Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2018, 04:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Tallahassee , FLORIDA
Brake Controller Help for 2019 BMW X3 sDrive 30i

I'm trying to find more info on getting a brake controller for the 2019 BMW X3 sDrive 30i. I have the factory installed trailer hitch with 7 pin wiring. The Airstream dealer says they can install one on the trailer that won't void the warranty, and I don't see a BMW part for 2019. Anyone pulling a camper and have a brake controller?

Will be pulling an 16 sport. The car is rear wheel drive and rated at 4,400 tow max capacity and 440lb tongue max.
weismans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by weismans View Post
I'm trying to find more info on getting a brake controller for the 2019 BMW X3 sDrive 30i. I have the factory installed trailer hitch with 7 pin wiring. The Airstream dealer says they can install one on the trailer that won't void the warranty, and I don't see a BMW part for 2019. Anyone pulling a camper and have a brake controller?

Will be pulling an 16 sport. The car is rear wheel drive and rated at 4,400 tow max capacity and 440lb tongue max.

Weismann

I believe the best brake controller is DirecLink by Tuson (www.direclink.com). It connects directly to the OBDII computer port in your BMW. I have one and it works great.

I am looking forward to hearing how well your X3 tows your 16 Sport. I have a Tundra which is a great TV but it is HUGE. I would like to get an X3 sometime in the future to tow our 66 Tradewind.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Tallahassee , FLORIDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringDan View Post
Weismann

I believe the best brake controller is DirecLink by Tuson (www.direclink.com). It connects directly to the OBDII computer port in your BMW. I have one and it works great.

I am looking forward to hearing how well your X3 tows your 16 Sport. I have a Tundra which is a great TV but it is HUGE. I would like to get an X3 sometime in the future to tow our 66 Tradewind.

Dan
Thanks Dan. I'm researching that now. the RV dealer has recommended a trailer mounted version of brake controller. Not sure what brand and model (need to ask). BMW says the factory installed trailer hitch and 7 pin wiring is "pre-wired" for a controller. (again, finding out what that really means). I'll keep you posted.

I think I'll have to post my experiences with the 2019 BMW X3 as most folks use trucks at TV's.
Old 11-22-2018, 09:59 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
get the Tekonsha P3 Electronic Brake Control - sale on amazon

we use it on our audi q5
be sure to have it setup who knows their stuff

we used the great guts at CANM RV in London ON

A distinct, easy-to-read LCD display with multiple screen color options, displays in English, French or Spanish
Diagnostics show output current, battery, brake, and output voltage and warning system alerts to No Trailer Brake situations
Boost feature allows for different levels of customized braking, select Electric over Hydraulic or Electric trailer brake mode
Integrated Plug-N-Play port for 2-plug adapters and Snap-in mounting clip allows user to remove and store the control when not in use
Easy-to-see and distinct LCD display with select-a-color option
Electric or hydraulic switchable easy to understand diagnostics
Compact and dash-hugging design

also get the mounting bracket
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tek p4 brake controller.PNG
Views:	63
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	328334  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
an article why break controllers are important
https://driving.ca/honda/auto-news/n...than-you-think
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
I rented a wireless brake controller once and it worked great. Not sure of the brand but no complaints.
Kanusport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
kpm
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Mound , Minnesota
Everyone pulling an Airstream uses or should use a brake controller.

If you have a functioning 7-way trailer connector (the round socket on the back of your X3), the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller would be an excellent choice. If not, the wireless version of the P3 is the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Brake Controller, which will work without requiring any towing wiring, works well. You can't go wrong with either one of them.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 03:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
+1 for the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Trailer Brake Controller. I use one when towing with the Cayenne and it saves from having that ugly controller mounted under the dash and banging it with my knee. They also work very well.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2018, 07:37 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Tallahassee , FLORIDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpm View Post
Everyone pulling an Airstream uses or should use a brake controller.

If you have a functioning 7-way trailer connector (the round socket on the back of your X3), the Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller would be an excellent choice. If not, the wireless version of the P3 is the Tekonsha Prodigy RF Wireless Brake Controller, which will work without requiring any towing wiring, works well. You can't go wrong with either one of them.

The wireless option sounds good, especially on a brand new vehicle.
Thanks to all for your input, it's been most helpful.
Old 11-23-2018, 05:23 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2019 16' Sport
Tallahassee , FLORIDA
Quote:
Originally Posted by waninae39 View Post
an article why break controllers are important
https://driving.ca/honda/auto-news/n...than-you-think

Thanks Waninae. Great article. BTW, I like your TV and rig combo!