Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2012, 09:09 AM   #1

2009 16' International
Carpinteria , California
Bambi tow options - Ridgeline vs. Avalanche

Hi!

My wife and I are brand new to your world - - after years of fantasizing, we pulled the trigger and just bought (but have yet to pick up) a 2009 16' International Bambi. Now we need to buy something to yank it around with. We've gotten a ton of advice (most of it conflicting), and I was amused to see an earlier post on this site indicating the easiest way to start World War III is to ask what T.V. makes the most sense for a Bambi.

At this point we have two options - a Honda Ridgeline (5000# towing capacity), and a Chevy Avalanche with considerably more capacity.

I realize the obvious things in this choice, such as more power for hills with the AV, and greater fuel efficiency with the Ridgeline. My real questions are two: (1) everything else being equal, is it just a fact that the smaller Honda will get "beat up" faster and require significantly more repair and maintenance than the Avalanche, and (2) our being "newbies" at trailering, does the greater weight of the Avalanche significantly increase the overall safety factor?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Jim from SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Get you a Toyota Tundra or F150. From a reliability standpoint I would go with the Honda although I don't consider the Ridgeline a real truck you don't need a real truck to pull what you have. I would go Japanese or Ford. So if you only have two choices, go with the Honda. It really depends on what you are going to do with it. If you are just going to make short weekend trips you could pull it with a minivan. If you are going to be gone for weeks at a time and cover lots of miliage I would at least go with a 1/2 ton truck. My choices would be an F150 or Toyota Tundra.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"We've gotten a ton of advice (most of it conflicting),"
and that will continue here.☺

I am currently a 2012 F150 Ecoboost SuperCrewCab fan. Very happy with mine in pretty much all respects.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
"We've gotten a ton of advice (most of it conflicting),"
and that will continue here.☺

Isn't that the truth....LOL

The Ridge will give you more power/towing capacity then you will ever need.

It will use less fuel and have a more comfortable ride than any 1/2 ton.

With the IRS it will probably handle the trailer better and be more stable than any 1/2 ton.

Reliabilty???... no contest again. Not much of a debate here. Should be a quiet topic.... :7)
Old 08-08-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The Ridgeline is a better fit to the 16' Airstream, and more stable with or without the trailer attached as 'Ruler pointed out above. I don't see any safety benefit with greater weight. More mass to stop and maneuver when you have to do so quickly would not be useful.

Choice of tow vehicles should include how you would use it when not towing. Some need a truck for heavier hauling and some would do fine with the Ridgeline.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
If your tow vehicle will also double as a daily driver, the Honda will probably work fine. No experience with the Avalanche.

You might also take a look at the Toyota Tacoma, which is similar in size, or perhaps slightly larger (it has grown to be about the size of the older Tundra). A friend tows a Casita with a Ridgeline and is very satisfied with the setup.

Having owned both a Chevy crew cab and the newer Toyota Tundra CrewMax pickups, I'd go with either the Honda or Toyota trucks; because they seem to be a little more refined (car-like ride for in town and highway cruising) and for better reliability.

As part of your research, don't forget to check the Consumer Reports reliability ratings for all potential selections.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
Have you given any though to a Jeep Grand Cherokee? They are rated for 5000 with the 6 up to 7500 with the 8. I was looking at the same options. Then walked into the Jeep show room and purchased the Grand Cherokee Larado.
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim from SB View Post
Hi!

At this point we have two options - a Honda Ridgeline (5000# towing capacity), and a Chevy Avalanche with considerably more capacity.

I realize the obvious things in this choice, such as more power for hills with the AV, greater weight of the Avalanche= significant increase in overall safety factor

Seems you have answered your own questions...
Last year for the AV...better move quick!
Old 08-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
"greater weight of the Avalanche=significant increase in overall safety factor"

I learn something new here every day.

doug k
Old 08-08-2012, 01:27 PM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
“The tow vehicle should always outweigh the trailer”
Wally Byam
C 1958
Old 08-08-2012, 01:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
That's cute, Bill. But this is 2012.

doug k
Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2023 16' Basecamp
Currently Looking...
Chgo. N.W. Burb's , Illinois
Have towed our 20 ft. 2007 Safari with a 2007 Avalanche for 5 years. NO problems. Prev. had a 2002 Avalanche NO Problems.(over 100K) I think 2012 is the LAST Avalanche being Made. Will miss the 8/4 motor,Mid Gate Wall and 3 panels over truck bed.
I don't think you would go wrong on Honda ,get the bed panel covers.Roof Racks if avail. Have driven the Honda (not Towing) and it was beautiful.It should do a good job.
If the Av ever gives up i'll get a Ford.
knunut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #13
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
That's cute, Bill. But this is 2012.

doug k
Yes...I suppose the laws of physics have been revised lately...

My bad.
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
Yes...I suppose the laws of physics have been revised lately...My bad.
Nope the laws of physics haven't changed but the technology of the TV's have. Now where is that link I had of the new Malibu VS the 59 chevy in a crash test??
Old 08-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Leesburg , Virginia
Tow vehicles

I tow my 2006 19' Bambi with a 2012 Tacoma V6 Double Cab. I like the manuverability of the slightly smaller truck, and frankly the Toyota's and Honda's are just a higher quality vehicle in my humble opinion. In your case, I would go with the Honda. Again, just my opinion.

-Smitty
netman1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
The Woodlands , Texas
I've towed my 19' International Bambi for over 15K miles with my 2007 Honda Ridgeline. It tows great and is very comfortable. I've been in moutainous areas and very hot areas and so far have not had any major problems. Currently in Teton/Yellowstone area are we're doing GREAT!

I can't speak for the Avalanche since I've never driven one.
eberrobw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
You don't need a lot of power to pull the Bambi - we pull our 19' with our Sprinter, which has 154hp and about 250ft/lb of torque w/ 5 spd auto. It does fine - from AR to ON, up hills and down. Headed to Yellowstone next month. I'm not recommending the Sprinter - it's not for most people. If I had to replace it right now, I'd be looking at the Ridgeline.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:22 PM   #18

2009 16' International
Carpinteria , California
Thanks for everyone's input (and the humor). You guys are all great! Hope to see you on the highway somewhere...
Jim from SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
One thing that has not been addressed here is the possibility of "upsizing" your AS in the future. I'd go with the Chevy so you will not have to consider a larger TV if you trade up.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1988 32' Excella
Robbinsville , New Jersey
A couple of people here are not correct about the ride of the Avalanche it has the Suburban suspension and a smooth car like ride, not truck like. Also I don't understand the greater fuel mileage argument driving style can make more of a difference then the 1 mpg difference in fuel mileage rating. With that said either one would make a good choice to tow a bambi. Also 2013 is the last year for the Avalanche.
Wazbro is offline   Reply With Quote