Old 06-02-2010, 07:03 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Road Ruler,
Awesome wedding day shot! Thanks for sharing. We'll have a great time no doubt.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I had a 2001 DODGE Ram 1/2T Quadcab/shortbed prior to current truck. Recommended. 5.9L (360) over 5.2L (318) as gas mileage is same, but edge on power to former. Fuel mileage might not be as good as competition, but better drivetrain as to durability. Single "issue" was well-known intake manifold gasket leak (factory & aftermarket kits). Stay with upscale interior (power & leather) as it made a great ride. As I recall, the truck weighed 5,218 with 200-lb driver and full fuel (otherwise empty) the day I bought it.

Cars for Sale: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck 2WD Quad Cab in San Antonio, TX 78251: Truck Details - 280396172 - AutoTrader.com

Search posts and pose questions of "fasstdak" on dodgetrucks.org. He is a Dodge tech AND lives local to you.

Set up the hitch rigging on these pages, though.

Rednax, great find! That truck looks sweet. I'll head over to the dodge forum and find fasstdak if we go Dodge.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Iíve used Ford trucks for nearly 40 years and they have never let me down. My GT spent most of its time behind an E-150 conversion van.
IMHO an F-150 with a 3.73 rear will be a good all round truck for you. Add a cap with a ladder rack for work and all your bases are covered.
The 'Trotter is a great little trailer. You and the new bride will love it.

Good luck. See you on the road,
Tom
Thanks Tom, appreciate the feedback. The 3.73 rear seems the best gearing ratio doesn't it? I know there are charts that describe which models have which rear end gearing but is there an easy way to tell when I am actually examining the vehicle in person? Is that info stamped or printed anywhere on the truck?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Forgot to mention: upgrade headlights to SPORT configuration. Daniel Stern on his website; drive them off battery with relays (kits). Prices on used Dodge reflect buyers, not value. Sorta like believing TOYOTA is better than anyone, etc.

On any of these brands the A/C will need to be replaced (in Texas; South). See Arizona Air website for techs/civilians discussing repairs and parts and issues.

3.73 gears not necessary. 3.55 is fine. 3.31 is also workable. Spend the bucks on tires/brakes/shocks to have best. I believe live-axle TV's benefit from rear anti-roll bars (Helwig and oem); poly bushings front/rear. OEM tire size is usually best compromise on power/economy.

The 727 transmission (518) and LA-series engines are about bulletproof.

2Air makes good comments about buyer reluctance on "aero" Ford trucks of '96 and later, also.

Good luck. And, you were smart to ask about TV ahead of buying one. Source a used REESE "Dual Cam" while you are at it. Maybe Camper Clinic south of town has some old ones laying around . . . . ? Post wanted ads at RV parks (Pecan Grove, etc).

Since you mention capital and operating expense as important, see ECO MODDER for cheap ideas on techniques in driving and read AERODYNAMIC sub-forum on things other PU owners are trying.

Look forward to pics.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 08:07 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
We pull a 72 Argosy 20 (essentially the same rig as your GT) with a 1999 K1500 Suburban. The Burb has a 5.7L engine and 3.73 gears and (knock wood) it's never had ANY problems towing the Argosy. Our hitch system is a simple 600lb round bar W/D setup. We haven't had any problems with sway (no sway controller), even with big trucks blasting by us on the highway. The 4WD on the Burb has come in handy a couple of times on soft sandy soil while boondocking in southern New Jersey.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 07:54 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
Austin , Texas
Hey all,
I wanted to give a quick update on the truck search. Started a few days ago with a look at an old '93 F150 Ex-West Texas ranch truck. Big, boxy and powerful but after a quick drive I realized the work necessary to get this truck ready for a cross country trip was not for me.
The next two I looked at were huge Chevy 2500's - one used primarily as a towing vehicle for a landscape business- it was trashed inside and out, and the other as a plumber/tattoo artist work truck-ditto. Pictures on craigslist do not always tell the whole truth, and after a few hour-long drives that ended in disappointment and frustration, I was ready to take a few days off...until my lovely spouse-to-be showed me one more listing.
Beautiful truck...90 miles away.
Sigh,
Back in car for another drive in the rain.
Drove the 90 miles with my ever-patient partner, few in love with the truck after a thorough inspection and test drive, negotiated a price, went to the bank, pulled $5200.00, drove the new truck home.

We now own a 2001 F-150 supercab with a V-8 5.4 Triton and a towing package. High miles (167K) but clean inside and out, owned by a meticulous ex-fireman who took loving care of it. It has more than enough power and torque yet feels like driving a suv, not a school bus. Couldn't be happier.

Now I need to figure out how to set up a brake controller and we'll be set.
Thanks again for all the advice- I'll post pics of the trip once we are on the road!
Cheers
Steve in Austin.
Old 06-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #21
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
That sounds like a good choice and condition. And price!!
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 09:33 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Steve,

You will like that truck. My wife's truck is the same year, motor, but the super crew style and I almost like driving it as much as my truck. Plenty of power. Good choice. Those darn Fords can last forever if kept up well.
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:55 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
......is there an easy way to tell when I am actually examining the vehicle in person? Is that info stamped or printed anywhere on the truck?
Sorry for the belated post. On the road last weekend.
There should be a sticker on the rear edge of the drivers door with lots of info you can use.
At the bottom there will be a line with things like wheelbase, paint, interior color code ect. and AXLE. Under that, there will be a 2 digit code. Here's a good list of the rear end ratios. Axle codes - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums
There also may still be a metal tag on the diff. They use to be stamped with the ratio, but I think now it's just a code that's retrievable by the parts department.

Good luck with your new TV,
Tom

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote