Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2008, 02:40 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think the best tow vehicle is the one your happy with...

Just went to the Tetons and back and if you have ever driven Hwy 139 over douglas pass in colorado, straight up form 4,600 to 8,268, and back down and you didn't have white knuckles when your done, you have a great tow vehicle.. My Sequoia was a dream.... Then take Utah Hwy 191 out of Vernal up to I-80 in WY.. If you are still happy with your TV then it's a keeper.. 9 switch backs 8-10% grade over like 10 miles... fun................. UP AND DOWN>>>>

I'm Happy with mine....... pulled like a dream, plenty of power if I want to speed and no brake over heating.. stopped on a dime...(well maybe a bunch on dimes in a line)

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #82
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I think the best tow vehicle is the one your happy with...

Just went to the Tetons and back and if you have ever driven Hwy 139 over douglas pass in colorado, straight up form 4,600 to 8,268, and back down and you didn't have white knuckles when your done, you have a great tow vehicle.. My Sequoia was a dream.... Then take Utah Hwy 191 out of Vernal up to I-80 in WY.. If you are still happy with your TV then it's a keeper.. 9 switch backs 8-10% grade over like 10 miles... fun................. UP AND DOWN>>>>

I'm Happy with mine....... pulled like a dream, plenty of power if I want to speed and no brake over heating.. stopped on a dime...(well maybe a bunch on dimes in a line)
Since my DW shares the driving, I would change only one word...

Whatever we are comfortable with. Comfortable as in safe.

After all, I'm not happy until she's happy.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Wish my wife would drive.. She might not cut the gas station curb short and dent the hub caps on the trailer like I did... She is just not sure about that extra 28 feet...

Maybe I should have her drive it to work for a week it would cure her our make her more adamant about not driving...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-03-2008, 04:01 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I think the best tow vehicle depends on What is being towed. I also beleve that the tow vehicle reflects the person who owns it, (personality)
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:07 PM   #85
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Wife training

Jason,

I would think the stresses of your wife's job must be far more intense than towing a trailer.

My wife has driven sometimes, usually in places where there is little traffic. Her first time was on a lonely 2 lane blacktop in the Mojave Desert. Later she got in several hundreds of miles in the middle of Nevada and some of the Utah desert. A couple of weeks ago she graduated to one mountain pass and a winding narrow road (just south of Carbondale, Colo., over McClure Pass, along the narrow road alongside Paonia Res.). Pretty soon she'll be driving through big cities and backing into FS campgrounds. Just takes time.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:07 PM   #86
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jeff View Post
Hi there! I am looking at a 2005 25' safari with empty weight of 5325 lb. My ford explorer can tow 5600 , so I thought I was set, then after researching the forum, looks like a bad idea if I don't want a white knuckle experience. So, I am considering trading up to something that can handle towing better, and my question is: Any recommendations on a vehicle/truck that can easily handle the towing of the trailer, but somewhat reasonable on gas, as it will also be used as my vehicle for everyday driving. Thanks in advance for your time! I am just starting to research this lifestyle (lots to learn).
With the trailer you are considering, any 1/2 ton or larger tow vehicle can handle it.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 06:38 PM   #87
I approve of this message

2006 28' International CCD
Redmond , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUMSHIP View Post
You can’t beat a diesel for towing. Give it up you gas guys. I pull a 32’ excella and would not use anything else. I did pull a 16’ bambi for a short time and didn’t even know it was back there. The thing with my 07’ 6.7 litter Dodge is that it has 3 break systems. Transmission, exhaust and 4 wheel disc. I hardly ever touch the brake peddle. It’s a ¾ ton, which is important for any type of towing and or hauling. The ½ trucks are good for lighter loads and trips to the store. Towing, I get 15 miles to the gallon at 65 mph. The cost for fuel might be more right now, but I feel the mileage and ease of towing out ways the cost. This is also my daily driver in which I get over 17 mpg.
+1 for focusing on braking! Many folks don't think about this issue until going down the multi-mile 6% grade, with cross winds, rain & big-rig traffic!

I upgraded my '03 Dodge (w/Cummins diesel) to the new version with integrated exhaust brake and now enjoy stress free mountain towing. I can comfortably say that I plan to always include an exhaust brake as a requirement for any tow vehicle that I would own!
ostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:22 PM   #88
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
My 2006 dodger ram 1500 with a 4.7L engine has no problem pulling my 27' Overlander. My ram's maximum towing capacity is 7650 lbs and my 73 Overlander weighs 4600 dry weight. I am very careful to make sure all the holding tanks are empty and limit what I bring with me. I pulled it 900 miles round trip and never went over 55 miles an hour. I braked after I slowed down way before any stops. I never was in a rush and pulled I it like I was pulling glass. Everything went without a problem. I like to go slow and take my time.

Brian
Old 10-25-2008, 09:26 PM   #89
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Yep, If I didn't have a family and didn't want the soft ride of my Sequioa I would maybe pull with a 3/4 ton if I had a newer trailer that weighed a lot, but my 28' only weighs 4300 dry so I'm happy with what i have...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT

Tags
safari