Old 04-18-2016, 08:21 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member
2016 22' Sport
Clinton , Montana
I live in the western rockies of Montana. Lived out here for 2 years now after a move from Raleigh/Durham NC. We moved in the middle of winter (crazy!) in a Chrysler Town and Country Van. When we arrived the van had to sit at the bottom of our 1/2 mile driveway as the front wheel drive could not handle the gravel/snow/ice covered driveway.
Everywhere you looked the predominant vehicle on the road was the Subaru Outback. Before long we traded the van for a Outback. I loved that car! Handled any weather or road condition nature could throw at it. It had the smoothest transmission of any car I have owned and I loved the "paddle shifting option". Plenty of power....plenty of everything. Without a doubt one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. And I might add folks out here here keep them and drive them until the "wheels fall off"! The only problem we had with the car is our "family simply outgrew it"....and we couldn't pull any appreciable travel trailer with it save a "popup".
When you live in "grizzly country" only hard sided trailers are admitted to most of the National Park campgrounds. So we decided to trade it.
I have shared this background with you only because you were looking to trade off your Subaru for another vehicle. I am "guessing" your experience with the Subaru is pretty much like mine and the rest of western Montana.
I ended up with a new Ford Explorer Limited because it shared many of the characteristics of the paddle shifting, great gas mileage for an everyday "driver" and the capacity to tow 5000# with the optional "tow package option".
We have a Bambi 22' Sport and it is a perfect match for the Explorer. Our motor is not the Ecoboost V6 but the 3.5L V6 290 hp. We are averaging 14.5 mpg pulling the AS.
A month before we bought the Explorer my son bought the Toyota 4Runner Pro with a similar sized motor but comparing the two vehicles the Toyota is "underpowered" although it has a slight edge in "torque". Yet the ride and other amenities of the two vehicles heavily favors the Explorer. I honestly don't believe the 4Runner would handle the 22' Sport very well.(considering where we live) The trailer you are considering is lighter and it would probably be ok.

Again....the only reason I have gone into such detail is because you mentioned trading your Subaru for another brand. I like to tell people that I now own the "largest Subaru" that they's called a Ford Explorer.

Good luck with your finally choice.

Rpatrick16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #16
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
We enjoyed our 16' Bambi for as long as had it, and towed it with a Tacoma with a topper over the truck bed.

One thing you might consider with a 16-footer is that it has very limited storage space.

With a 6 foot truck bed with a topper and a crew cab with the Tacoma, we had all kinds of room for camping gear, extra luggage for long trips, the dog, auxiliary cooler, and so on. We could even sleep in the back end of the truck for back-of-beyond trips where we wouldn't tow a trailer. The Tacoma also got *relatively* good gas mileage.

We enjoy canoeing and our gear then includes canoe paddles, life jackets, and a water-tight blue barrel. We also like the desert, where we carry extra jerry cans of water and gas. A generator and (emergency) portable waste disposal tank often comes on longer trips.

So if you think about what you want to do on your camping trips, with how many people needing how much gear, and how long you're likely to be out there, you can guesstimate your cubic foot needs for storage.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote