Austin , Texas
Lightbulb I find my 2007 Tahoe Adequte

5.3 L motor, 3.42 axle, 2WD

We averge 12. 4 MPG at 62 MPH towing
Not towing:
13.5 MPG city
20 MPG Hiway

The ride is comfortable

We slow down to 50-55 on long grades depending on road surface. If I was doing it again I would get the Tahoe with the 3.73 axle ratio. This is worth about 20 more HP at my towing speed.

I find this vehicle to be an adequate compromise between towing and everyday driving.

We pull a 2005 FB similar in weight to yours. We do not keep the water tank full when towing and make sure the waste tanks are drained. We get in the slow lane and go a constant speed under the speed limit so we do not have to use the brakes or gas too much. I do not let the transmission go down to 2nd gear when going up a hill , I take it off cruise and use the pedal to hold a constant RPM to keep us at 50-55 mph in 3rd gear.

If looking at a truck the Toyota Tundra with the 5.7 L motor has up to a 10,500 lb tow rating and can be equipped very nicely for towing. EPA Rated gas mileage is very close to the Tahoe.

Old 08-07-2008, 12:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Oh, that would be me....

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper View Post
matter of opinion...
the 4FCU has a member that pulls a 25 FB with a Dodge Durango (5900 lbs tow capacity) and he is a bit of a newbie. He has been all over the place and has not mentioned any problem. He is very conservative in his driving practicse. I'm not. Consequently, I'm more comfortable with a TV that has at least 30% more capacity than the trailer i'm pulling.
Actually, Mike, our 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi has a towing capacity of nearly 8,700 pounds. We lose a little because of the 4-wheel drive option and the high/standard rear axle ratio.

On our most recent 8,000 mile cross-country trip we averaged 14.7 mpg of regular gasoline. Without the trailer, we get a solid 23 mpg at 65 mph. Not too shabby, I'd say.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 01:01 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' International CCD
San Francisco , California
My wife and I have been pulling our 19ft Bambi CCD with a 2008 Highlander (5000 lbs towing capacity) with a Equil-izer hitch set up. It has been fine for short tows in good weather but we decided to "upgrade" to a 2003 Chevy Express 2500 conversion van for longer tows without the limits/fear of the "small" Highlander. The 6.0L V8 seems to have the power and torque to make us feel more secure.

A full report coming as soon as the brake controller is installed. BTW, since it's a 2003 GM vehicle, we're having our hitch guy take a look at the welds, etc to make sure it's ok.

-Josh
Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2008 34' Classic
1960 17' Pacer
London , Ontario
Hi Chet

We have dozens of customers that tow with Ford Explorers and most are towing larger than 25'. I find a properly set up Explorer to be as stable if not more so than several of the full size SUV's. The big advantage it has is independent rear suspension. They need the tires changed to a more optimal size and type for towing but this applies to most 1/2 tons and SUV's.

What year is your Explorer? Is it a V/8 or a V/6 and which axle ratio do you have? If you don't know the ratio there is an axle code on the drivers door post. Also what size tires are on it?

Andrew

"One test is worth a thousand expert opinions."
Tex Johnston, Boeing 707 test pilot
Andrew T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:55 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Some days are better than others

Quote:
Originally Posted by myoung View Post
Actually, Mike, our 2005 Dodge Durango Hemi has a towing capacity of nearly 8,700 pounds. We lose a little because of the 4-wheel drive option and the high/standard rear axle ratio.

On our most recent 8,000 mile cross-country trip we averaged 14.7 mpg of regular gasoline. Without the trailer, we get a solid 23 mpg at 65 mph. Not too shabby, I'd say.
Now Mike, what makes you think I was referring to you? Just kidding. Dang - just shows you how much the specs on cars direct can be wrong... they list the max trailer weight as 5900lbs for a Durango with a Hemi, the Dodge site lists 8950. We get 10mpg... but it is hard to keep it under 70.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #20
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Rivet love my 3/4 ton diesel truck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfowler View Post
The right foot is a BIG part of the equation. If I mind my manners and keep the speed at 55, I get 15mpg or better (best so far has been 16.3 over long distances) with the '99 Burb towing the 72 Argosy 20. If I speed up to 65 or 70, the gas mileage goes right down the crapper - 10 to 12mpg. Push it past 70? Not gonna happen.

I've adopted the "reasonable speed + less braking = better fuel economy" mindset. Everytime you have to apply the brakes, you're converting speed which you paid for with fuel to heat energy that you can't recover. It's just like flying, it's a matter of energy management.
Like Bob, I've also adopted the "reasonable speed + less braking = better fuel economy" mindset. Family and friends of this former leadfoot are shocked

My '08 Chevy HD crew cab w/Duramax engine and Allison tranny and tow pkge is a terrific truck, I am very pleased with it. I also liked the F250, a LOT, though to me it had a stiffer ride. Boiled down to better $ deal for the Chevy, for me, as well as the comfier, quieter ride (and being leary of buying a 1st year in a new engine truck).

The truck has just under 5k miles on it, much of it spent towing. I have not run the numbers myself, but using the truck's MPG gauge (dummy gauge?), I am currently averaging 14.6 mpg towing and 20.2 mpg not towing. My mpg has been steadily increasing as the truck is breaking in. After slowing from 70 - 75 mph to a steady 55, I was only getting 10 - 11 mpg towing and around 15 not towing. Diesel price shot up right after our purchase so we were very concerned, but tried to trust that our mpg would improve over time. Not sure how much better I can expect, but we are pleased so far.

On my trip to NJ and PA this past week, I towed for 2 hours at 70 mph with a reset MPG meter. Mileage dropped to 11.2 mpg! Significant, and enough to keep me in the slow lane

I was told by many that if I stuck to mostly eastern US driving and had a good WD hitch, that a 1/2 ton truck would be adequate for my '08 25' AS, but that if I ever wanted to go longer AS (I do!), tow in western mountains (plan on it!), or am new to towing (I am), that I might find I am more comfortable towing with a 3/4 ton. Haven't towed with anything but this truck, but like it a LOT I notice a little more engine noise when in tow mode, but other than that I truly can forget I am towing - it is effortless!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
I tow my ambassador with an 08 sequoia, We chose this over the suburban because it will tow more than the 1//2 surb.. And are friends have a 3/4. It sucks on gas and is a hard ride. Plus we use it as an everyday driver with the kids and use the third row sometimes. A truck just wouldn't work for us. Plus I like the reliability of the toy. We have owned chevs and had a lot of problems.. Have a 4 runner with 130,000 miles and never a problem...

Although I must say our neighbor has a blazer with over 400,000 miles on it.. But he has had 2 transmission and just about everything else replaced except the motor...

Anyway I have no problem towing my 4200 lb trailer, even in the mountains of colorado...

So figure out what you want, find the vehicles that fulfill the needs, Put them in a jar, and pick out your new TV...
Old 08-07-2008, 09:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
East vs West...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin' Cat View Post
I was told by many that if I stuck to mostly eastern US driving and had a good WD hitch, that a 1/2 ton truck would be adequate for my '08 25' AS, but that if I ever wanted to go longer AS (I do!), tow in western mountains (plan on it!), or am new to towing (I am), that I might find I am more comfortable towing with a 3/4 ton.
From my experience over the past two summers and 17,000+ miles coast-to-coast twice, I would say that the strain of hill climbing in the East is much, much worse than the strain of mountain climbing in the West. It's simply a matter of the grade of the road and it seems that, more often than not, the grades in the East are much greater than the grades in the West even though the hills are puny in height in comparison to the Sierras, the Rockies, and the other Western mountains. Those 800 and 900 foot elevations along I-40 in Maryland and West Virginia, for example, or the hills of upstate New York and western Massachusetts are much more difficult to climb with a trailer in tow than mountains in California, Wyoming, Utah, Colorado, or elsewhere in the West where we have driven.

What do others think about the comparison?

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-07-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper View Post
We get 10mpg... but it is hard to keep it under 70.
Slow down, Mike, and enjoy the journey. I guess that's the difference between being on extended vacation (us) and not (you).

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I grew up in Montana, went to university and grad school in Spokane. In 1996 (during the blizzard), I pulled a trailer to Maryland and have lived here since. I have driven Montana, northern Idaho and eastern Washington with a wide range of vehicles and loads. My experience in the Mid Atlantic has involved fewer vehicles, but my wife loves "road trips" so there aren't many places in Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland or Pennsylvania we have not seen. We just finished a road trip to Chicago and back. We took a "northern route" out (Ohio) and a southern route back (Kentucky/West Virginia).

Personally, I think a person can get in trouble in Appalachians or the Rockies. There are hills I don't like near my hometown (Elk Hill between Libby, MT, and Kalispell, MT, where the old road had so many white crosses it looked like a "borrow pit" cemetery; the long hill dropping into Bonners Ferry, ID, from the east.) Driving the length of West Virginia on two-lane roads, we also found some drops and climbs (2+ miles at 9+ percent grades). For some reason, the roads in the east (particularly WV) don't seem as well marked or designed. There were a few roads where I thought, "Hey, a road sign to gear down would have been nice." In the west, the roads don't seem quite as tortuous... save the unpaved "goat trails" and places like Going to the Sun highway.

The major roads in the west over the passes are generally designed to accomodate a range of vehicles. There are some very long pulls which can be hard if you are pulling too much weight, it's too hot and your cooling system is not up to snuff. There are also some very long drops where many a brake has been devoured. The stuff in the east feels "sneakier." I would worry less about the hard uphill pulls, but I would not scrimp on brakes or suspension... in other words, make sure you have enough vehicle because there is always a surprise around the corner.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:21 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
You want to take a long while going downhill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
The major roads in the west over the passes are generally designed to accomodate a range of vehicles. There are some very long pulls which can be hard if you are pulling too much weight, it's too hot and your cooling system is not up to snuff. There are also some very long drops where many a brake has been devoured. The stuff in the east feels "sneakier." I would worry less about the hard uphill pulls, but I would not scrimp on brakes or suspension... in other words, make sure you have enough vehicle because there is always a surprise around the corner.
I agree with these comments. Who cares whether it takes a long while going uphill as long as the tow vehicle can handle the task without overheating. And, I'd rather take a long while going downhill rather than getting to the bottom too quickly...if you get my drift (pun intended).

BMW X3 xDrive 28D
Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 PM   #26
FFWilliston

2006 30' Classic
Myrtle Beach , South Carolina
Best Tow Vehicle

If you want to combine superior towing capabilities with excellent passenger seating/comfort/room, you may want to consider a Nissan Armada. I have towed a 26-ft Four Winns boat and a 30-ft Airstream to TX and back from SC (at different times, of course) with absolutely no problems with either tow. My wife likes it for around-town driving due to its great visibility and, again, comfort. Unless you absolutely require a pickup, look at the Armada. Sincerely, Fred
Old 08-07-2008, 03:01 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
I towed my 28' 'o6 Safari with a Chevy Avalanche for a couple of years - the 28'er was only about 500 lbs more than the 25' and the Avalanche was rated to tow 7200. Figure on adding 800-1000 pounds of "stuff" when you include everything from propane to flip flops and you're looking at a 6500 lb trailer. My Avi got the job done but I live in flat as a pancake Florida. I would not have been comfortable taking it into the NC mountains (we go to Boone often but rent a cabin.) I recently upgraded to an '08 Chevy Duramax 3/4 ton and the difference is remarkable. I think I could pull the AS up Mt. Everest if I wanted to.

With the 25'er you don't need a 3/4 ton diesel truck, especially with diesel at over $4 a gallon. I do think a 1/2 ton truck or SUV rated to tow at least 6500 to 7200 would be a worthwhile investment though.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 03:29 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We now have an '01 25' and pull it with an '07 GMC 1/2 ton with towing package, 5.3 L engine, 3.73 axle ratio, tow rated for 7800 lbs., and we have no troubles.

Tags
safari