Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pebbrb05 View Post
Currently towing 2009 23FB Flying Cloud with X5 4.8i Sport. At 6000/600 this is the largest Airstream for which the gasoline powered X5 is rated. Towing is very stable. Only issue is gear hunting on hills so I always use manual shift.

When not towing X5 is very sporty.
Excellent. Thanks for posting. So, you've not had any hitch issues? What hitch set up do you use? What year is the X5? The diesel is rated for 7200 lbs and with the higher torque it should be able to tow without a lot of gear hunting on hills, don't you think? It looks like the X5 is the optimal size for addressing our garage limitations and towing needs. Thanks a bunch for the post.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davern1 View Post
I tow my 22" International with a Cayenne S which is pretty similiar to the Toureg. It tows great, has plenty of power, huge brakes, etc.

Downsides, even without towing it goes through Brembo brakes in less than 20k miles and tires about every 15k miles. The car is notoriously finicky to brake controllers and led lights.

Its also really easy to want to speed which is probably not the best thing with the strem behind it. I won't buy another Cayenne for my next tow vehicle. I'd rather have somthing more pedestrian.
What kind of mileage do you get with the big V8?

Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
ML BlueTec too!

I just completed a 3000 mile round trip from Montreal to Virginia, through the Blueridge mountains, down to Atlanta, over to Myrtle Beach SC back up to Montreal with my 2 month old 2010 30' Flying Cloud, most of it in 95 degree heat.
It was as stable as could be. Although the ML sacrifices a few inches of wheelbase to the GL, it sits lower therefore has a lower center of gravity; less teeter tottering. Tried both, bough the ML.
Never had any problems with going up or down hills.
In fact, while on i84 heading west, a dear ran across the highway right in front of me forcing me to jam on the brakes hard wile going 65mph. I missed it by about 20'. Both TV and RV tracked and decelerated smooth and in control!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010603.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	106003   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream 30.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	106004  

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davern1 View Post
I tow my 22" International with a Cayenne S which is pretty similiar to the Toureg. It tows great, has plenty of power, huge brakes, etc.

Downsides, even without towing it goes through Brembo brakes in less than 20k miles and tires about every 15k miles. The car is notoriously finicky to brake controllers and led lights.

Its also really easy to want to speed which is probably not the best thing with the strem behind it. I won't buy another Cayenne for my next tow vehicle. I'd rather have somthing more pedestrian.
Wow, your Cayanne is hard on the brakes and tires. We too use a high performance vehicle with amazing brakes but have been getting over 45,K for the V rated tires and over 60,000 for the Hawk brake pads.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Hello Ron (with ML320),

At the risk of nagging you, I urge you to measure your tongue weight precisely.

Depending on how you load the trailer, there is a likely chance that the tongue weight is easily exceeding what ML320's hitch receiver is rated to handle. In this particular case, every time before setting out for the trip, it is important to confirm WD bars are adjusted properly, so that tongue weight is under 1000lb or whatever your receiver is rated for.

Strongly recommended:
Sherline Direct: LM1000/LM2000/LM5000 - Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scale

When I measured my tongue weight, I was surprised to find out, it was much much more than I had expected.

=====
I used to tow my 28' (empaty@5500lb) with Jeep Grand Cherokee (rated@6500lb); I didn't think it was all that bad -- I had yet to have other experiences to compare.

I now tow my 28' (fully-loaded@7500lb) with Hummer H2 (rated@8200lb). It's much more stable and it stops in confident manner.
Old 06-30-2010, 12:48 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 28' International CCD
West Hollywood , California
Transmission temperature gauge is absolute must-have in these cases where we are approaching our performance envelope.

Also keep in mind, one will have to arrange more frequent service and changes of fluids for transmission, transfer case, and both front & rear differentials. Domestic standard truck derivatives may have some advantages in this regard: finding mechanics, option to modify gearing, aftermarket parts, etc.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:59 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Montreal , Quebec
Send a message via Skype™ to Rawn77
Hi Astroboy,
My hitch receiver was reinforced by Andrew T.
I feel my setup is very well balanced. Last year I was pulling a much smaller whitebox TT behind my ML. My hitch was adjusted by the dealer who sold me the RV. Driving it home 120 miles was the worst experience. I then had my hitch redone by Andrew T. After that, the feeling was completely different. It felt that I was no longer pulling a trailer as much that my TV was just longer and heavier; but was as "one".
I strongly believe that the vast majority of hitches are not installed correctly, giving that uneasy, 'white knuckle' feeling to their drivers. The common misconception is then that their TV is NOT big enough to handle their RV, where they go up the pickup line from 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 ton; throwing mass at their RV becomes their solution to calm it down.
I know that I'll receive lots of flack and sneers from many of you; but to all you nay sayers; have you ever driven one of Andrew T's setups and felt how secure and stable they feel?

But then again, eh, I'm just a crazy Canuck north of the border. Right?

Happy 4th everyone!!

2017 Classic
4 Flexible 100w Solar Panels
3000w Magnum Hybrid Inverter
1000 Amp Hours Lithium Battery
Honda EU3000
Drain Master Sewer Connection
2017 GMC Denali 2500 Duramax
Hensley
Rawn77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:40 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
I just completed a 3000 mile round trip from Montreal to Virginia, through the Blueridge mountains, down to Atlanta, over to Myrtle Beach SC back up to Montreal with my 2 month old 2010 30' Flying Cloud, most of it in 95 degree heat.
It was as stable as could be. Although the ML sacrifices a few inches of wheelbase to the GL, it sits lower therefore has a lower center of gravity; less teeter tottering. Tried both, bough the ML.
Never had any problems with going up or down hills.
In fact, while on i84 heading west, a dear ran across the highway right in front of me forcing me to jam on the brakes hard wile going 65mph. I missed it by about 20'. Both TV and RV tracked and decelerated smooth and in control!
Wow. This is very impressive as well. I continue to grow in confidence that this path is not only reasonable but most desirable. Having a good performing daily driver to see the countryside where ever we go will make the experience that much more enjoyable for me. I'm used to high performance driving and these type of vehicles bring a lot more fun to the trailer free driving side. They also seem to perform as a TV with aplomb. I'm a happy boy.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawn77 View Post
Hi Astroboy,
My hitch receiver was reinforced by Andrew T.
I feel my setup is very well balanced. Last year I was pulling a much smaller whitebox TT behind my ML. My hitch was adjusted by the dealer who sold me the RV. Driving it home 120 miles was the worst experience. I then had my hitch redone by Andrew T. After that, the feeling was completely different. It felt that I was no longer pulling a trailer as much that my TV was just longer and heavier; but was as "one".
I strongly believe that the vast majority of hitches are not installed correctly, giving that uneasy, 'white knuckle' feeling to their drivers. The common misconception is then that their TV is NOT big enough to handle their RV, where they go up the pickup line from 1/2 to 3/4 to 1 ton; throwing mass at their RV becomes their solution to calm it down.
I know that I'll receive lots of flack and sneers from many of you; but to all you nay sayers; have you ever driven one of Andrew T's setups and felt how secure and stable they feel?

But then again, eh, I'm just a crazy Canuck north of the border. Right?

Happy 4th everyone!!
I think your point about many hitches not being installed right and the other point in another post regarding appropriate loading are critical. When it comes time I will definitely connect with Andrew T and I'll invest in the hitch load measurement device.

Thanks to everyone for your continued posts!!!

Old 06-30-2010, 11:17 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Grey, the Touareg will easily tow what you are asking. I'm in the process on getting my V10 TDI (and my V8) Touareg dialed in for towing my 27FB. A 23' is easy and the Touareg is a great daily driver. I'm in the San Antonio area, if you'd like to see my setup, send me a PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:02 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
I should have mentioned this above as another upcoming "option." VW is going to introduce a redesigned Touareg in a few months. It looks to be a rather nice vehicle - I've sat in one at a car show and felt it was a nice upgrade from the current 'reg. Towing capacity is the same (7700 lbs whether you buy the gas V6, hybrid, or the TDI.

Tom
Old 06-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
There will be no air suspension option in the 2011 Touareg for at least the first year, and you don't want a first run Touareg. Ask me how I know. Use the new release as leverage to get you into a 2010 V6 TDI with air suspension.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:18 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
I just thought I'd say I've been looking more at the Toureg for towing the 23' Flying Cloud and it looks like the most practical buy of this class of TV. Thanks for the help. If anyone has any more input I'm interested.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Grey, the Touareg will easily tow what you are asking. I'm in the process on getting my V10 TDI (and my V8) Touareg dialed in for towing my 27FB. A 23' is easy and the Touareg is a great daily driver. I'm in the San Antonio area, if you'd like to see my setup, send me a PM.
West,

I sent you a PM and would love to see the rig one day. I live around the Blanco and 1604 area and can get out to Boerne easily.