Old 10-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy_hollow View Post
I've been reading a great deal recently on the new German diesels coming from BMW, Mercedes, VW, and Audi. So far there are two variations, but they all share the same Nox treatment system using Urea. Keep in mind, VW Audi and Porsche will all use the same power plant and BMW and MB collaborated on the design of the "bluetec" solution, although BMW calls it something completely different now.

I went so far as to go down to our local Mercedes dealer and try out a GL CDI and an ML CDI. Both were very nice, but for most of the modern 25' trailers I think I would only feel comfortable with the GL. But that begs the question, would you tow a trailer with a $65K luxury suv???

The BlueTecs and the VW variants are very interesting, but they are compromises over the CDI in order to meet the Tier 2 Bin 5 requirements to be sold in 50 states. I cannot say for certain for the BMW and VW solutions, but the Mercedes ML and GL do not have a Spare Tire.... no kidding. The area for the spare is used for the Urea tank and they come with run-flat tires. So adding to my question, would you want to tow with a $65k luxury suv without a spare tire

When I spoke to the BMW dealer about the X5 diesel coming out he seemed to indicate that a spare tire was included, albeit a donut versus a full size spare and that the urea tanks are located in two separate tanks, one heated on the inside and a second further in so it doesn't freeze. Overall I thought the BMW solution for urea treatment was nicer than Mercedes, plus fit and finish of an X5 is IMHO better than an ML or GL.

The one point I have not heard about the X5 is will it start if the urea tank is empty? Apparently the MB solution will not.

Looking forward to hearing about the first tow with one of these X5 diesels!!

Doug
Exactly! $65k for a race inspired grocery hauler that will get you and the trailer there in one piece?

The type of people that buy these Mercedes/Cayennes etc, just aren't going to be the people wrestling with the stinky slinky on weekends.

The campgrounds we've been to just don't seem to have any imported tow vehicles hanging around.

Ford, GM or Chrysler... take your pick.

yakman

Old 10-29-2008, 10:56 PM   #30
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
Exactly! $65k for a race inspired grocery hauler that will get you and the trailer there in one piece.

yakman
To the Grocery store.......right?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 11:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Exactly! $65k for a race inspired grocery hauler that will get you and the trailer there in one piece?

The type of people that buy these Mercedes/Cayennes etc, just aren't going to be the people wrestling with the stinky slinky on weekends.

The campgrounds we've been to just don't seem to have any imported tow vehicles hanging around.

yakman
Yawn! Grocery getter comparisons are tiresome. While some may use them as that, many others are looking for a quality vehicle that is quite capable and more versatile than just a big ol' truck. Each type of vehicle will have it's own merits, but until you have compared both side by side by actually using them, you don't know.
Old 10-30-2008, 08:05 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
Quote:

yakman

I wasn't bashing the idea of using one for hauling toys around, but I doubt I would buy a Mercedes and use it for camping, but that's not to say I would not buy an X5. Depending on the part of the country, I am seeing a bit more of the non-traditional tow vehicles such as land rovers, X5, and a ton of Toyotas. The funny looking ones to be are the Bling'd out Hummer H2s, but that's another thread.

My trailer is vintage and weighs in less than 3500 lbs dry and I would very much like to trade my sequoia for a diesel X5. BMW build quality is excellent and when you add it all up, a Diesel X5 compared to the Duramax, allison extra cab truck... there really isn't much difference in price...$10K maybe. I've grown up along side detroit trucks and some are ok but only in the last couple years has detroit started building trucks that have the same build quality as Toyota. My opinion, if I'm going to spend that kind of money on a new tv I'd rather spend the extra for a Bimmer which also includes maintenance during the warranty.

I also think we're in for a shift in tow vehicles to more foreign diesels, Honda is a good rising example and the one on the horizon is Hyundai/Kia (laugh away) which are bringing their Diesel 6 cycl out in the next two years. All of a sudden, the Borrego would be a TV option. GM has canned the next version of the Tahoe and Yukon, which means their future and the escalade is iffy. Autoblog carried an article saying it might end up on the Lambda platform which last I read was a car platform. Add in GM seems more interested in the Volt than Tier2 Bin5 diesels......

Certainly for the larger units, American rigs will rule until Toyota puts out a proper HD version of the Tundra. But, look at the sales of airstreams and the trend to me seems to be going towards smaller lighter for the avid camper and 25-28 for full timers. For those there are plenty of non-detroit options out there. This first wave of German Diesels is very compelling for people who like to camp but don't want to tow with a detroit oil burner. Give it another couple years and I think the landscape for TVs is going to shift quickly.

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 10:44 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Chrysler is having Cummins develop a V6 diesel for "light duty" use, meaning 1/2 ton pickups and cars. Whether Chrysler will be around to put the vehicles into production is questionable.

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Yawn! Grocery getter comparisons are tiresome. While some may use them as that, many others are looking for a quality vehicle that is quite capable and more versatile than just a big ol' truck. Each type of vehicle will have it's own merits, but until you have compared both side by side by actually using them, you don't know.
Ok, got me! How about golf club haulers...?

or mall rat haulers.. They certanily will not be loading bags of mulch into the Cayenne.

A few people will have one and will haul with it... but the impact of high priced turbo diesels from Germany will be about zero in the American trailer market. Look at diesel prices today... The difference is over $1.30/gallon right now.. and when people have to pay extra for the diesel option.. $7k in a Chevy, they simply will not pay it. There's no shortage of forum posters who say they don't need no stinking 3/4 ton to haul their 27 or 28 footer around.

What percentage of people buying a $60k+ SUV haul trailers around on weekends? Don't they usually have a boat moored somewhere or tow the SUV behind a PREVOST?

They're certainly fun to talk about though. They just missed their time. Most people won't pay more to save later.

yakman
Old 10-30-2008, 07:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Most people won't pay more to save later.
And this is what's really sad and having negative impacts on the economy. The disposable culture appears to be winning.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote