Old 07-13-2010, 04:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Well, in that case see if these whet your appetite! This is being towed with my 2006 V8. The V10 does an even better job, and they can be found used for about $32 to $35K.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream-006.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	300.4 KB
ID:	106756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream-007.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	301.6 KB
ID:	106757  

Old 07-14-2010, 08:19 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prince William, , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyLens View Post
Excellent. Thanks for posting. So, you've not had any hitch issues? What hitch set up do you use? What year is the X5? The diesel is rated for 7200 lbs and with the higher torque it should be able to tow without a lot of gear hunting on hills, don't you think? It looks like the X5 is the optimal size for addressing our garage limitations and towing needs. Thanks a bunch for the post.
Sorry for late response. Currently relaxing in Airstream on Boone Lake in Tennessee. Hitch is standard BMW installed by BMW at their Performance Center in Greer SC. Airstream dealer installed eaz lift sway control which may help but I think X5 dynamic stability control does most of the work. Get 13mpg at 60 to 65mph. When I tow much lighter and smaller UHauls get about 10mpg. Currently have 55000 miles with about 10000 on Airstream and still have original brake pads. Most towing on I 81. Plan to replace the 2007 E70 when it reaches 100k. Most likely replacement will be X5 diesel.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbrb05 View Post
Currently towing 2009 23FB Flying Cloud with X5 4.8i Sport. At 6000/600 this is the largest Airstream for which the gasoline powered X5 is rated. Towing is very stable. Only issue is gear hunting on hills so I always use manual shift.

When not towing X5 is very sporty.
This is interesting that you're towing right at the limits for the X5 gas V8. I've been thinking more about a larger TT as a viable option. In terms of the diesel X5, or others, which all have max towing capacity of around 7200 lbs+ it might be reasonable to consider towing close to that limit. If so, that could put us in a 28ft Flying Cloud or International. It seems these diesels are highly reliable even under extended loads. And the handling quality should be sufficiently safe. Combined with a policy of driving mostly dry that would put us closer to 6500-6800 lbs for actual towing weight.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Well, in that case see if these whet your appetite! This is being towed with my 2006 V8. The V10 does an even better job, and they can be found used for about $32 to $35K.
This is very encouraging. Your 27' FB is rated at 7600 lbs loaded. You're post and a couple of others are leading me to think about towing the 28' Flying Cloud the the X5 35d or the Toureg TDI. I think the Q7 and the Merc GL are just a bit too long for our daily living situation. Thanks for your post.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:59 AM   #33
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi

If price was no object I would get the X5. Of all the deisel SUV's the handling is the best and the twin turbo diesel is amazing, ride is a little firmer though. We generally reinforce the BMW hitch just to be on the safe side but I have seen one tow a 34' for a couple of years without the reinforce and it never gave any trouble. This hitch is much stronger than the hitches on GM trucks etc.

The ML actually handles better than the GL. Even though the wheelbase is shorter it also has a shorter rear overhang and it is tuned for sportier handling the GL is tuned for a smooth ride. I prefer the spring suspension on the ML. The Mercedes hitch absolutely has to be strengthend, this does not mean that the body is not strong enough the body structure on all these vehicles is far solider than any body on frame vehicle you can buy. It is just a poor hitch.

The Touareg is the bargain of the bunch and if was looking for the best bang for the buck it would be the choice. Again we always strengthen the receivers but it looks like several here are towing with standard ones.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 03:09 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post
Hi

If price was no object I would get the X5. Of all the deisel SUV's the handling is the best and the twin turbo diesel is amazing, ride is a little firmer though. We generally reinforce the BMW hitch just to be on the safe side but I have seen one tow a 34' for a couple of years without the reinforce and it never gave any trouble. This hitch is much stronger than the hitches on GM trucks etc.

The ML actually handles better than the GL. Even though the wheelbase is shorter it also has a shorter rear overhang and it is tuned for sportier handling the GL is tuned for a smooth ride. I prefer the spring suspension on the ML. The Mercedes hitch absolutely has to be strengthend, this does not mean that the body is not strong enough the body structure on all these vehicles is far solider than any body on frame vehicle you can buy. It is just a poor hitch.

The Touareg is the bargain of the bunch and if was looking for the best bang for the buck it would be the choice. Again we always strengthen the receivers but it looks like several here are towing with standard ones.

I hope this helps.

Andrew T
Andrew,

Thanks for the advice. That is my current bias. I've owned several BMW's over the years, to include two X5's when they were new to the market. What I'm most excited about is I'm increasingly convinced that it would handle the 28' Flying Cloud. When we do so I'll will be in contact to determine what to do about the hitch.

What do you think about the $3500 "Adaptive Drive" option on the X5?

Seems like a lot of money and I haven't found any good reviews other than statements that it helps handling.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #35
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew T View Post

The Touareg is the bargain of the bunch and if was looking for the best bang for the buck it would be the choice.
now THATs funny, right there. "Touareg" and "bargain" in the same sentence.

I guess its all relative...

as Wally said, "Talk is cheap. Airstreams are not"
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:34 PM   #36
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
The BMW adaptive drive system is amazing, it is so good the differences are subtle but given enough of a test drive you will likely want to have it.

I have a less advanced version of adaptive drive on my Jaguar. It is fantastic when towing as the suspension automatically tunes itself to handle the additional weight. On the X5 I felt it improved the ride consderably without giving up any of the handling. It is one of those things you don't notice until you get out and drive something else.

I remember the first car I had with something along these lines was a 98 STS. At the time I was still drinking coffee and would often frequent a drive through. When I got out of the STS and into other vehicles I spilt the coffee all over me yet the STS handled very well.

I just looked at the US price of the X5 I thougth it would be about 80K but it is not bad.

It is nice enough that it could almost get me into and SUV but then again I would have to walk past the 3 series diesel to get it and well that would do it to me.

Andrew T

Old 08-04-2010, 09:37 PM   #37
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
One other thing the X5 will easily handle a 28' Airstream, maybe two.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Excellent. Adaptive drive it is. I just talked to someone else about it yesterday. They tow a 7000 lb trailer, not an AS, with the gas V8 and adaptive drive and they love it.

The other big factor is I race my MINI JCW in autocross and I do several track days a year. I like performance driving. Leaving that for months at a time for travel is a downer. In fact, I've been considering a motorhome so I could tow the mini and race in various places as we travel. But, in the end I just don't want a motor home. I want an AS. So, towing with the X5 is the next best thing. In fact, I have plans for some racing wheels and tires and a few other mods and plan occasional, maybe regular, autocross runs in it. Strange, I know, but it's a blast and a great skill builder. Trick will be determining the class I drive in....ha.
Old 08-06-2010, 05:23 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2009 23' FB Flying Cloud
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Prince William, , Virginia
When you autocross your X5 would appreciate pictures and details. Do you post on Bimmerfest X5 forum?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:56 AM   #40
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Don't have the X5 yet. I post all the MINI autocross stuff on the Lone Star Mini Club forums. When I get geared up with the X5 I'll definitely post on the X5 forum and here. One of the AS forum folks who uses the Toureg as their TV posted a video of an autocross run. Pretty cool. Certainly gets some attention from the local autocross crowd! Always great fun.

I'm really looking forward to it. Autocross is simply the best forum in which to build street driving skills. It is low risk (safer than the street) and no real wear and tear on the car other than tires. Throwing that much weight around an autocross run will be a trip.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:02 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbrb05 View Post
When you autocross your X5 would appreciate pictures and details. Do you post on Bimmerfest X5 forum?
Thanks for the idea. I just bookmarked the Bimmerfest X5 (E70) forum. Silly me for not thinking of it. When I get this rolling I'll definitely post some results, pics and video of an X5 in autocross mode...maybe I can arrange to do a few runs with the AS in tow!!

Just kidding.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:01 PM   #42
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
We will look forward to pics of the rig, and some driving reports.

I imagine you've already seen this one, still, I believe it the best preparation:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...-in-17984.html

Test drive X5 over to the nearest CAT Scale: full fuel, driver and otherwise empty. If time, use sides of scale to get right or left side off of pads and acquire all four individual wheel weights on second & third re-weigh (about $10, then $2 each followup).

As to " a few runs", when I installed the Hensley Arrow on my diesel Dodge and 34' Silver Streak (at about 6,900-lbs that day; truck at 7,400-lbs) I got out on I-20 west of Fort Worth and did full throttle-on, slammin' lane changes from shoulder to median strip and back across the Interstate at 55 mph. Couldn't shake it loose at all.

Would have gotten the Pro Pride (better weight-distribution fine tuning) but, alas, it came out a few months later.

I assume your trailer will have disc brakes? A sway-eliminating hitch and disc brakes is the gold standard, IMO. Many of us are also happy with CENTRAMATIC balancers.

Am much interested in mpg at various speeds on any turbodiesel rig.

Thanks.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote