.7 I had lost two on trips. Very inconvenient but not the end of the world. Damn, I loved that 6.7 but it was broken more than not and the last three years, not exaggerating , minimum $10k year on maintenance. Many of the the same issues were happening every year and every year newer and bigger ones lingering . Loved her and hated her.

Thanks again everyone and yes I need to ask specifically what was done so if there is a repeat.

PS: the only perfect, and I mean perfect, thing on wheels I have ever owned I sold last month. And that was my 1997 21' Excella Classic. Other than brakes, packing bearings, and tires there were zero defects or issues. It was perfect. I hope my 2016 26FC can live up to her reputation, even just a bit.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:26 PM   #27

Montana , Montana
Plan-B,

Please, please, please!!! Find out what the fault was with your truck!!!

This is not just your truck. There are a number of us that have the same problem with our travel trailers but we can't get help from Ram!!! The dealerships have no idea how to test it other than run the scan tool.

My ram has 7.4v on heavy electric and 8.3v on light electric. At least half a dozen 2015 HD Ram owners with the same issues and similar voltages.

Even if you don't know, a phone number or link to the dealership that did your diagnostics and fixed your problem.

We believe this issue might affect all 2015 Ram with the ITBM. A few have filed complaints with the NHTSA.

Thank you for any help!
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 PM   #28

Montana , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
"It's Alive" or put in another way, I can now stop my Airstream. The new RAM truck integrated brake controller is NOW 100% FUNCTIONAL!!!!!! The solution did not come from RAM dealership or the priority ticket with RAM technical support services. It came from my Airstream Dealership who told me to bring it to them and they would figure it out. Well, they plugged their home made electronic gizmos in the 7 plug receptacle and very rapidly isolated a voltage drop along the path from the controller to the 7 PIN. They fixed something very easy, tested the current again to the brakes, voltage jumped from about 7.5 volts to 11 volts and now those disk magnets just hum away. It is interesting probably a quarter million dollar diagnostic tool at the dealership couldn't figure this out but some 5 bucks in electronic parts taped together with someone with a brain who thinks critically, well you get my point. Good news, hitching up next week and WY and ID here I come!!!!
http://www.ramforum.com/f119/brake_controller-71708/
Old 09-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #29

Montana , Montana
Brake Controller - DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums
Old 09-22-2015, 06:42 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
On the 2015 Ram the 7 pin receptacle that is joined to the bumper can be removed. That 7 pin receptacle then can be removed from the wiring harness via a quick release, sort of. After removing the the 7 pin they observed how the two plugs mated via looking at the marks on the electrical connections. One of them they felt did not look like a good connection. They used a dental tool and bent one of the leads. Then they filled all the connections with a clear electrical jelly stuff. After that we got the numbers. On full gain and full braking 10 volts plus is within spec. So I was told.

PS: I forgot to mention in prior threads that the original RAM controller, after testing and the dealer said they see no issues and after my insistence, replaced the original controller with a controller off another new truck on the lot. Same issue persisted in my braking tests. That's when I went back to the dealer and they did the above test and procedure and everything works fine.

Good luck guys. I hope you find the same issue to resolution. But it is also hard to believe that this kind of connection issue would be so prevalent. I was thinking I was a one off.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Full-Time , Full-Time
PSPS: he dealer also said in the electrical testing of the gain, what ever means you use to test the voltage, one of the leads will have to be grounded. They said the ground is important to have a good one and if not you will get a low voltage reading.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Our 2012 Dodge Ram had #14 wires going to the 7 pin plug from the built in broke controller.

We installed a new trailer charge wire directly from the truck battery with #10 wire going through a auto reset 30 amp breaker on the firewall to the 7 pin plug on the back of the truck, discarding and securing the factory wire. We added another #10 wire with it's own breaker directly into the Tuson DirecLink NE brake controller from the truck battery and from the brake signal output of the controller continued to the 7 pin plug with #10 wire removing and securing the factory wiring.

The larger amperage capacity wiring provides more than adequate power to the hydraulic disk brake pump and well as the brake pump control circuit.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:07 AM   #33

Montana , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan-B View Post
On the 2015 Ram the 7 pin receptacle that is joined to the bumper can be removed. That 7 pin receptacle then can be removed from the wiring harness via a quick release, sort of. After removing the the 7 pin they observed how the two plugs mated via looking at the marks on the electrical connections. One of them they felt did not look like a good connection. They used a dental tool and bent one of the leads. Then they filled all the connections with a clear electrical jelly stuff. After that we got the numbers. On full gain and full braking 10 volts plus is within spec. So I was told.

PS: I forgot to mention in prior threads that the original RAM controller, after testing and the dealer said they see no issues and after my insistence, replaced the original controller with a controller off another new truck on the lot. Same issue persisted in my braking tests. That's when I went back to the dealer and they did the above test and procedure and everything works fine.

Good luck guys. I hope you find the same issue to resolution. But it is also hard to believe that this kind of connection issue would be so prevalent. I was thinking I was a one off.
Thank you for this! I will have to test voltage at the connector tonight or when I get a chance. My truck goes in Friday for this problem. Hopefully I can show them what is wrong and give them a heads up to maybe check all 2015 Rams on the lot for this issue.