Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2017, 05:08 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Mansfield , Ohio
This is great advice! I knew my AS pros would help out!

I appreciate all the suggestions for pickup trucks but I really don't want one of those. The bed would be a waste of space. I'd rather have enclosed space for stuff. I know you can get tonneau (sp?) covers but I'd just prefer an SUV.

I currently drive a 2015 Subaru Outback, which I absolutely love and am sad to part with. Just doesn't have the towing capability. Hopefully some day Subaru will come out with a TV!

I spent 9 hours yesterday visiting dealerships here in the Fort Worth metroplex and talked to a lot of salesmen, some good, some awful. Drove a bunch of 4Runners, a Highlander and a Ford Explorer. The one I liked best and was in my budget was a 2013 4Runner with 45K miles. It is at a Chevy dealer so there's no certified option. What I miss on the 4Runner is the blind spot indicators, rear cross traffic alerts and power liftgate. The Highlander and Explorer were just ok. The Explorer, a 2016 loaded certified model, had all the cool bells and whistles and safety features but I didn't like the seat or the steering wheel, little things but they would drive me crazy in the long run. I did not make it to the Jeep/Dodge dealer.

This is a lot more complicated than I thought. I have a deposit on the trailer and they want me to pick it up by Thursday, 4 days from now. I'm wondering if I should let it go for now and hope to find another one (22 foot Sport, 2017) but it is brand new and I think I'm getting a good deal, don't know for sure as I see others listed for similar prices but there's no way to know what buyers actually paid vs sticker.

Dealers are all closed here in TX on Sundays (today) so I can just window shop on the lots. Gives me some time to slow down and think....
Old 07-09-2017, 05:37 AM   #22
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Rent a pick up truck to get your trailer home.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
You may also want to consider a Nissan Cargo Van. They can be configured with a Class IV hitch receiver, and they have impressive payload numbers. They would be very flexible for carrying "stuff" in the back.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:45 AM   #24
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Does the dealer want just to finalize the deal (= money changes hands) this week or finalize it *and* get the trailer moved off the lot?

Dealers have a lot of reasons to close deals. I understand that part. Some try to move faster than others, that's their choice.

Most dealers, once the deal is finalized seem to be willing to toss in a month or three of "free storage" while you sort things out. They may store it at their remote lot rather than at the shiny showroom. Around here, outdoor storage runs $25 a month. They aren't loosing a lot of money giving you a month or two ... Your situation is what maybe half of all first time buyers face. I suspect they are set up to help you out. Buying the trailer and then the tow is "the way it's done".

I'd check to see if they will let you "store" the trailer there for a month after the deal is closed.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:38 AM   #25
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Attempting to purchase an alternative to your current vehicle in a week is too short a time period. It places a pressure on you that is counter productive to getting the right vehicle at a fair deal.

Agree - the AS dealer should be able to help you with some storage while you work this out.

Not all rental companies have vehicles that they allow to be used to tow. Enterprise Commercial division is reported to provide such trucks. However, going through the rental process is just another complexity that gets in the way of your primary objective which is to find the right Tow Vehicle.

Additionally, building a relationship with your dealer is key to achieving an ongoing solution to maintenance and warranty issue resolution. You might give them some incentive to hold the unit a week or two by having the service department do some work. A fantastic fan hood is a very nice addition that lets you run ventilation when it is raining and is an upgrade that is worth considering.

Good luck with your search. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I agree completely with Pat, not enough time to get a fairly complex combination right. If you can back out of the deal now, do it.

Then start over. You need an Airstream (and the 22' is a great idea), an SUV to handle it well and provide decent daily transportation, and a quality weight distribution/sway control hitch system set up properly to ensure things are within axle limits and the combination drives safely.

Do the research, take internet forum advice with a grain of salt. It's all over the place. There are knowledgeable articles written and available on the internet that explain all three elements, trailer, hitch and tow vehicle. There are very knowledgeable people on this forum that can help you, and a lot of shots in the dark. There are dealerships that can help and dealerships that only care about getting the thing out the door.

Spend some time learning and getting it all sorted out. This will save you a lot of time and money in the long run.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:03 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , Alberta
I tow my 2017 22 Sport with a 2016 Colorado duramax diesel. It should come with the towing package. No worries at all. I tell everyone it's the perfect package. 
Name:   IMG_0002.JPG
Views: 479
Size:  113.5 KB
Dukefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 03:16 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2022 25' Flying Cloud
NCR , Ontario
our audi q5 sport works well

5000 lbs tow
and 500 lbs tongue

never had an issue

BTW we use sway control and weight distribution. i would not pull an AS without both!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pick up AS sport 22 FB trailer.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	329.2 KB
ID:	289067  
waninae39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 07:59 AM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Mansfield , Ohio
update

So in the last 24 hours, there's been some updates. I received an auto email from Airstream Classifieds and there was a 2017 22ft Sport for $7K less than the one I have on hold. It was used for 30 days then exchanged for a 25 ft FC. I was intrigued and made the call. It is in Tampa, FL but they will deliver to me in Fort Worth. All in, I will save about $6K. That's a bunch. The only difference is the local dealer is offering the Lifetime Warranty. I know that this requires me to take it in every year and pay the $350-500 for maintenance. Is this a good deal or not??

I have also decided that I am not going to be pressured into finding the TV, like many of you have counseled. But I am now leaning toward a 2016 or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The reason is that I like the blind spot and cross path detection safety systems, as well as the power liftgate, large sunroof, etc. This vehicle is more my style and fits better into the budget. Tow rating is 7200 lbs.

Looking for input on the Lifetime Warranty and using the Grand Cherokee as the TV.

Thank you!!
Old 07-10-2017, 07:00 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Curious, what life time warranty?

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:04 PM   #31
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
As AW asked/inferred - a lifetime warranty is not a usual option. Certainly an interesting way to keep the rig tuned up. If you are not a DIY capable person, you might be well served, but if it's a local dealer service only that will be problematic. Quite likely failures will occur, if they do occur, when you are at Murphy's house (the most inopportune location and time).

My take on warranties is that they can give you better leverage with the dealer's service department. Most service groups can make money on warranty work. However, that only works if the fix is coming out of another pocket.

Most folks take another position and suggest money in your pocket is best.

As far as the JC, it should be a good tow vehicle. Several folks use them.

Good Luck. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 09:50 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
I think the Jeep Cherokee for a daily driver and TV for your 22' sounds good.

I am not much on warranties, especially one tied to a local dealer. I would buy the Florida Airstream and save 6k.

I would also probably ask for a further discount of the delivery cost and drive my new JC to Florida and pick up the Airstream. Nothing like putting an eyeball on what you are spending your hard earned money on. Time for a ROADTRIP.

Good luck, Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:27 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjski View Post
So in the last 24 hours, there's been some updates. I received an auto email from Airstream Classifieds and there was a 2017 22ft Sport for $7K less than the one I have on hold. It was used for 30 days then exchanged for a 25 ft FC. I was intrigued and made the call. It is in Tampa, FL but they will deliver to me in Fort Worth. All in, I will save about $6K. That's a bunch. The only difference is the local dealer is offering the Lifetime Warranty. I know that this requires me to take it in every year and pay the $350-500 for maintenance. Is this a good deal or not??

I have also decided that I am not going to be pressured into finding the TV, like many of you have counseled. But I am now leaning toward a 2016 or 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. The reason is that I like the blind spot and cross path detection safety systems, as well as the power liftgate, large sunroof, etc. This vehicle is more my style and fits better into the budget. Tow rating is 7200 lbs.

Looking for input on the Lifetime Warranty and using the Grand Cherokee as the TV.

Thank you!!
You'll love the GC especially if you can find a Summit. Try to get the Hemi. I towed our 19' with the six and found it a little light on horsepower for merging and passing. Your 22' is a bit lighter.

Nowadays I wouldn't pick anything that doesn't have cross traffic and blind spot detection, but the blind spot detection will go off anytime the trailer is attached and you can't shut it off on the GC. The GC has some big blind spots til you get used to it. The alarm goes off when you use the turn signal.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 10:02 AM   #34
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

There is nothing wrong with pulling a 22' Sport with a GC. If the only issue is the lane warning and avoidance stuff, there are a number of vehicles out there with those features as options. One thing to check for: Can the lane warning be adjusted for the length of your trailer? Some systems have fairly wide ranges others have some weird limits. If the feature is important to you, it's worth checking.

Bob
Old 07-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
I'm pulling a 22FB with my 2016 JGC, V6, blueox hitch and everything is great. just went over the highest paved road in Canada last weekend and it pulled the trailer easily.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #36
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Highest paved road .... yet another thing to put on the bucket list !! (As if I really needed an excuse to visit Banff yet again ..)

Let's see, highest paved road in Florida is ...

Bob
Old 07-15-2017, 10:50 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Just reading this thread and the interpretation of the OP's needs is a funny case of Goldilocks. What one thinks as just right is too small. Or classically unreliable made out to be reliable enough. Though casting a wide net and closing in is never bad.

sjski, glad you're making progress and finding that deal on the AS.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:15 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
Austin , Texas
Final decision?

We're buying a 22 FB Sport and are also considering a 2017 Jeep GC, either v6 or v8 HEMI.

I'm a cautious driver on the highway as-is. I'm looking to make sure we can tow and stop safely while carrying gear in the Jeep GC and bikes on a roof rack, plus the AS.
jsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 02:29 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
Calgary , -
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimms View Post
We're buying a 22 FB Sport and are also considering a 2017 Jeep GC, either v6 or v8 HEMI.

I'm a cautious driver on the highway as-is. I'm looking to make sure we can tow and stop safely while carrying gear in the Jeep GC and bikes on a roof rack, plus the AS.
I've pulled a couple thousand miles with my V6 now and have no issues whatsoever. Accelerates fine, stops easy and most of my towing has been through the Canadian Rockies. Temps all stay normal, handles well, etc. Mileage has also been good but I don't hammer it too hard, stay right around posted speed limits. I think the JGC and Sport 22 are a great combo.
robinjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
We had a 22' Sport and pulled it with a 10 y/o Silverado with 5.3L. Didn't know the Sport was there. It's a sweet trailer. Hope you enjoy traveling with it. I'm a V-8 kind of guy but the new V-6s shouldn't have any problem as well.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote