Old 07-31-2007, 02:59 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I have line X and I like it ! No worries about the truck bed what so ever.

Life is a journey, not a destination
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 07:58 AM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Arlington , Virginia
I have a Rhino Lining in my F250. Based on the responses I've seen, its a spray-in and you probably won't go wrong with either Rhino or Line-X. Just check them both out so you can see up close if there is something you like from one more than the other. Finally, don't believe either sales rep when they start "bad-mouthing" the other guy's product (cause obviously they want to sell you theirs!).

Old 08-01-2007, 02:00 PM   #31
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
I think the answer is; depends on how you use your truck. The spray ins are nice, but don’t protect from impact. I haul firewood, gravel, etc and I tend to throw stuff around. I don’t really want to have to place 7 cords of wood gently into the bed, 1 log at a time…and when I shovel out 1 ½ yards of gravel or mulch, I want the shovel to slide. So for me, the drop in is the way to go. FWIW, I just sold a 10 yr old GMC truck, had the bed liner in from day one. I pulled it up to look under it before I sold it, there was absolutely no evidence of rust. Convinced me to put another drop in liner in the new truck.

Bill
Old 08-01-2007, 03:09 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex
I think the answer is; depends on how you use your truck. The spray ins are nice, but don’t protect from impact. I haul firewood, gravel, etc and I tend to throw stuff around. I don’t really want to have to place 7 cords of wood gently into the bed, 1 log at a time…and when I shovel out 1 ½ yards of gravel or mulch, I want the shovel to slide. So for me, the drop in is the way to go. FWIW, I just sold a 10 yr old GMC truck, had the bed liner in from day one. I pulled it up to look under it before I sold it, there was absolutely no evidence of rust. Convinced me to put another drop in liner in the new truck.

Bill
Sounds like Bill needs a slide-in liner on top of a spray-in.
Dave
Old 08-01-2007, 03:33 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
New Holland , Ohio
I had Rhino Liner put in our truck and will never do anything else. It protects against scrapes, gas and oil spills, etc., and keeps stuff from sliding around.

The one thing I didn't care for about it was that you can't put something on the back of the bed and slide it toward the cab (pro is that it keeps stuff from sliding around!).

I cannot tell you how many insert liners I have seen damaged on the side of the road from when they flew out of the truck, and how many I see flapping like big soon-to-be roadkill bats as their owners blithely drive down the highway. And I was very surprised to see the post that said the liner owner took theirs out and there was not a speck of rust on the bed. I have never seen a truck bed that was not highly damaged after having an insert liner in it for a while.

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 PM   #34
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
The spray on stuff IMHO is simply the best. Me pops has had it for 7 years and it's just as good as the day it was applied to the bed. Water and such don't get under it and it doesn't scratch, or at least his hasn't yet, even after moving and dragging lots of cargo across it.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 07:21 AM   #35
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
I had Rhino Liner put in our truck and will never do anything else. It protects against scrapes, gas and oil spills, etc., and keeps stuff from sliding around.

The one thing I didn't care for about it was that you can't put something on the back of the bed and slide it toward the cab (pro is that it keeps stuff from sliding around!).

I cannot tell you how many insert liners I have seen damaged on the side of the road from when they flew out of the truck, and how many I see flapping like big soon-to-be roadkill bats as their owners blithely drive down the highway. And I was very surprised to see the post that said the liner owner took theirs out and there was not a speck of rust on the bed. I have never seen a truck bed that was not highly damaged after having an insert liner in it for a while.

Susan
I have also seen bed liners by the side of the road. Some folks buy second hand and don't have the proper fit. There are also some cheap liners sold through big box auto-stores that don't fit well. Obviously they are truck specific (maybe not so obvious to those folks?). I did not say the bed wasn't scuffed under the liner...it was, but so what? There was no indication of oxidation, at all. Again, I would be of the opinion that it really depends on how you use your truck. Hauling firewood, gravel, etc you would be more likely to damage the bed from impact if using a spray-in, and I ant stuff to slide; gravel for instance. I can always tie stuff down if I need to. I have had very positive experiences with drop in liners. For me, and how I use the truck, it is the way to go. For others, fo instance the folks who put expensive bikes in the bed and don't want them scuffed up (my mountain bikes don't really care-they get pretty beat up anyway!) then the nice soft bed rug is the way to go. I don't believe there is any "best" liner...it depends on how you use the truck...it's kind of like which is better; Chevy or Ford?

Bill
Old 08-02-2007, 08:34 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
BillTex,

I agree with you - there are no absolute answers and for each application there is a specific requirement. When it comes to dents the drop-ins do protect to a limited amount - more so than spray-ins. Those that tend to use their trucks as work trucks or farm vehicles generally don't worry about the bed and in most cases around here tend not to do anything to their truck beds. That's fine - that is what a truck is made for.

For the context of this discussion and used in this forums - most are looking to scratch proof their truck beds from the general camping stuff. They also desire the anti-slip of the spray-ins over the drop-ins. I have had both over the years and got very good performance from both. I did have a flat of bricks that was carefully placed in my Toyota 4x4 to prevent denting the bed slide and bend the front bed frame at a sudden stop - so I tend to tie all cargo in any bed of any truck with any bedliner material. And, on that note - the cargo in the bed of the truck is the responsibility of the owner and should be secured properly - including the bedliner .

So, I don't think there is a "best" answer - look at the application, useage of the truck, length of time you will own the truck, resale value, etc and decide. For many that is a sprayed in liner.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 11:49 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Previous truck (and those of friends) had spray-in liner. Convinced it was great. BUT, now have long-bed Dodge with topper and the MOPAR liner is godsend for sliding stuff around. Yes, I bought a HD load-lock bar at a truckstop, keep stuff in tubs and wood trunks, pails, etc. No problem with stuff moving around (secured or wedged).

I wouldn't have considered buying the topper or the liner except they came with the truck. Now I'm sold on both. Best of all, as the truck had sat on the lot for 181 days after taken in as trade I got it for well below list, below the I-net ads for a similar truck. Why? That "ugly" topper. Ha! (PO bolted it in place instead of clamping.)

The plastic liner has usually 600-lbs riding around on it, and I've really loaded it up a few times. I can't imagine trying to move stuff around on a spray-in under the cap.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:11 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
We have Line-X spray-on liner and it works fine for our dual purposes: handling general contractor misc. in real life, and carrying camping gear in Airstream Fantasy life. We've had all kinds of liners, etc. over the last 30 odd years, and this one is the best for us so far. We use dump trailers for gravel and other shovel-type loads, so our main concern is protection and cushioning. But the Line-X does get lots of use and abuse on the job and has held up with no problems so far. Moving heavy containers around hasn't been an issue--the surface is textured, but not sticky.
We have a camper shell on the bed most of the time, but switch it out with lumber racks and tools chests.
Old 08-25-2007, 12:28 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
1978 31' Sovereign
Mansfield , Georgia
In years past I have bought trucks with a plastic bedliner, they trap mositure.

I have a recently purchased a truck (2006) Ford F-250 diesel with a sprayed liner and I much prefer the sprayed liner.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:41 AM   #40
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCabin
Here's what I put in mine: BedRug

This is great on the knees.

Randy
Me too I love it, sprayed liners have no advantage, and they cost more.

Oh, bring the bandaids for the knees

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote