Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Backup Camera as Rear View Camera

Saw questions about backup cameras. Here's what I just did using a

Pyle PLCM4300WIR Rear View Mirror Wireless Back-Up Camera System with 4.3-Inch TFT Touch Screen and Universal Mount Low Lux Camera with Scale Line

Was $105 including shipping from Amazon.

Here's the mirror, receiver and accessory plug. I bought the accessory plug at Radio Shack.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCN0332.jpg

The mirror clips over the existing mirror with spring tensioners. Very easy and portable. I've used it in two tow vehicles.

I mounted the camera on a small wooden block between the screen and the back window of our Airstream QuikSilver.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCN0335.jpg

The transmitter was attached to the screen with velco and some light fishing line at mid-screen so it had a straight shot at the receiver in the tow vehicle.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCN0338.jpg

This photo before completely wrapping the wires, but you can see where the wires go along the channel between the screen and window and slip inside under the screen's frame where they are then routed through the built-in clothes hamper.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../DSCN0340b.jpg

By adding another Radio Shack accessory plug to the wires from the receiver/camera, it can be plugged into the 12-V accessory recepticle in the back of the QS. Press the button to give it power and it becomes a rearview camera while driving. On all the time.

Here's the image you get when driving. The grid lines will tell you when a vehicle is right behind you and invisible in the mirrors, for example.

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...r/DSCN0330.jpg

Total time spent including rewiring the receiver and transmitter to accept the Radio Shack plugs: About an hour. Total cost including plugs and miscellaneous stuff, under $120.

Hope that helps anyone looking for a rearview camera.
Rapa Nui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:20 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
I've been considering a similar set-up. I'll probably put it off a bit longer since I have some more pressing projects to complete (like installing a bathroom sink). Thanks for the write-up!

By the way, great looking rig!
Kyle401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Milam , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1154695890.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	183896

Wireless, Vorager system. Wife also can watch Netflix movies on long trips
Works at night great.
Called airstream. Same system their using.
Placed a lic. Mount on truck also. Make it simple backing into arrow Hensley

Name:	image-2162553273.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	183897

Pulls like a dream. Just like terry @ Hensley claim.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3435158222.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	514.0 KB
ID:	183893   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2876087592.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	534.0 KB
ID:	183894  

Name:	image-4192568679.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	518.2 KB
ID:	183895  
Robert warne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
I purchased a Voyager from Amazon, reception was great the picture was awful, sent back the unit got my refund, not worth the $600.00 bucks, (I think I had a lemon)and went down to Pep boys and purchased their Digital unit, did not get the mirror mounted but the one with the small screen. I swap it between trailer and boat no problems.

I tapped into the compartment light for power(In the compartment below where Robert is working) used the 3 prong flat trailer connector for the camera and made an adapter so I can use the power source for standard car lighter plug. I can plug into trailer, truck hitch, boat no issues. I used my GoPro mount attached to my bike rack on the trailer, a suction mount on the truck for hitching and the GoPro mount for the boat. I use it on the boat while towing and underway.

Look for Pep Boys Coupons I think the whole thing was $110.00 give or take with tax.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:52 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Jim... Never could understand why the prices for wireless cameras are so much. Like you, spending more than a 150 bucks isn't necessary, especially if you have a some basic skills and can hook up a wire to another wire! Nice job.
...Art
Old 04-21-2013, 09:56 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Coach
Bandon , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle401 View Post
I've been considering a similar set-up. I'll probably put it off a bit longer since I have some more pressing projects to complete (like installing a bathroom sink). Thanks for the write-up!

By the way, great looking rig!
Kyle... When you get around to it, after the sink, try to keep the camera high and behind the rear glass window. Keeps road grime from camera lens. We did the Oregon to Arizona and back in rain and never lost a clear picture.

Thanks for the compliment on the rig. Appreciate it.

Best,

...Art
Old 04-21-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Art, my previous camera is a wireless analog unit and was mounted in the rear window of the trailer, worked ok on the Interstate but the signal was torn up in any urban area. It has been fairly recently that the digital units have become affordable. The Voyager was the only game in town for a period but the sun is setting on their domination of the digital video signal market in rearview cameras.

The one thing I don't need in the cab of my truck is another large display screen. I use a iPad (First Generation no wireless (ATT) connection WiFi and BT only) for navigation in my tuck and as a chart-plotter on my boat, use a Dual GPS unit via bluetooth to get my position. Use iPhones as backup navigation on boat and trailer. I also have 3 old model iPhones that I carry my music on, car, trailer, boat, all have bluetooth connections to entertainment systems, plus the older iPhones can also be backup navigation systems. I still get lost, go figure.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:26 PM   #8
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Jim, "Not all who wander are lost."

Looking hard at camera setups.. and, yeah, I don't get the $600 cost for the Voyager..
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Rear View Camera

I paid over $500 for a rear view set up about six years ago for use on a different trailer. I now use it in our 17 foot Safari Sport. I bought a holder with a suction cup from Radio Shack and altered it to hold the camera. It mounts to the inside of the rear window. The cord runs through under the corner of the door. I filed the sharp corners of the door and hold the cord in place with duct tape before shutting the door when traveling. I use the camera for backing up and for seeing if another vehicle is following. It doesn't give a clear view at more than 100 feet or so.
dalemonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bellingham , Washington
Interesting solutions .
langillemc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
1964 30' Sovereign
Richland , Washington
Hello... new to the forum. We just acquired an Airstream and immediately are in the middle of a cross country trip with it (From Washington state to Vermont). I've never hauled anything before so I really wanted a backup/rearview camera system. I got some ideas from this forum for my install so I thought I'd post my install for those that are still deciding how to approach this.

I purchased a Pyle TFT screen, two cheap ($15) license plate mounted cameras and 50' of RCA cable... all off Amazon. I put one camera on the truck and one camera on the back of the Airstream. I didn't have much time to get them installed so I still have finish work to do, but overall I think the setup does OK. I've gone 3,400 miles so far through heat, absolute thunderous downpoors (sitting and driving) and horrendously rough and jolting roads and things are still working. Overall I think I spent $150 (including wire splices, connectors, tape, monitor mount, etc). The camera on the back of the Airstream has been the most help. After 3,400 miles I can safely say I wouldn't have wanted to do this trip without it. It lets me see when I can get back over into the slow lane after passing (extremely helpful in big cities with heavy but fast traffic), let's me see when cars sneak up on us and ride our tail (otherwise I would have no idea a car would be behind us) and of course, backing into places.

The camera images are not as great as I would hope but still better than nothing at all. The distance lines are essentially useless and a distraction, I wish there was a way to turn them off. The Pyle TFT is OK for the price I guess - it has two channels but I have to switch between them. I needed a working system fast so it's not a clean or pretty install; I would love for all of it to be more stock looking. I configured the disconnect from truck to trailer with 4 pin trailer connector.

Here's a couple photos.
Attached Images

2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD
https://www.silversojourner.com/
SilverMiette is offline   Reply With Quote