Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-07-2017, 09:29 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I also use 4wd low a lot for better control getting into and out of a site. No spinning, much less heat in trans, better control.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I'm sitting here with a departure date of tomorrow morning. I now know (from experience) that the area in front of my spot turns into about a 6" deep lake in a big rain storm. The only way out is through that spot.

I've debated long and hard on the 4x4 vs 4x2 aspect of towing. Right now with rain in the forecast .... I'm glad I have the 4x4 ....If I didn't, we'd be hooking up and heading home right now. Instead I need to work on refilling this empty coffee cup

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' International
Huntington Beach , California
My vote is AWD, but I am biased

Our Land Rover has lockers everywhere. We had a 2WD Silverado and got stuck (my mistake) very easily on just trying to turn around on some wet leaves and a gentle slope. Bad went to worse, got stuck for a few hours. Luckily I was able to wave a Jeep down to save me.

I got lit up my my wife, then the hunt for a new vehicle came. the Land Rover also lets us to a lot of exploring when camping. We use the AS as a base camp, and do a lot of off-roading. We are willing to sacrafice some wheelbase for air ride, independent suspension, and a go-anywhere vehicle. AWD is also nice for not having to put it in 4 when its slippery or going up dirt grades, just always has traction.
Old 08-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Somewhat on the same topic, is the Airstream ride height and clearances. I just got done lifting my 27FB, to match the ride height and hitch of my LX570. Airstreams are not known for their ground clearance, and I do find myself dragging at even gas stations.

The lowest point of the underbody of my 27FB (and I assume most models), is the tanks. The axle itself is a few inches above that. With the dexter lift kit (2.875") on my #11 axles, the axle itself is now about the same lowest height of the tanks.

This will also help when dumping the tanks, both to my back and added height advantage for the slinky.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
A 'Pickup Truck' without 4x4 is a City Truck or a Las Vegas Truck. Some out West consider a 2x4 pickup a 'Needing a Tow Truck'.

If you are looking for a 4x4 Pickup Truck... go where they drive 4x4's. I have never looked at nor seen a new 2wd pickup in a new car lot in Wyoming. When the drive wheel of a 2x4 is spinning... the other is standing still. The full time 4x4 SUV's are great for busting snow drifts...

A 2x4 truck needs a bumper jack, as the one tire digs a hole and cannot get out of it by itself.

A 4x4 will need a winch and cable to get out of being... stuck.

The 2x4 does have several hundred pounds less of iron up front, which is a plus.

The 4x4 can carry an extra several hundred pounds in the bed and not get stuck.

Both can carry two long benches with four hunters on each side.

Rivet Popping off the pavement? I, among anyone, have seen no relationship between popped rivets and traveling the back country. There is a better chance of popping interior rivets exiting a service station where the trailer rocks side to side.

Too stiff of a 4x4 suspension pops rivets? So far, the rivets I have popped... many others have the same curved areas having the same popping. Maybe a popped rivet is releasing the excess stress between those on either side, created during the manufacturing process.

Clearance of the trailer is best when traveling level. When on irregular roads with dips... the longer the trailer the better chance of dragging your bumper. Leaving a service station is the most likely place to drag your hitch shank or trailer bumper.

A bush is more likely to catch your plumbing and brake wiring Off the Grid, than dragging on pavement or a Forest Service road. After years of use, those low clearance automobiles 'level the rock and grit' on Forest Service roads.

I begin an Off the Grid Boondocking Adventure August 9th. Will I have to eat my rivets? Doubtful, but if I find any new popped rivets since the break in period, I will let you know. My count might have been five popped rivets and none since.
Old 09-03-2017, 07:28 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Byron Center , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I also use 4wd low a lot for better control getting into and out of a site. No spinning, much less heat in trans, better control.
I'm with you, Rich. The 4WD Low range gives tons of control without as much "surge" from the drivetrain. Even better, 2WD Low is amazing for control, and doesn't bind the drivetrain on pavement. After several trucks with manual hubs and an older Super Duty that I wired to disconnect the front hubs in low, I've grown to love this capability.

I've been searching the forum, and was wondering if anyone with a newer Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon has figured out how to disconnect the front hubs. Looks like a vacuum line runs out to the hubs, but I haven't been able to trace it back to a solenoid to wire in a dash switch.

Thanks,
Larry
YippieKiYa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
As a side note, I got my 4x4 diesel TV stuck while exploring unhitched this trip. Soft sand and a bad guess as to trying to park. Fortunately someone who was equipped pulled me out right away.

I can see how a stiff suspension tightly hitched for weight transfer could put more load on the trailer frame in dips. But do not see how stiffer suspension on the truck could make the trailer bounce more or ride rougher. I think the trailer ride is determined mostly by the tire pressure of the trailer. We run at 50 psi and it seems to ride smooth.

Have logged about 50,000 miles towing my 25' with a 2500 4x4 with no damage that I can see to the trailer. My body is beat up from driving the truck unhitched though. Solid axles and short wheelbase and stiff springs take a tool on the driver on rough roads.
Bill M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
When the lane is gonna end, you're at the red light in Detroit and it's raining...you need 4wd.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:30 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 25' Globetrotter
Santa Rosa , California
I shift into 4Low when backing the AS up my own (steep) driveway. It affords better traction and control and it's easier on the transmission. A 4x4 TV just offers more flexibility and options even at the cost of some payload capability.

2020 25' Globetrotter Twin | 2024 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali Ult. 4x4 Duramax
400Ah Battle Born lithium battery string | 580W solar (400W roof 180W portable)
mikeinca is offline   Reply With Quote