Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Tie-yoda..

I am a huge Toyota fan having owned a couple of Land Cruisers and several cars. However, for towing anything large I think one should look at the details. The new sequoia is an impressive rig, but really should be directed to towing below a 25' AS I think. The engine has great hp and torque, but the rear ring gear and independent suspension could lead to handling issues if the tounge weight got to high

Does the transmission have a temp gauge? I wonder how well it sheds heat down here in the south?

Old 12-22-2008, 07:13 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

Suburban v. Tahoe

I am going to buy a TV to pull a 25' AS. My first question is, as between the Suburban and Tahoe, which is the better TV. I am thinking that the difference in wheelbase may make a difference. What specifications should I look for? engine size, differential ratio? When the dealer lists "tow package", is he including anything other than a hitch? Will I need to install a transmission cooler? trailer brakes? wiring harness? As you can tell I am a rank amateur, but determined to go Airstreaming.

Old 12-22-2008, 07:22 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelr View Post
I am thinking that the difference in wheelbase may make a difference.
Not really... The Tahoe has a shorter wheel base but it also has a shorter rear overhang. The wheelbase to overhang ratio between the Burb and the Tahoe will be the same. It has been explained before that the two vehicles (similarly equipped) will have the same towing prowess when towing the same trailer.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:50 PM   #32

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelr View Post
I am going to buy a TV to pull a 25' AS. My first question is, as between the Suburban and Tahoe, which is the better TV. I am thinking that the difference in wheelbase may make a difference. What specifications should I look for? engine size, differential ratio? When the dealer lists "tow package", is he including anything other than a hitch? Will I need to install a transmission cooler? trailer brakes? wiring harness? As you can tell I am a rank amateur, but determined to go Airstreaming.
Fist off, Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

I pull an '05 25FB with a 2500 Suburban (3/4 ton). I have pulled with this combo for over 40,000 miles, and the Sub really does the job. I also pulled the Airstream with my '04 Tahoe. The Tahoe just didn't feel as competent.

If you are going to get a Sub, I would suggest a 2500. It has all the trailer towing stuff you need out of the box. The 1500 may not be up to the task without add-ons. The 2500 also has the 6 liter; it's not even available on the 1/2 ton.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
i've towed 2 different 31 footers, with:
RAM1500, long wheelbase
Excursion diesel PS
Suburban 2500 8.1L
RAM3500 cummins TD

the 'burb is BY FAR the best tow vehicle, in terms of ride, comfort, handling, noise, ergonomics, performance
Old 12-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mexray View Post
I'm looking now for a Ford Excursion, V10 and tow package...there are all kinds of 'deals' on this type of tow vehicle...Most of us are going to get 9-12 MPG out of our TV's, so why not travel in style! As long as you don't have to use it for your daily driver, it's a great tow vehicle, IMHO.

Ford quit making the Excursion's in 2005, and most of them you find were loaded up with all the goodies. They are built on the 3/4 ton truck chassis, so will handle most any AS you can throw at it.

You can find the Excursions with Diesel's, but I think the V10 gas engine is a better choice...lighter in weight, lower in purchase price, and less expensive to maintain...and fuel costs probably comparable, allowing that diesel fuel is higher than gas.

Nice to see someone tell the truth about gas mileage.This has to be a 1st.
We love our 2000 Ford Excursion with the V-10 to tow our 1989 7500 # Squarestream.It is grate for towing in the mountains here in AZ.We now have 50000 miles on it most towing with an over all average 9.4 MPG towing and 15.8 mile when not towing.The 44 Gal tank is nice BUT it did set me back sometimes when gas was $4.27.9 per gal = $150+ at each fill up.Now that gas is back down I am looking at $65+ to fill up.
NO we did not embrace the greener agenda of the AZ Government hand out to change to propane on new vehicles in 2000 that about broke the State of AZ.
Sorry America BUT I dont think I will be around to see a electric trailer towing vehicle, so wake up and drill,drill,drill in our own back yard.It's time for the U.S.to stop borrowing $$ from China to give to the Arabs.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , Ohio
can't let you get away with that one

"Sorry America BUT I dont think I will be around to see a electric trailer towing vehicle, so wake up and drill,drill,drill in our own back yard.It's time for the U.S.to stop borrowing $$ from China to give to the Arabs."

It would take at least a decade for oil companies to obtain permits, procure equipment, and do the exploration necessary to get the oil out of the ground, most industry analysts say. And even then, they add, the amount of new oil produced would probably be too small to significantly affect world oil prices.

New offshore drilling not a quick fix, analysts say - The Boston Globe
Old 12-24-2008, 07:45 AM   #36
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I fully agree with moosetags and finalcutJoe. The Suburban is the way to go. I have a 3/4 ton burb towing a 25 footer and frankly I would feel comfy even towing a bit larger.

The 3/4 ton has a 9300lb tow rating (4x4). More than most will need. The Tahoe is a great TV too, but it is only avail with 1/2 ton rear ends and hubs. I have to say though, that ouside of the rear differential, the lines between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton (GM) are somewhat blurred.

A few years ago the difference between 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton in GM land was pretty clear cut. If you look at the specs, you'll find more than the 5.3L avail in the 1/2 tonners and similar trannies. Even with the lines blurred, I would still opt of the 3/4 ton for the more stout rear end and hub upgrades.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:37 AM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I'd like to ask a question that will show my lack of knowledge about mechanics.
I know there is a lot of mention about the hubs on the 3/4 ton vehicles, especially GM products. I guess the Fords have fewer combinations so its either 3/4 ton or not. Anyway, what is the significance of the hubs? I can see that more lugs can support more weight than fewer, but other than the brakes and axles...the things behind the hubs, it seems the number of lugs would be the big difference.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:52 AM   #38
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
BTW, if you want a 'Burb, you better hurry. They are down to one factory now.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/12/24/bu..._r=1&th&emc=th
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:07 AM   #39
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I tow a 28' with the Sequoia, No problems. Towed my newer friends 28' no problems too. I have ridden with him when he tows with his 3/4 ton suburban and even he said there isn't to much of a difference. Only thing is he has the one with the 8 liter so it has more power. I think it tows really well.

I have maxed it's tow rating out by having a mini excavator behind it and it still handled great.

plus you can seat 8 with and all the seats go flat. You don't have to take the 3rd row out.. And getting into the 3rd row is a dream.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:53 AM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
I'd like to ask a question that will show my lack of knowledge about mechanics.
I know there is a lot of mention about the hubs on the 3/4 ton vehicles, especially GM products. I guess the Fords have fewer combinations so its either 3/4 ton or not. Anyway, what is the significance of the hubs? I can see that more lugs can support more weight than fewer, but other than the brakes and axles...the things behind the hubs, it seems the number of lugs would be the big difference.
If you look at a 1/2 ton or a car you typically see 4, 5 or 6 lug nuts. A 3/4 ton can have between 8 and 12. The axles themselves are a bit more robust from what I understand, but at the very least, one of the main items you'll see are more lug nuts. One other thing I failed to mention was that in 3/4 ton, you get away (at least in GM) from coil springs and go to leaf and torsion type front end, which the 1/2 tons are usually a quadra coil type setup.

I would always go for a more robust SUV than a truck that is first designed as a comfortable grocery getter, particularly when towing upward of 7000lbs or more. The rear end, is the fourth biggest consideration IMHO, only preceded by engine, trans and frame....all of which the Suburban had, in addition to seating for up to 9 and great cargo abilities was my deciding factor. I've had this truck a bit over 4 years now and it's been darn near flawless. I have been shocked and impressed by both the fit and finish of my 04 Burb and it's vast and versatile abilities. Two years ago, I had the trailer in tow (fully loaded), grill, tools, pinball machine (375lbs alone), three passengers and a full roof rack of bikes and still had lots of room to spare and untapped resources in terms of power and handling. Higher than normal winds, that 130" wheelbase really came in handy...moreso than the 6.0L engine or 4L80e trans.

Never underestimate the value of a longer wheelbase when yanking around a 7k, longer or heavier trailer... every inch does count!
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 05:13 PM   #41
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Navigator or Navigator L comes in at 9000 #'s with a 4X2

WB for Navigator is 119", for Navigator L it is 131". I believe the "L" is for Long WB.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...specs.asp?EV=0

>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 12-24-2008, 05:18 PM   #42
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Wanna get x-treme? While not a SUV the Ford super duty (450) will get to 16,000 #'s for a conventional trailer and 24,500 #'s on a 5th wheel.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/...kchrtApr08.pdf

>>>>>>>>>>Action