Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Is the soon to be VW diesel the same as in the Sprinter? I think VW vans in Germany are made by MB? zz

Old 10-22-2008, 10:06 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Perhaps what we're seeing here is a belief in bio-diesel for the future? Seems reasonable. What doesn't make any sense is "why are the Japanese and Germans leading the way on this while GM, Ford, and Chrysler seem to be ignoring the medium size diesel engine markets!" On a similar thought, Chrysler has had a great engine in the Sprinter Vans, but why didn't that engine make it's way into some Rams or even a Sprinter extended cab pickup?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:08 AM   #17
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Mine's better than yours, yeah but mine's bigger.

Rag-on gang....it makes for entertaining reading.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigzagguzzi View Post
Is the soon to be VW diesel the same as in the Sprinter? I think VW vans in Germany are made by MB? zz
No.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Perhaps what we're seeing here is a belief in bio-diesel for the future? Seems reasonable. What doesn't make any sense is "why are the Japanese and Germans leading the way on this while GM, Ford, and Chrysler seem to be ignoring the medium size diesel engine markets!" On a similar thought, Chrysler has had a great engine in the Sprinter Vans, but why didn't that engine make it's way into some Rams or even a Sprinter extended cab pickup?
Right on BOB. In Europe they have Chrysler 300's with powerful 3.0L Diesels. When will we get the option???

Chrysler 300 CRD - Features - Diesel Power Magazine
Old 10-22-2008, 11:03 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Nice link! A Chrysler 300 with a combined fuel economy of 29mpg! About the same as a Chevy Cobalt!
Old 10-22-2008, 01:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Airstream vans are made in europe and imported...

Quote:

The title line says it all....

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #22
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Perhaps what we're seeing here is a belief in bio-diesel for the future? Seems reasonable. What doesn't make any sense is "why are the Japanese and Germans leading the way on this while GM, Ford, and Chrysler seem to be ignoring the medium size diesel engine markets!"
This is not necessarily true. GM does have in development 1 or 2 smaller block diesels on the drawing boards. As with any product, there is about a 1 to 2 year turnaround making the dream a reality. The announcement was made about a year ago IIRC. Though what I read clearly was not designed for say a Cobalt or an Aveo, these engines could be installed into the Impala instead of the 5.3L gasser and a number of other vehicles, raising the fleet MPG averages. I think the next real money GM is placing it's bets on is cars like the Volt. Diesel is great, don't get me wrong, but to go 40 miles on zero gas, diesel, etc is really where it's at given that diesel and gas is still a pretty penny.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikethefixit View Post
Its Ok U guys go drive your short wheelbase BEAMERS and whatever,that are 1/2 the weight of what U are pullin and When I see U tied up in a knot in the median strip I will not even slow up, Cause then I'd have to tell ya "I TOLD YA SO"
Funny thing thing is that I've only seen the big old American pick-up trucks are twisted up on the side of the road. I've never caught a glimpse of these German vehicles in the situation you described. I suppose it could happen, but of course companies like Airtream (you've heard of them I hope) use Porsche TV for their demos.

Look this is a simple thing. These German vehicles have superior engines, superior transmissions, superior suspensions and superior technology to American vehicles. Yes American 3/4 ton TV have bigger engines, are longer and heavier. Those are flaws, not benefits. Weight decreases handling, big engines eat gas and longer just means less space in the lot. I'd rather do more with less.

And cutting to the chase - How in the heck could anyone argue that a solid rear axle could in anyway compete with independent rear suspension? Do you still use a coal furnace to heat your house? That's just a starting point. If you want to get into a little bit of engineering you'd realize that those heavy steel frames are inferior to modern unibody construction which is significantly stronger and lighter.

I really laugh when I hear people supporting these anequated technologies. Antiques are nice for collecting but not for daily use.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:17 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt14 View Post
Funny thing thing is that I've only seen the big old American pick-up trucks are twisted up on the side of the road. I've never caught a glimpse of these German vehicles in the situation you described. I suppose it could happen, but of course companies like Airtream (you've heard of them I hope) use Porsche TV for their demos.

Look this is a simple thing. These German vehicles have superior engines, superior transmissions, superior suspensions and superior technology to American vehicles. Yes American 3/4 ton TV have bigger engines, are longer and heavier. Those are flaws, not benefits. Weight decreases handling, big engines eat gas and longer just means less space in the lot. I'd rather do more with less.

And cutting to the chase - How in the heck could anyone argue that a solid rear axle could in anyway compete with independent rear suspension? Do you still use a coal furnace to heat your house? That's just a starting point. If you want to get into a little bit of engineering you'd realize that those heavy steel frames are inferior to modern unibody construction which is significantly stronger and lighter.

I really laugh when I hear people supporting these anequated technologies. Antiques are nice for collecting but not for daily use.
In YOUR opinion....

To each their own, If you want to spend your money on Jerman, Orental, Swedash, Frensh or Corein: go for it. Laff away.

We've all made our own choices and THATS what important.

I'm done now.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:18 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by reddirt14 View Post

Looks like a solid axle here..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mack_ru_CL.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	70411  
Old 10-29-2008, 07:08 AM   #26
1 Rivet Member

Chicago , Illinois
That's a tractor. Have you ridden a semi/tractor before? It does it's job, barring ice, where it earned the term "jack-knife". But it's not a pleasant ride by any means. It's a rough job driving a tractor trailer. I have allot of respect for folks that can manage to stay in that business. It keeps America going.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:25 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1956 22' Caravanner
Mendon , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to muddy_hollow Send a message via Yahoo to muddy_hollow
German Diesels and Tier 2 Bin 5

I've been reading a great deal recently on the new German diesels coming from BMW, Mercedes, VW, and Audi. So far there are two variations, but they all share the same Nox treatment system using Urea. Keep in mind, VW Audi and Porsche will all use the same power plant and BMW and MB collaborated on the design of the "bluetec" solution, although BMW calls it something completely different now.

I went so far as to go down to our local Mercedes dealer and try out a GL CDI and an ML CDI. Both were very nice, but for most of the modern 25' trailers I think I would only feel comfortable with the GL. But that begs the question, would you tow a trailer with a $65K luxury suv???

The BlueTecs and the VW variants are very interesting, but they are compromises over the CDI in order to meet the Tier 2 Bin 5 requirements to be sold in 50 states. I cannot say for certain for the BMW and VW solutions, but the Mercedes ML and GL do not have a Spare Tire.... no kidding. The area for the spare is used for the Urea tank and they come with run-flat tires. So adding to my question, would you want to tow with a $65k luxury suv without a spare tire

When I spoke to the BMW dealer about the X5 diesel coming out he seemed to indicate that a spare tire was included, albeit a donut versus a full size spare and that the urea tanks are located in two separate tanks, one heated on the inside and a second further in so it doesn't freeze. Overall I thought the BMW solution for urea treatment was nicer than Mercedes, plus fit and finish of an X5 is IMHO better than an ML or GL.

The one point I have not heard about the X5 is will it start if the urea tank is empty? Apparently the MB solution will not.

Looking forward to hearing about the first tow with one of these X5 diesels!!

Doug

muddy_hollow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:22 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
As I understand it, Volvo is also making diesels that will hopefully be available here soon.

cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote