Old 08-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #71
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

'Ya all just couldn't resist could 'ya..

[quote=ROBERT CROSS;601827] I'm a "gas guy", but won't take the bait.

If your happy with what ya got....go camp'n[/quote

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #72
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Toyoty is haveing issues also with production. There product isnt competeing as thought. Nissan is haveing the same. Ya American trucks arent selling like hot cakes either but when you go to city garages you dont see toyotas. I have yet to see one with a plow on it. I know in Iraq they are useing F250s and F350s for private contractors even with gunners turrits on them because of there reliability. If you go to BP refinerey in Prudoe Bay. Super Duty is there also. They will tell you, 15 min broke down and there dead. its that cold. Dont beleve me? Do a web search or go to "you tube" and watch the videos.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:44 PM   #73
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I have owned Ford, Chev, and Dodge. The only vehicle I have not had issues with and gotten rid of is my 01 4 runner... Only ever done preventive maintenance as the owners manual describes. It has 128,000 miles on it... I towed our pop up with it... Thats why we got the Sequoia to tow the airstream. Our friend has an 07 Suburban that has already been in the shop twice... Nothing major, but still, It only has 20,000 miles on it... I just want a vehicle I don't have to worry about... and for me, Which isn't for everyone, its a Toyota..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #74
2 Rivet Member

1979 25' Tradewind
virginia beach , Virginia
I recommend a 3/4 ton truck. Go with the bigger brakes, suspension, drive train for towing. If you are only taking the AS out 4 or less times a year and it doesn't involve driving through the mountains then a 1/2 might do well for you. If you are going to do some serious AStreaming and don't want to detour around mountains because you are worried if your truck can pull through the mountains and stop when needed then consider the 3/4 ton.
I also recommend the diesel motor as you will see in the next three years a concerted effort to produce biodiesel which burns much cleaner than normal "dino" diesel and is way more efficient to produce than ethanol. The benefits of diesel engines are achieving maximum torque at lower rpm's which equates to better pulling power at lower speeds and engine longevity/durability.
You might want to test drive a "gently used" Dodge Cummins with the 5.9L engine or the new 6.7 Cummins motor.
Old 08-17-2008, 01:48 PM   #75
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantz View Post
I recommend a 3/4 ton truck. Go with the bigger brakes, suspension, drive train for towing. If you are only taking the AS out 4 or less times a year and it doesn't involve driving through the mountains then a 1/2 might do well for you. If you are going to do some serious AStreaming and don't want to detour around mountains because you are worried if your truck can pull through the mountains and stop when needed then consider the 3/4 ton.
I also recommend the diesel motor as you will see in the next three years a concerted effort to produce biodiesel which burns much cleaner than normal "dino" diesel and is way more efficient to produce than ethanol. The benefits of diesel engines are achieving maximum torque at lower rpm's which equates to better pulling power at lower speeds and engine longevity/durability.
You might want to test drive a "gently used" Dodge Cummins with the 5.9L engine or the new 6.7 Cummins motor.
I couldnt have said it better myself.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:33 PM   #76
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Tow vehicle debates and revues are just like gun reveiws. No one wants to admit they got a turd, misery loves company
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 10:43 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
We just picked up a gently used 2007 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Mega Cab. It's awesome.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #78
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
A gently used deisel?? I picutre my son " dad can I use your truck for mudbogging your trading it in anyways" That is good I wasnt being smart I just never heard that saying before
Old 09-02-2008, 10:50 PM   #79
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
Good luck with it. I am a cummins fan. I always had them in my semis
Old 09-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #80
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari
Canton , Mississippi
2007 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton (New body style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Jeff View Post
Hi there! I am looking at a 2005 25' safari with empty weight of 5325 lb. My ford explorer can tow 5600 , so I thought I was set, then after researching the forum, looks like a bad idea if I don't want a white knuckle experience. So, I am considering trading up to something that can handle towing better, and my question is: Any recommendations on a vehicle/truck that can easily handle the towing of the trailer, but somewhat reasonable on gas, as it will also be used as my vehicle for everyday driving. Thanks in advance for your time! I am just starting to research this lifestyle (lots to learn).
Just returned from a weekend trip (about 400 miles) towing a 2008 25A Lounge (UBW 5065 lbs). The trailer and TV were moderately loaded with a an average amount of gear for two adults. No water in any tanks. Truck has 5.3 V-8, 3.42 rear end, Z71 and HD Tow Package. Towed on Interstate 55 which is mostly flat but some hills and long grades. Used the tow haul mode the entire trip and cruise control set at about 63 MPH. Averaged 11.5 MPG for the whole trip. Encountered moderate/stiff headwinds and gusts and rain on the way home (side bans from hurricane Gustav). The TV, weight distribution and sway control set up (Curt) worked very well and 25 ft trailer towed very confidently. I am a newbie and this was my second extended trip but I felt in control and confident the whole way. Just the facts.

You should make your decisions based on the way you plan to travel and use your rig. Hope this info helps.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:40 PM   #81
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I think the best tow vehicle is the one your happy with...

Just went to the Tetons and back and if you have ever driven Hwy 139 over douglas pass in colorado, straight up form 4,600 to 8,268, and back down and you didn't have white knuckles when your done, you have a great tow vehicle.. My Sequoia was a dream.... Then take Utah Hwy 191 out of Vernal up to I-80 in WY.. If you are still happy with your TV then it's a keeper.. 9 switch backs 8-10% grade over like 10 miles... fun................. UP AND DOWN>>>>

I'm Happy with mine....... pulled like a dream, plenty of power if I want to speed and no brake over heating.. stopped on a dime...(well maybe a bunch on dimes in a line)

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #82
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Comfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
I think the best tow vehicle is the one your happy with...

Just went to the Tetons and back and if you have ever driven Hwy 139 over douglas pass in colorado, straight up form 4,600 to 8,268, and back down and you didn't have white knuckles when your done, you have a great tow vehicle.. My Sequoia was a dream.... Then take Utah Hwy 191 out of Vernal up to I-80 in WY.. If you are still happy with your TV then it's a keeper.. 9 switch backs 8-10% grade over like 10 miles... fun................. UP AND DOWN>>>>

I'm Happy with mine....... pulled like a dream, plenty of power if I want to speed and no brake over heating.. stopped on a dime...(well maybe a bunch on dimes in a line)
Since my DW shares the driving, I would change only one word...

Whatever we are comfortable with. Comfortable as in safe.

After all, I'm not happy until she's happy.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:00 PM   #83
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Wish my wife would drive.. She might not cut the gas station curb short and dent the hub caps on the trailer like I did... She is just not sure about that extra 28 feet...

Maybe I should have her drive it to work for a week it would cure her our make her more adamant about not driving...

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 PM   #84
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Kent , Ohio
I think the best tow vehicle depends on What is being towed. I also beleve that the tow vehicle reflects the person who owns it, (personality)

Tags
safari