Old 01-23-2008, 03:29 PM   #15
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Trailers don't just start fishtailing on their own. It is the trailer/TV combination that cost it.
IMHO it was the Excursion, or its soft suspension that cost the fishtailing.
Defectively assembled or designed trailers can go unexpectedly and violently erratic. So can trailers that are improperly maintained or damaged.

Without getting into an argument about what caused the fishtailing (the same trailer did the same thing to another TV with devastating results to its occupants), I think most reasonable folks would agree with the axiom "always buy a little more TV than you think you'll need." For me, who aspires to pull a 30 footer someday, that TV is an Excursion. Anything less is too risky, for me anyway.

Drive safe!

Old 01-23-2008, 03:38 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
(the same trailer did the same thing to another TV with devastating results to its occupants), !
You are not saying what was the TV?
It is common myth, that it is the weight what makes you safe. It might apply braking-wise but has nothing to do with handling. Make an easy test. Approach your behemoth from the rear and try to push it with leg sideways on the hitch, or ball. Than try to do the same on European or Japanese SUV. See which one move more?
Why trailers towed in Europe by sedans don't have fishtailing problems?

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Groveport , Ohio
Well I hope I,m not doing a hijack here, I used my brothers 07 express van as a TV this past summer since my speration and I must say what a nice TV it is. I now am takeing ownership of his 99 1500 4WD suburban and bought a set of elderbrock IAS shocks today for it but I,m really worried about the 3.42 gear. I cant afford new gears and the suburban is a blessing from him. Do you think it will tax this truck to much with my 71 safari. Robert
Old 01-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #18
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Smile

All I'm saying is... when the !!!! comes down, you'll be safer (the "er" part is relevant here) in a 7k lb brick than in a 1/2 ton SUV or PU or whatever.

That's all. Mass doesn't make you safe. But it don't hurt when the !!! comes down.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRadio
. Mass doesn't make you safe. But it don't hurt when the !!! comes down.

Disagree. I would rather be squashed by 2-tons vehicle, than by 4-tons.
You know that most of Ford SUV have only 3 out of 5 roll-over resistance, while Ford truck traditionally are rated as most danger vehicles on the planet?
Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
I'm curious as to why MOST mentioned vehicles are the traditional "American" vehicles. I pull my 25' International with a 2004 Nissan Armada, their BIG SUV. It has a trailer hauling package built in, a "tow" button to activate towing so the trans. knows to float over some gears instead of hitting everyone every time. It has a long wheelbase, 5.6L (or thereabouts) engine generating over 300 hourspower and 18" tires that sits us all up high enough to see over most traffic. It can pull more than 9,000 lbs. We love it!! Again, after putting 27 gallons of gas through out boat every hour we were on plane, gasoline is not an issue with pulling the AS. AS makes so many different models because we all want something different - the same is true with TVs. If one were better than all the others, that one would be made for everyone but I don't see that happening. Good luck and we'll see you down the road......
Prodigy Brake Controls
"It's better to keep your mouth shut and thought a fool,
Than to open it and remove all doubt."
Old 01-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
The "American truck" is the same issue what 'Harley motorcycle" is.
Shows how advertisements can overpower common sense.
The same best selling in the World Ford 1500 pickup is one of the most deadly vehicles in the World.
Took about 20 years for Americans to realize that "Oil change 3000" is just sale pitch.
I think I owe some explanation here. I am Polish-American and have been driving on roads in tens of countries in hundreds of vehicles, what with my natural gift for observation makes me comparing things like that.
Not that they are hard to see.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM   #22
Little Radio

1966 28' Ambassador
Chicago , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajtek1
Disagree. I would rather be squashed by 2-tons vehicle, than by 4-tons.
You know that most of Ford SUV have only 3 out of 5 roll-over resistance, while Ford truck traditionally are rated as most danger vehicles on the planet?
What can I say?? Except...

If I had been driving a smaller SUV, or PU (even the HD kind), that 30' Classic would've kicked out my TV's rear end like a postman kicking aside a nuisance dog. And we would've gotten broadsided by the trailer itself. And we would've rolled. And I wouldn't be having this discussion.

That Excursion saved our lives because it refused (because of its mass and weight over its rear axle) to be bullyied around by that fishtailing Airstream.

If you want to drive something smaller, welcome to America. We have that freedom here. But the original poster asked for advice, and that's what I gave him.

Safe loading, proper hitch set-ups and equipment in good-working order are the first priorities for safe towing, to be sure. But to re-write a movie line from one of Lawrence Kasden's films... "there are 100 things you can do to help increase the chance that you'll have an accident when you tow an RV. If you can think of 50 of them, you're a genius."

You can't know what will happen. You can only be prepared. That's why I believe it's better to tow with the largest SUV you can afford.

Be safe!!
Old 01-24-2008, 01:42 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Orinda , California
You might be right, that in bad situation the heavy TV saved you thanks to the braking power.
My point is, that the fishtailing might never happen if you had short overhang/stiff suspension TV build mostly by German, or Japanese.
In another words the Excursion saved you in the last moment, after trying to kill you at first.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi aschwager

many of the mid sized suvs would tow a 23 easily.

IF that were to be the largest a/s ever considered, these would be my choices, in random order...

bmw x5...
porsche cayenne...
vw t-rex (especially the diesel)...
audi q7...
mercedes/dodge sprinter van (not an suv, but fully enclosed)...
mercedes GL 500...
dodge dakota...
lincoln navigator...
chrysler aspen (the new one)...
nissan armada or infinity version...
toyota/lexus land cruiser or sequoia...

the porsche, t rex, bmw and merc' can be equipped with LOTS of hp/torque and massive brakes.

but the others all have adequate power/capacity for a 23.

2air'
Would these work well on an older, longer but lighter trailer? Specifically a '72 Tradewind?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:27 PM   #25
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120
Would these work well on an older, longer but lighter trailer? Specifically a '72 Tradewind?
yes i think all of these would work nicely with a 70s 25ft tradewind.

since the o.p. has a new unit my limit reference was for new units (maybe the safari sports fit too)

of course some of these suvs are pricey as new...

the aspen might be the best overall bang for the price (it now has an on board anti-sway package)

it's hard to beat the interior style of the some of these, the audi in particular is a benchmark...

the cayenne turbo is a sinfully quick and very balanced driver, the x5 is very close to it....

dpeakmd tows a late 70s excella with an x5/haha package and likes it....

i'm a euro fan but the lincoln has a very classy/light/modern interior, that is 'volvo like'...

the sprinter van would have the most utility space, but it is only available as rwd and it's noisy inside

many of the others have wonderful awd systems...

and i'd want disc brakes on the tw that could match the quick, massive stopping power of the euro suvs...

also on the plus side, several listed have pretty sophisticated rear suspensions,

which might be easier on the tw than a vintage suv or truck...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 02:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
That's interesting 2air, thank you. I'm partial to European automobiles. I drive a Volvo 850 wagon and have been trying to figure out if a big American truck or SUV is really necessary. I'd rather have one vehicle to serve my daily driving and TV needs, so if any of the ones you mention are viable options for my Tradewind, I would certainly be keen on exploring them. If only I could tow it with my 850!
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #27
_

. , .
Quote:
...I drive a Volvo 850 wagon and have been trying to figure out if a big American truck or SUV is really necessary...:
ya know, those crazy swedes do a lot of towing with saabs and volvos!

with a 70s trade wind there are LOTS of options...

and clearly a big truck or big suv aren't needed.

how much you travel and how much stuff you carry are issues....

so if you like to take a harley or fishing boat or a cord of firewood along...

a big truck is useful.

living in the pacific north wet ...

i came to rely on full time all wheel drive, year 'round, 4 me that was spelled audi.

awesome in the wet, mountain, down hill and at urban assault tasks...

not the clunky 4x4 systems on big trucks which is really meant 4 getting unstuck (or stuck worse)

if used as a daily driver (along with towing) mpg is an issue...

so u might look at the list from a fuel economy ranking too...

again the aspen and durango (not dakota, my error) have better figures than most of the euro suvs listed...

the vw t-rex with diesel has pretty good mpg and 2-4 year old models are depreciated from new retail...

i think there are smaller more fuel thrifty vehicles that could tow your tradewind...

but they wouldn't be high on my list...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
I'm partial to European automobiles. I drive a Volvo 850 wagon and have been trying to figure out if a big American truck or SUV is really necessary.
Many of us Airstream owners have figured out that one does not need a big American truck or SUV to tow one safely!

Quote:
I'd rather have one vehicle to serve my daily driving and TV needs.
Makes a lot of sence for many and some folks have found the formula to do just that.

Quote:
If only I could tow it with my 850!
Volvos are being used all over the world as TV's and some are towing Airstreams.