Old 03-04-2011, 09:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master
1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia

We tow with a Tundra double cab with a Leer cap for all the stuff. This works quite well for us. I suspect the covered 6.5 foot bed will hold at least twice as much stuff as the back storage area of the Sub. Considering your weight, I would recommend either the Ford or GM 3/4 ton trucks with an extended/super/double cab for back seat comfort for adults/dogs and a covered bed for your other stuff. You could probably either go diesel or or any of the high powered/torque gas motors and the six speed transmission. Our Tundra has lots of power and I like the shifter on the floor for ease of operation. As much as I like my Tundra, you should go with a 3/4 ton as a minimum.

Happy searching.

TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:55 PM   #16
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Wow - as I just posted on another similar thread - see the pic & my signature below...

John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:01 PM   #17

1975 Argosy 24
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Wow - as I just posted on another similar thread - see the pic & my signature below... that was the previous page of THIS thread.
DKB_SATX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 PM   #18
. , .
this part is certainly true.

Originally Posted by Serena Robis View Post
Ok- I am going to throw this out although I suspect it has been asked and answered many times...
simply scan the tow vehicle threads for titles and u will find 100s of threads starting with exactly the same question.

no one else can tell u what to buy or what is best for you...

and the KEY issue mentioned by the op is that 'the wife' doesn't want a truck...

how about a full size van? these have LOTS of inside space?

most of us BELIEVE what we have chosen 4 a towing vehicle IS best of each of us...

you need to do the same thing.

while you WANT details on axles/engines and other vehicle specific issues, that's a LOT of stuff...

and most of this stuff is already posted in other threads that are SPECIFIC to any given vehicle (model/brand/size/year)

there are also threads with POLLS so u can read % of people towing with many common vehicles or sizes.

trailer life does a booklet and issue EVERY YEAR on tow vehicles....

they list virtually every towing vehicle possiblity and all of the important numbers.

it's FREE for the looking on their website.

for example here is 2006.

2006 Guide to Towing

all of the true things that i am about to tell you are shameless lies. l.b.j.

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Wow - as I just posted on another similar thread - see the pic & my signature below...
Yup,..You have the prettiest station wagon here!

"Stay Thirsty My Friends"

Tow Vehicle" 2011 Superduty Diesel!!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master
Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Hey - at least the generator fits in there - btw, the extra clearance came in handy today when I had to bring my vintage 8x10 Ampeg cabinet to a shop for some work and it started raining...
John "JFScheck" Scheck
2014 Itasca Solei 34T in Red Maple
Freightliner XCS Chassis with Cummins 6.7 ISB & Allison MH Transmission
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:12 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member
2004 28' International CCD
Birmingham , Alabama
I have a 2004 International CCD 28' as well. Weigh yours ... it probably weighs 7300-7500 pounds. If so, you'll be fine with a long wheel base TV rated 8500 #s or above. However, a 3/4 ton Suburban would certainly make travel a pleasure! I previously owned a GMC 2500HD Diesel crew cab. I now have a 2009 Yukon. I miss the 2500.

Sent from my iPhone using AIR Forums
UAPachyderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #22
Rivet Master
Commercial Member
2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Serena

If you want to save a whole bunch of money you can likely make some simple changes to the 2007 Yukon and have it tow better than the 2001. They are almost the same vehicle so your difference is in shocks tire size and axle ratio. Which engine axle and tire size do you have on the 07? Is it Yukon or Yukon XL?

Andrew T
Andrew Thomson
London, Ontario

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Regardless of which vehicle you choose (I am in the Ford F-250 at least club), you should lease instead of out-right purchase. Leasing makes sense even if you plan on putting lots of miles on the rig. Say you go with a 2 year lease. At the end of the 2 years, if you like the vehicle, you can buy it for the "residual" value listed on the lease. This is the purchase price no matter what the mileage is at the end of the lease. Another advantage in sales tax states is that you only pay sales tax on the monthly payment. Some smart folks take out a 2nd or LOC and pay the 2 year lease up front and thereby your payment interest is all a tax deduction, plus you get an even better deal on the lease when you pay it all up front. If at the end of the lease you are unhappy with the rig, you just turn it in. Even with some over-miles you are probably better off than if you bought the rig and are now so upside down that you'll never get ahead. I have been leasing since 1993 and have never regreted it.
2008 F-250 4X4 Lariat V-10
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:52 AM   #24
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Whenever you ask "what's the best tow vehicle", and leave the brand open, it becomes nothing more than a poll of brand popularity.

However, I will say that if you ever tow with a Diesel of any brand, it will be very hard for you to go back to any gasser.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:09 PM   #25
2006 22' International CCD
Orlando , Florida
Thanks everyone for your interest - many very kind and informative responses- I think we will go out and test drive a few vehicles and go from there- we thought about the van but probably not our first choice- the truck is cheaper than the suburban but we really like our existing one and it fits in the neighborhood a little better- a little concerned about the noise from the diesel - any additional comments/thoughts always appreciated
Serena Robis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:19 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member
2007 31' Classic
Pulaski , Tennessee
I would recommend a F250 Powerstroke Crew Cab. The diesel does great at towing and gets good mileage. Crew cab is just as comfortable as an SUV. The bed provides a lot of flexibility for carrying just about anything you can dream up. I don't know if you have the electronic over hydraulic disc brakes. If you do, I understand the built in controller that Ford uses will work with the AS brakes, whereas, the ones installed in the Chevy and Dodge don't. I read this about a year ago so you might want to confirm this before purchasing.
au_ee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
dodge , chev , ford ,toyota , what ever gets the job done.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:04 PM   #28
Chief Chili Cook
2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Don't rule out a diesel over noise just yet. The Chevy/GMC is probably the quietest (outside), then the new Ford, then Dodge. But, it's extremely quiet and comfortable inside my new '11 F250. All the new diesels purr real nice going down the road and they all put out the HP/Torq in the lower RPM's.

On a recent trip with by B-I-L, he has a 2010 Silverado and an SOB that's 3000 lbs lighter than my Airstream. We had radios and was comparing gear/RPM's going over a long mountain range. He was in 3rd at 3600 RPM's and I was in 5th at 1800 RPM's. We coasted down the other side and pulled in for fuel, he had gotten 8mpg and I was at 12mpg over the last 140 miles (not all, but several good long hill climbs).

newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote

tow vehicles