Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2015, 04:46 PM   #181
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
Well I bet while towing you have much more power than your old Navigator. I get about 10 mpg with my Expedition towing. Seems like about all tow vehicles get the same mpg while towing.
Hi, my truck definitely has way more power; even when it down shifts, it never sounds like it's working hard.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #182
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Widget View Post
What are your thoughts on the mirrors? Big enough as is? Ever wish for the bigger ones? I'm debating if I need the tow mirrors and some other finer points, but have been following your thread closely.

Hi, having the big mirrors was a major thing for me; I would never go without them. it makes life so much easier than with the little mirrors and extensions. seemed that no-one had them in stock. Mine was bought from a dealer in Reno, Nevada and trailered to Salem, Oregon.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #183
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Norwalk , Connecticut
I have yet to even spot my unicorn......
Widget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:44 PM   #184
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
One year old report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, On October 6th 2014 I bought a new 2014 F-150. I brought it home and took the family for a short drive in it. [about 20 miles] On the 7th of October I managed to get my Lincoln hitched up to my Safari, park my new F-150 in the garage with my wife's BMW X-3 with trickle chargers on both of them. Then on the 8th of October, we left for a two month vacation. Now we have been home for a while and I'm working on getting my 1,000 mile break-in done before towing duty. Today I bought my first tank of gas. Hard to believe that I actually own a full sized pick-up that will go over 500 miles on one tank. My Lincoln, BMW, 59 Galaxie, and Aprilia all took Premium gas and I had to rehearse asking for Regular. In Oregon I can't fill my own tank, by law.

(1.) October 6th new truck at the selling dealer.

(2.) New truck squeezed into my garage for two month hibranation.

(3.) Lincoln on first day of it's last towing job.

(4.) Getting to the bottom of the first tank of gas.

(5.) Digital display at gas station.

(6.) Close up of Fuel mileage, miles to empty, and total miles driven. My 36 gallon tank took 33.3 gallons to fill so I could have gone quite a bit father than the 8 miles to empty shown.
Quote:
Hi, here is some basic information about my truck.

2014 F-150 Supercrew
145" wheelbase
3.5L Ecoboost V-6 engine
Electronic 6-speed auto w/tow mode
Exterior, Oxford White
Interior, Gray cloth bucket seats.

Equipment group 302A:
XLT series
XLT convenience package
Power driver's seat
Power adjustable pedals
Reverse sensing system
Power sliding rear window
Rear defroster/defogger
XLT chrome package
Rear view camera
Trailer brake control

Optional equipment:
LT275/65R18 OWL All-Terrain
3:73 Electronic locking rear differential
7650# GVWR package
36 gallon tank
Off road package with skid plates
HID headlamps
Max trailer tow package
Tailgate step
Quote:
Hi, changes made to date and things to be done in the future.

Weathertech Floor liners.

Tailgate anti-theft device.

Rear fender liners.

Retrax Pro bed cover. [not installed yet]

Line-X spray on bed liner. [not installed yet]
Quote:
Hi, I will update information as it comes. I have read so many bad reviews and so many great reviews on these trucks; I can only tell it like it is. Hoping for the best because this truck is mine and might be my last.
Hi, we finally were able to take a trip with my truck, and what a trip it was. We were gone for 3 1/2 months and put over 13,000 miles towing our trailer and about another 2,000 without the trailer. So maybe 15,000 miles total. This truck will climb any mountain, that we met, at the set cruise control speed which was mostly 65 MPH. It did down shift, but never sounded like it was working hard. Our gas mileage was up and down, but mostly right at 10.8 MPG. This is only slightly more than my Lincoln got, but handling more weight and power wise this truck out powers my Lincoln by quite a bit. My first oil change was done in Michigan. I was happy to be able to just drive in and get it done. Not happy with the mechanic who greased my steering wheel, driver's door panel, and left the rubber access cover hanging loose. My next stop at a Ford dealer was in New York for a tire rotation. And my third stop was at a Ford dealer in Texas; They had an area where I could unhook and park my trailer while my truck got it's second oil change.

Concerns with new truck:

(1.) Noise from passenger mirror. Might be fixed.

(2.) Noise from engine area; Sounds like sheet metal vibration. "Possible normal noise from turbo chargers". I think differently about it.

(3.) Radio goes from USB to AM radio on re-starts. "Possible normal", but if it goes from FM to AM on re-start, I'm not buying it.

(4.) When cold, Hard shift into second gear at very slow speeds. Ford checked it and did an update on the computer. Now it no longer shifts hard into second gear while cold and at slow speeds, it does it in third gear.

(5.) Intermittent humming noise at slow speeds when cold; Sounds like Air Bypass Valve noise to me. Unable to duplicate concern at dealer.

This is my big five hit list of things that need attention after one year and over 21,000 miles. We love this truck these things aren't a big deal for me, but I will find and fix/get fixed what is needed and learn what is actually normal or not. I have never owned a turbo charged vehicle before, so some items might be normal. I'm also doing internet searches on these items to see if other people have these concerns and if they found a cure.

As I promised, I call them as they are, good ,bad, and the ugly. [No sugar coating here]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 11-08-2015, 04:40 AM   #185
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good report from an actual owner with enough miles to be relevant. Appears you made a good choice for a tv. Thanks for the info.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #186
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
How do you find the engine compression to be going downhill vs the Lincoln (which I assume was a larger 8)?
Old 11-08-2015, 03:45 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTTinNJ View Post
How do you find the engine compression to be going downhill vs the Lincoln (which I assume was a larger 8)?
Hi, I anticipated having less engine braking with a 3.5 L V-6. My Lincoln's 5.4 L V-8 was quite a bit better. In places where my Lincoln never or seldom needed a touch on the brake pedal, my F-150 requires some braking. [note: the F-150 has much larger brakes] Other than engine braking, and turning radius, the F-150 is better at everything else.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 11-10-2015, 07:32 PM   #188
3 Rivet Member

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Hi Bob, I'm curious what grade of fuel you were running. I have pretty much the same truck and know that Ford recommends premium when towing, but it doesn't seem to make much difference in actual performance.

Apologies in advance if you discussed this already, but I didn't see it if you did 😄

Thanks,

Climber

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 11-10-2015, 09:57 PM   #189
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climber View Post
Hi Bob, I'm curious what grade of fuel you were running. I have pretty much the same truck and know that Ford recommends premium when towing, but it doesn't seem to make much difference in actual performance.

Apologies in advance if you discussed this already, but I didn't see it if you did ��

Thanks,

Climber

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Hi, Climber; Basically, only 87 octane except for the few places that only had 86 or 88 octane. To this date, I have not tried Premium. So far, I have had more than enough power.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 11-22-2015, 11:25 AM   #190
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Bob's 2014 F-150 report.

Nice report. I will add to yours on my '15 truck's first towing trip. The mpg was about the same overall from the '09 which is what I expected when towing- 12mpg on the first leg and 11.2 mpg coming back with a strong crosswind. The biggest difference, like you, is the vast amount of power available. I also use regular. Premium is not required for towing.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:46 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, while tinkering around under my truck, I didn't like the sound of my skid plate when hit with my hand or my rubber mallet. Kind of like a sheet metal rattling noise. So I bought a sheet of sound deadening, and heat shield material. Less chance of engine vibrations causing a noise from the skid plate.

Also for those who keep saying that you have to have an eight foot bed to carry plywood Etc. This is my truck with eight foot long 4X4's in a 5.5' bed. With 3"s hanging over the tailgate, I have no problem carrying eight foot lumber.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000758.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	392.1 KB
ID:	258960   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000757.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	351.8 KB
ID:	258961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000759.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	347.5 KB
ID:	258962   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000760.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	258963  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 03-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #192
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
Thank you for this extensive report. I have been coming back to it ever since you started it. It was probably one of the main deciding factors when we finally committed to an F-150 3.5 Eco Platinum at the end of last summer.

Being in Michigan we haven't had much chance for towing the AS but we did manage 500 miles and it was like driving a Cadillac. After 4000 miles of winter driving we are still loving it. It has behaved impeccably driving on our farmland roads (like solid ice). What's not to love about remote start, heated seats and steering wheel heat when it's -30 windchill! Roll on summer. We are headed off around various Michigan places, Alumapalooza and an east coast caravan in Fall. Can't wait.

My only fault so far is the lane assist has stopped working recently (yes I know the button is behind the shift) so it's a visit to the dealer soon.

The cat loves it too and rides on the console as copilot.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:38 PM   #193
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanK1 View Post
Thank you for this extensive report. I have been coming back to it ever since you started it. It was probably one of the main deciding factors when we finally committed to an F-150 3.5 Eco Platinum at the end of last summer.

Being in Michigan we haven't had much chance for towing the AS but we did manage 500 miles and it was like driving a Cadillac. After 4000 miles of winter driving we are still loving it. It has behaved impeccably driving on our farmland roads (like solid ice). What's not to love about remote start, heated seats and steering wheel heat when it's -30 windchill! Roll on summer. We are headed off around various Michigan places, Alumapalooza and an east coast caravan in Fall. Can't wait.

My only fault so far is the lane assist has stopped working recently (yes I know the button is behind the shift) so it's a visit to the dealer soon.

The cat loves it too and rides on the console as copilot.
Interesting comments Duncan. Thanks

I will be interested to see how you like it once your towing longer hauls. We have a 2014 F150 and have been considering upgrading to the 2016.

With your truck did you get the HD Payload package and HD Tow package. If I remember right the HD payload package only became available in late summer. I think the payload pac will make a big difference in ones payload capabilities. I think most of the payloads at the Platinum trim levels are running around 1600 without PL-Package. But could get much hight than that with it.

Anyway, if you don't mind me asking. What east coast caravan are you planning. We're booked into the Nor By Nor East for 2017 but I'm thinking we will forgo it and go on our own next fall.

Thanks again

Doug
Old 03-25-2016, 02:37 PM   #194
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Flying Cloud
Berrien Springs , Michigan
Doug,

We are wait-listed for NorbyNoreast 2017, and we think we are highly likely to get on the Southeast Coast Spectacular this year (top of the waitlist currently).

We would have had to wait 4-5 mths for the HD-Payload so we didn't get that. We also would have the same wait for the 6.5' bed so that got canned too. The Tow Package is of course a must. Very happy with the overall weight capacities and handling. 1571 lbs before anyone asks.
DuncanK1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:40 PM   #195
Rivet Master

2013 28' Flying Cloud
Central , Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanK1 View Post
Doug,

We are wait-listed for NorbyNoreast 2017, and we think we are highly likely to get on the Southeast Coast Spectacular this year (top of the waitlist currently).

We would have had to wait 4-5 mths for the HD-Payload so we didn't get that. We also would have the same wait for the 6.5' bed so that got canned too. The Tow Package is of course a must. Very happy with the overall weight capacities and handling. 1571 lbs before anyone asks.
Thanks for this Duncan. I'm amazed that even without the HD payload, and such a hight trim package that you were able to get almost 1600 of payload. That speaks well for the new body!
Cheers
Doug
Old 04-04-2016, 04:54 AM   #196
Holiday Ramblers

2020 25' Globetrotter
Springfield , Missouri
All good stuff. I've got the same vehicle, no offload package. I added a camper shell, and am considering the wheel well liners. Did you do mud flaps? Also if you have not already done the bed, I'd suggest looking at the Bedrug product - a lot easier on the knees and pretty durable as long as you are going to put a cover on the bed.
Old 04-04-2016, 11:35 PM   #197
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by badib-yazdi View Post
All good stuff. I've got the same vehicle, no offload package. I added a camper shell, and am considering the wheel well liners. Did you do mud flaps? Also if you have not already done the bed, I'd suggest looking at the Bedrug product - a lot easier on the knees and pretty durable as long as you are going to put a cover on the bed.

Hi, I didn't add mud flaps yet, but I might later. I had a Line-X spray on bed liner installed.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144