Old 07-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #1
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Bed liners

I was in the shop last week checking out a bed liner for the new truck. The gentleman there mentioned some type of pad to place under the liner. I didn't pay much attention to that as it was closing time and he was in a rush, etc.
What pad was he talking about?
What is its purpose?
Cost?
Is this something new? I didn't have this under my last bed liner...

Also, just got a quote for Rhino-$450
Line-X $520

Any thought on a drop in versus a spray on?

What abput Line-X versus Rhino?

Thanx, Bill

Old 07-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
I have never seen a drop in liner I liked. I have had spray ins in my last 3 trucks. I always get Inyati brand.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 02:27 PM   #3
Craftsman

Line-X the best by far. Read some reviews. Recently had it sprayed in the bed of my 06 350 PSD. Drop in's get water under them, the movement over time rubs the paint off and the bed rusts. They removed my tail gate the large bed bolts then they spray the liner and reinstall the hardware.Looks good and should last as long as the truck.
Old 07-17-2006, 02:28 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1976 25' Caravanner
Vintage Kin Owner
Campton , New Hampshire
Living in NE and near the ocean go with the spray in liner . The drop in's will let moisture and salt stay between the liner and bed and cause it to rust . Both Rhino and Line-X are good national brands and back up their products . Line-X has a finer texture that some prefer , both seem to perform equally as well . The application is critical to the quallity of the end product . The choice of which to go with may depend more on the reputation of the dealers near you. Good luck
Old 07-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex

Also, just got a quote for Rhino-$450
Line-X $520

Any thought on a drop in versus a spray on?

What abput Line-X versus Rhino?

Thanx, Bill
Hi Bill,
I have a Line-X spray in bedliner and really like the finish. Your price quote seems high. If memory serves I think I paid $375 or $400 I'll need to check receipts that was 11 months ago. Shop around Line-X is a franchise so i found shop prices vary. My truck is a F250 short bed. Second, I also have a http://www.rolltopcover.com/ made be Retrax.. Love this tonneau cover it is made of Lexan (same material as helmets) It will keep about 98% of the water out in down pour.. very happy with the Retrax and Line-X combo.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 04:23 PM   #6
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
guess i'm old fashioned, just went to the farm store and bought a rubber mat bed liner. it was 50 bucks.

i like it because it is easy to pull out and wash the bed out. i just couldn't bring myself to letting some kid take a grinder to the bed of my truck to install a spray in liner!

john
Old 07-17-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
Gretna , Nebraska
Let me nominate the BedRug (www.bedrug.com). I just put one in my new truck. So far I like it a lot. Will get a topper installed this week.

The soft surface will be good for crawling after stuff, or for overnight camping in the truck, away from the AS.

It doesn't hold water and is fine for hauling gravel, rock etc. I threw in an old carpet and hauled away my concrete patio (16 tons!) last week. A little vacuuming and it is fine. $379.

In my S-10 I have a drop-in, but it has a foam pad under it which prevents the wearing of the paint. If I were just hauling stuff, I would get another drop-in, with the pad. Second choice would be the mat.

Dwight
2006 GMC 2500HD
2005 Classic 31'
Old 07-17-2006, 09:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I've done what Craftsman and johnhd have done. I had the bed of my '01 2500hd sprayed with Line-X and then put a rubber bed mat over that about a week later. I have no dents, gouges, etc. You should see the bed of my son's '90 Chevy 4X4 Sport; the truck had a bedliner in it when he bought it several years ago and the shifting back and forth has scraped the paint to the point that rust has started. You get what you pay for.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I've done what Craftsman and johnhd have done. I had the bed of my '01 2500hd sprayed with Line-X and then put a rubber bed mat over that about a week later. I have no dents, gouges, etc. You should see the bed of my son's '90 Chevy 4X4 Sport; the truck had a bedliner in it when he bought it several years ago and the shifting back and forth has scraped the paint to the point that rust has started. You get what you pay for.
Rust on a 16 yr old truck? Not bad...

I was very tempted to get a spray in. Last night I pulled up the drop in on my old truck, 97 GMC,first time I have looked since new, no rust. Then I pulled up my Dads, 1993, same thing-no rust. Yes the paint is abraded-so what? It's underneath the liner!
I am not so sure the extra expense is worth it now, you can get a drop in for $180. And with a drop in you don't worry about denting the bed when you throw things around, can't say that about a spray in.
I talked to another shop yesterday, he sells both; spray on and drop in. He was very candid and said he preffered the drop in-could not justify the extra $. He also said he cringes having to grind up the bed on a $50 k truck!

So now I am unsure what to do...

Bill
Old 07-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #10
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Spray in. Drop in will trap moisture. once the paint wear away rust will start quickly. One day you will remove the drop in and find nothing left. A little exagerated but you get the point.

Line-X a little harder once dried and slippery. Hardness will transmit and hit more directly to the metal. Rhino, a little softer and less slipery when dried. Less impact transfered to metal when struct.
I have a rhino in my truck.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:13 AM   #11
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Spray in. Drop in will trap moisture. once the paint wear away rust will start quickly. One day you will remove the drop in and find nothing left. A little exagerated but you get the point.

Line-X a little harder once dried and slippery. Hardness will transmit and hit more directly to the metal. Rhino, a little softer and less slipery when dried. Less impact transfered to metal when struct.
I have a rhino in my truck.
Yeah, but my question is; does anyone really "remove" the liner?
Why?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 PM   #12
1996 34' Classic

1996 34' Excella
Locust Grove , Virginia
Line-X

Recently bought a new left over 2005 F-150 5.4L SuperCab (6.5 ft bed). Had LIne-X sprayed in and have been hauling stuff all the time. can endorse the product whole heartedly. Stuff doesn't slide and coating appears to be very thick. I paid about $100 less than your quote with a coupon.

I suspect Rhino is very similar.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
1969 18' Caravel
Lovettsville , Virginia
Bed prep is key...

For a truly showroom result bed preparation is paramount, so the aptitude of the person doing the application is critical.

The Rhino process is sprayed cold and takes a couple of days to fully harden. I've seen a few truck beds with the Rhino and the texture to me resembles cottage cheese . In my opinion it is a somewhat softer material than the Line-X.

The Line-X process is sprayed hot and begins to harden within a few seconds (will cure fully within a day or so). Line-X is able to achieve a sharp knife edge line by using a type of masking tape with a wire inbedded in the edge that makes for a straight, definite edge that doesn't bleed over when the truck is unmasked. The Line-X texture is fairly uniform (although grainy) and is not friendly to your knees .

I chose the Line-X, but I would have considered the Rhino as well if that dealer had shown any interest in me as a customer.

Bob
Old 07-26-2006, 07:06 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
Rust on a 16 yr old truck? Not bad...

I was very tempted to get a spray in. Last night I pulled up the drop in on my old truck, 97 GMC,first time I have looked since new, no rust. Then I pulled up my Dads, 1993, same thing-no rust. Yes the paint is abraded-so what? It's underneath the liner!Bill
I'm talking virtually no paint left, down to the primer in much of the area and rust in areas. Sure, you could hit the rust with a wire brush, prime, paint and start over again but why? Resale value when the next person looks underneath the bedliner.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote