Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #1
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
Bought F-350 w/3 days of warranty!!!

I bought a used truck yesterday. Seems fine. It's a 2006 F-350 V10 FX4 and it's warranty expires in 3 days.

Although it seems pretty much fine to me, I'm unfamiliar with such things. It's possible something that I could have fixed on warranty for free is wrong with it, but I don't know how to find it.

What would you do?
Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
I bought a used truck yesterday. Seems fine. It's a 2006 F-350 V10 FX4 and it's warranty expires in 3 days.

Although it seems pretty much fine to me, I'm unfamiliar with such things. It's possible something that I could have fixed on warranty for free is wrong with it, but I don't know how to find it.

What would you do?
I'd go drive it A LOT today to see if I could find anything wrong....no kidding!
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:53 AM   #3
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I checked the things I know how to check - lights, radio, seat operation - not the big ticket items. I just wouldn't know if there's a problem w/the drivetrain or not. I don't know what to look for.

One thing I know is that between 53 and 56 MPH it shakes. Sounds like a non-covered wheel balance issue, but could it be something else?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
I would certainly spend a few $ and take it to a non related mechanic aqnd have it checked very well.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:32 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I would spend a day driving the truck in all conditions while trying out all of the systems and accessories. I would even take a test run pulling the Airatream.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Go to a Ford forum and ask what the trouble things are with that model. You should get a quick answer. Or, stop by a Ford dealership and talk to a service adviser, they know what problems people have on certain models. Doing waranty work is something they get paid for by Ford so they should tell you and be glad to check it out to get a potential new customer.
Bluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
I agree with WillyD. If you are not an above average owner/driver with good mechanical abilities, I wouldn't trust myself to catch a problem. The shaking you mention could be as simple as a tire balance. It could also be a very major item. Although I don't want to jump on you after the fact, for the sake of others who may read this, don't invest tens of thousands of dollars in a vehicle until you have it thoroughly gone over by a trusted pro. A couple of hundred spent on a complete inspection might save years of grief! This is especially important when considering a diesel whose injector pump and injectors could top six or seven thousand dollars.

Gene
Old 03-12-2009, 08:57 AM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Drive to the Ford dealer and tell them you just bought the truck.. i bet they are running a free multipoint inspection as everyone is these days.. (deception for upselling work) Most of their techs are going home by noon in this current economy and would be happy to notice something under warranty for you. They are not allowed by the manufacture to upsell warranty but you could suggest that they take care of any open recalls or campaigns or (known issue's) that they might come across. Tell them that you are going to be a regular customer and do all your servicing with them. They wont want to have the conversation that goes like this on your next visit.. Mr. Service Mgr, My truck was just in here two weeks ago and you told me everything was ok and now your telling me the transmission is going out? Why didnt you address while it was in warranty??

Good luck..

Kill them with kindness.. it always works.. Bring a box of donuts for the techs.. everyone will look after you.

Vin

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
If you are unsure and not capable of doing your own repairs Id opted for an extended warranty. I think Ford may offer such a plan for a fee and there a lots of co's out there that are selling extended warranties. I get the ads every week.
IF U THINK U HAVE A PROBLEM U NEED TO TAKE IT BACK NOW.
Dealers don't like to lose business especially with the economy the way it is.
GOOD LUCK
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
When you go to the Ford dealer, ask them how much the factory extended warranty is. It'll probably cost you a thousand dollars, but if the transmission goes South next week, it will cost 3 times that amount to repair. Not saying it will, just reminding you that Murphy is alive and well. If you don't get the warranty, that may well happen, if you do, you will probably have many years' trouble-free use from the truck.
I wouldn't get the aftermarket extended warranties if I had a choice, they can be more trouble than they are worth in many cases.

Also, some Triton V 10 engines had an issue with piston galling, this was fixed after the second or third years' production, but the chance of this happening with any of them is greatly reduced by using synthetic lube oil in the proper SAE rating.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
On an unrelated note, I would strongly suggest that you get yourself one of these towing if you tow that pretty new Airstream with a 1 tonner:

Receiver Air Hitches

Back to your question, lots of great info here. My favorite is to go onto the Ford forums and see what they say and also check with your local dealer to see what an extended might run ya.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:06 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
check this

• I have had several Ford trucks. All of the late model ones I had suffered from transmission problems....right at the time that the warranty ran out. (I went to Duramax/allison a couple years ago and no problem yet.) Have a dealer check the tranny for you.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
When you go to the Ford dealer, ask them how much the factory extended warranty is. It'll probably cost you a thousand dollars...
Make that two thousand -

I was looking for the same warranty when I purchased the Excursion - shop several dealerships for the warranty - I found a huge price differential for the same warranty - from $1700 to $2600. The less expensive policies came from shops who apparently wrote a lot of insurance, and also knew much more about it. Ford Truck Forums Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums - Ford truck and SUV owners and enthusiasts Community And Information Source. was a good source of info for me.

IIRC, the 2 grand got you out to four more years or 100,000 miles, whichever came first. The better dealerships would write the adder even if the time since initial purchase was slightly over the 36 month max.

Most of the mechanics I talked to in researching the purchase volunteered that the 6.8 liter V-10 was fairly bullet-proof - some blown spark plugs the first year or so of production, but no real problems after Ford increased the thread area on the plugs (2002?). Most owners have stated pulling and performance on par with the 6.0 liter Diesel, but without the clatter, fumes, and black oil associated with a diesel - and you don't have an expensive turbo to worry about.

If your trucks mileage is low enough to take advantage of the 4 year coverage I would think that the Ford Extended Warranty would be very attractive. I am pretty sure it is almost "bumper to bumper" (covers things like alternators and starters) and , again, IIRC, the non-covered portion of each event (deductable) is 50 or 100 bucks.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:41 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian View Post
I bought a used truck yesterday. Seems fine. It's a 2006 F-350 V10 FX4 and it's warranty expires in 3 days....
What would you do?
If you are only going to tow the airstream, and never (or very seldom) really load the bed, I would suggest changing the rear (also maybe the front) springs - Ford's spring setups are surprisingly universal (4 X 4 only - non FWD's had coils on the front) on the F-250+ and Excursion series. B, C, P, X, and W springs are some of the options - and Ford also has a variety of front and rear block heights to keep the thing level.

The Excursion has a really soft spring both front and rear to compete with the Suburban suspension - most of the load on my Ex is almost totally supported by the primary (soft) spring - both front and rear.

A 350 ride does not have to be harsh as long as you are willing to compromise some of the load carrying capability for a softer suspension.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
You may want to check your driveshaft for the vib problem. about 2005 there was some driveshaft problems. or if the truck has been lifted or lowered it will change the driveline angle which will cause an inbalance. Adios, John
Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I have dropped the truck off at my closes Ford dealer with 4 items for warranty work, and to get the 30,000 mile service (including automatic transmission servicing) which involves a lot of inspection. If they find a warranty issue during the inspections, they can do that under warranty.

I'm still mulling the service contract. Key in that would be that it can be canceled with refund, but I don't have the particulars on that. Maybe after 3 months I want to get the $40/month back in my pocket.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Hedonistic Bohemian

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I got the truck back from the Ford dealer. I had asked for about $300 in service interval work to be done including a great many inspections. Passed everything just fine.

We discussed four warranty items and they were all fixed: the Ford emblem on the front grill had gotten weird looking, the rear sliding window wasn't happy, the door pull on the inside of the drivers door had significant play in it, and the driver's side key didn't like to open the lock and you had to jigger it. Nice.

I talked to the finance dude about the FordESP. Of the four levels I zero'ed in on the next to the bottom, powertrain plus air conditioning. He quoted $1955 for a 6 year 75000 mile plan with $200 per-incident deductible (3 more years, 40000 more miles). I'm not generally an extended warranty buyer, but then this is a used vehicle. And I can cancel after one or two months if I later decide to do that.

My feeling at this point is that I can afford to "self-insure". If I get hit with a $2000 covered problem in a year or two, I'll just pay the $2000 then rather than now. If it's more I lose. If it's less I win. I think it's unlikely to happen by 75000 miles, and that would just be a break even gamble. I feel pretty good about the situation and rather doubt I'll get the plan just to buy a month or two in which to uncover hidden issues.

The support of this group has been awesome as usual. Thanks so much.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
Halimer

2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Get the engine, transmission and rear axle oil analyzed. There should be a local lab in your area. That should show any internal problems.
halimer is offline   Reply With Quote