Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #21
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Gene, thank you, I am going to look closer at a gas vs Diesel, saves over $7000.00

Brian
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 01:51 PM   #22
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Update note to all that provided great thoughts,

We have moved ahead and purchased a F250 Crew Cab Diesel. The room in the back crew was much better as well as the diesel was very quiet compared to the GMAC. I know trucks are individual choices but after exhaustive research I felt the Ford overall was a better fit.
I have never spent so much time on any vehicle decision as I was so out of my understanding of all the different choices. I went with The F250, knowing it may be more truck than we need but would take care of our needs.. I hope we made the right choice and are looking forward to picking up our new 30 foot Flying Cloud in january 2012.

Also, info to note, we were able to get the 6.6 bed to haul our Harley, learned that you can get a Hitch Extender that will allow you to tow with the Tailgate down, called the Super Truss from Tork Lift. Extends out 24 to 28 inches and can handle the weight no problem. Happy Holidays

Brian
Old 12-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #23
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Brian

Congratulations on your purchase.

I have seen the hitch extenders from Tork Lift. I would suggest extreme caution when using one with a 30' Airstream. Even if the hitch can handle the weight, moving the pivot point rearward will adversely affect stability.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #24
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer
Brian

Congratulations on your purchase.

I have seen the hitch extenders from Tork Lift. I would suggest extreme caution when using one with a 30' Airstream. Even if the hitch can handle the weight, moving the pivot point rearward will adversely affect stability.
Thanks for the info, i did ask the gents, who work with hitches and the mechanics at Sky River RV this question and both , after doing some research indicated it would be fine, based on the rating of the hitch extension. I hope they were correct as the one Gent has well over 20 years working in tow issues and hitch. I am going to make another call to Airstream to see if they have any other thoughts as the initial comments, were positive.
Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
I, too, would be concerned about towing stability when extending the pivot point any further than absolutely necessary behind the tow vehicle. When I first purchased my Overlander in 1995, I tried to save a little money by utilizing the Reese hitch head that I had utilized with my Nomad and 1983 GMC G20 Conversion Van . . . it was a special hitch head that extended 8" beyond the receiver to eliminate problems with the spare tire that was mounted on the van's rear door -- back in the days prior to the Internet, I had never given any thought to why the Nomad always had sway problems, but I now realize that this movement of the pivot point may have been the cuprit. When this hitch head was applied first to my 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Club Cab Pickup and three years later to my 1999 Suburban/Airstream Overlander combination I had a combination that always felt like it was on the verge of serious sway. I never made this connection between pivot point and the extended hitch until a couple of years later when I mentioned that I felt the need for sway control on my Airstream while I was having an experienced Airstream service technician make some repairs . . . he immediately looked at my hitch and told me that he thought that a standard Reese hitch head would solve more than 90% of my trouble . . . had him install a standard Reese hitch head and the problem disappeared. As additional insurance, I added Reese Dual Cam Sway Control less than a year later just before I departed on a six-week trip that included a stop at the WBCCI International Rally in Boise, ID (1998) -- I have happily utilized that same basic hitch setup since 1998.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #26
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
I, too, would be concerned about towing stability when extending the pivot point any further than absolutely necessary behind the tow vehicle. When I first purchased my Overlander in 1995, I tried to save a little money by utilizing the Reese hitch head that I had utilized with my Nomad and 1983 GMC G20 Conversion Van . . . it was a special hitch head that extended 8" beyond the receiver to eliminate problems with the spare tire that was mounted on the van's rear door -- back in the days prior to the Internet, I had never given any thought to why the Nomad always had sway problems, but I now realize that this movement of the pivot point may have been the cuprit. When this hitch head was applied first to my 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Club Cab Pickup and three years later to my 1999 Suburban/Airstream Overlander combination I had a combination that always felt like it was on the verge of serious sway. I never made this connection between pivot point and the extended hitch until a couple of years later when I mentioned that I felt the need for sway control on my Airstream while I was having an experienced Airstream service technician make some repairs . . . he immediately looked at my hitch and told me that he thought that a standard Reese hitch head would solve more than 90% of my trouble . . . had him install a standard Reese hitch head and the problem disappeared. As additional insurance, I added Reese Dual Cam Sway Control less than a year later just before I departed on a six-week trip that included a stop at the WBCCI International Rally in Boise, ID (1998) -- I have happily utilized that same basic hitch setup since 1998.

Good luck with your research and investigation!

Kevin
Thanks Kevin,

If anybody has a interest please go to Torklift.com and check out the Super Truss extension, would always appreciate thoughts as this is what the Gents at Sky River suggested as a proven solution.

Best, Brian
Old 12-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It sounds like the Gents at Sky River are advising the Torklift extension is capable of holding up the Airstream weight (that may be true but I wonder if the factory Ford receiver can).

The issue with the heavy Airstream is sway control or stability. Sideways movement transferred to the truck will be greatly amplified by extending the pivot point farther BEHIND the truck. For example, this would be exactly opposite the effects of the exceptionally stable Hensley/ProPride hitch.

It is amazing what contraptions RV dealers will send customers out the door with in order to make a sale.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:53 AM   #28
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
All I could add is to try towing your rig without the hitch extender so you get a feel for how it handles. Then load in your Harley and hook up the hitch extender and try towing and see if it feels squirrely.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 01:20 PM   #29
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I bought my pickup second hand. The first owner had it set up for a truck camper. With the overhang of the camper ( like the tailgate down) they planned to tow a trailer, probably a boat. In addition to the factory Dodge hitch they had a Super Hitch rig installed. It's an additonal reciver hitch that piggy backs on the factory one for added strength. It looks like an over / under arrangement and allows the Super Hitch receiver to handle the added length of an extension. They are available as a bolt on to the factory hitch or a stand alone installation. I use it to tow with a regular insert. I don't need the extension but that's how it was designed to handle the long inserts. As to the stability issues, I have no idea, but this a hitch designed for that use.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:20 AM   #30
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum
It sounds like the Gents at Sky River are advising the Torklift extension is capable of holding up the Airstream weight (that may be true but I wonder if the factory Ford receiver can).

The issue with the heavy Airstream is sway control or stability. Sideways movement transferred to the truck will be greatly amplified by extending the pivot point farther BEHIND the truck. For example, this would be exactly opposite the effects of the exceptionally stable Hensley/ProPride hitch.

It is amazing what contraptions RV dealers will send customers out the door with in order to make a sale.

doug k
I am going to continue the research and thanks to all for the feedback, I will need to change out the hitch to a Torklift that is specific to the Super Truss Extension,may add sway control and weight distribution we will see. I spoke with another "hitch expert" who has used this product and told me that it will do the job. I will keep all advised and pull the Airstream both ways, with and without the extension and advise results, stay tuned.

Thank You all, really appreciate all the advise,so helpful as I am a novice in all this.

Best

Brian
Old 12-19-2011, 01:25 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
"may add sway control and weight distribution we will see."

Are you considering towing a 30ft Airstream trailer without weight distribution bars?
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:00 PM   #32
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
And without sway control?

I think you need to do a lot more research and talk to some other hitch experts who are not trying to sell you something.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #33
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene
And without sway control?

I think you need to do a lot more research and talk to some other hitch experts who are not trying to sell you something.

Gene
Hensley sway control hitch is what I am looking at based on advise from another forum member. In speaking with the sales rep from Hensley and tow expert they confirmed that this would be a good direction and due to the design with the extension piece I would be able to travel with tailgate down, have sway control and use existing hitch that is standard on the F250.

By using the Hensley I would not need the Super Truss from Torklift. If you can look At the Hensley web site you will see the system I am referencing.

Thank you for your advise.
Brian
Old 12-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #34
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazeevw
"may add sway control and weight distribution we will see."

Are you considering towing a 30ft Airstream trailer without weight distribution bars?
Thanks, Derek
I am still getting all the info to make sure we get the right set up, we are planning on weight distribution, just not sure of the mechanics and best method.
Brian
Old 12-20-2011, 11:23 AM   #35
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
bde, check out the ProPride. It seems to be an advance on the Hensley and cost less. How it works for your particular set up is beyond me, however.

Gene
Old 12-20-2011, 01:07 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
If you are buying a new F-250 for a tow vehicle it has an electronic anti sway built into the vehicle. I don't know how sensitive it is because I did not have problem with sway before nor after buying the new 2011 F-250. It might make a high priced hitch unnecessary. It would be worth a try before spending a lot of extra money on an unnecessary item. I know you will enjoy the truck.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 09:39 PM   #37
bde
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' Flying Cloud
Calabasas , California
I am looking into the pro pride, learned that it was designed by the founder of Hensley after he left Hensley in 2007, thanks for the suggestion.

Brian
Old 12-20-2011, 09:48 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You ought to call Sean Woodruff, the owner of Propride. Just go to Propride website for his number. If busy leave a message and he will call you back.

He is extremely helpful and knowledgeable about his product and what it can do for you. Tell him what you want to do and you won't be guessing any more. If it will work, he will tell you.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:52 PM   #39
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodum View Post
If you are buying a new F-250 for a tow vehicle it has an electronic anti sway built into the vehicle. I don't know how sensitive it is because I did not have problem with sway before nor after buying the new 2011 F-250. It might make a high priced hitch unnecessary. It would be worth a try before spending a lot of extra money on an unnecessary item. I know you will enjoy the truck.
How will anti-sway for the tow vehicle affect the trailer? The truck may not sway, and that may help, but it seems to me the trailer can still sway because it is separate from the tow vehicle except for the hitch.

Gene
Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
How will anti-sway for the tow vehicle affect the trailer? The truck may not sway, and that may help, but it seems to me the trailer can still sway because it is separate from the tow vehicle except for the hitch.

Gene
Truck sway control will HELP correct trailer sway. The truck system is reactive --it controls sway AFTER it occurs. A good hitch setup is proactive and helps prevent and (arguably) some brands and styles will help correct sway.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote