Old 03-12-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
You may want to check your driveshaft for the vib problem. about 2005 there was some driveshaft problems. or if the truck has been lifted or lowered it will change the driveline angle which will cause an inbalance. Adios, John

Diesel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Hedonistic Bohemian
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I have dropped the truck off at my closes Ford dealer with 4 items for warranty work, and to get the 30,000 mile service (including automatic transmission servicing) which involves a lot of inspection. If they find a warranty issue during the inspections, they can do that under warranty.

I'm still mulling the service contract. Key in that would be that it can be canceled with refund, but I don't have the particulars on that. Maybe after 3 months I want to get the $40/month back in my pocket.

Thanks for the advice.

Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #17
Hedonistic Bohemian
2007 27' Safari FB SE
Atlanta , Georgia
I got the truck back from the Ford dealer. I had asked for about $300 in service interval work to be done including a great many inspections. Passed everything just fine.

We discussed four warranty items and they were all fixed: the Ford emblem on the front grill had gotten weird looking, the rear sliding window wasn't happy, the door pull on the inside of the drivers door had significant play in it, and the driver's side key didn't like to open the lock and you had to jigger it. Nice.

I talked to the finance dude about the FordESP. Of the four levels I zero'ed in on the next to the bottom, powertrain plus air conditioning. He quoted $1955 for a 6 year 75000 mile plan with $200 per-incident deductible (3 more years, 40000 more miles). I'm not generally an extended warranty buyer, but then this is a used vehicle. And I can cancel after one or two months if I later decide to do that.

My feeling at this point is that I can afford to "self-insure". If I get hit with a $2000 covered problem in a year or two, I'll just pay the $2000 then rather than now. If it's more I lose. If it's less I win. I think it's unlikely to happen by 75000 miles, and that would just be a break even gamble. I feel pretty good about the situation and rather doubt I'll get the plan just to buy a month or two in which to uncover hidden issues.

The support of this group has been awesome as usual. Thanks so much.
Bohemian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #18
2006 25' Classic
New Hyde Park , New York
Get the engine, transmission and rear axle oil analyzed. There should be a local lab in your area. That should show any internal problems.

halimer is offline   Reply With Quote