Old 02-04-2006, 07:25 AM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I am going to "weigh" in here (pun intended) I have a 75 Sovereign rear bath. My real world weight with full LP tanks minimal "stuff" inside is just a shade under 6000# my measured hitch weight is 685#. FWIW the unit GVW is 7200# I strongly suspect that the weights listed on the Airstream site are basic weights and don't include any options, Intenational Package, Vistaviews, etc. I am a Ford man so I am not up to speed on the Chevy availablity. However I slept at a....oops, our company owns several 2500HD 6.0L with the 4.10's. They are a pulling truck. I have towed my Sovereign with a F150 4.6L 3.73. It did just fine, on flat ground. There is NO WAY I would attempt to do this on a full time basis. I believe that Airstreams are one of the best handling trailers on the road and you can get away some things towing them you can't with an SOB, not that you should or that I reccomend it.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2006, 07:42 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Bing! The fight is immediately called a DRAW to get the ref out of spitting gange. Crowd decends into a melee that the 'crips' and 'bloods' got beaten out of - they are all hospitallized in several Downtown traumacenters in seperate single rooms. Crips on 8, bloods on 9 - if you wanted to visit. Hours are 9 - 6 M-S, Sun 1-5.

On....to the news of the day.
I bought my'01 2500HD 'Burb on the same day as a friend bought his '01 2500HD. Same assembly shift even! He has the 8.1 / 4.10 and all else is essentially the same. I have the 6L/ 3.73 and all else is essentially the same.

We bought have about 55K on the clocks. He tows a very light trailer about 8 times a month for a day. I pull a 14'er dual axle enclosed Utility trailer about once a month.

He gets 7 3/4 MPG driving around like a Type A - to/from work, business meetings, etc. When he is relaxing and taking it easy he gets 9.9 MPG (NOT 10, which is pissing him off no end). The trailer is negligible when he hauls it.

When I drive around town and all the other 'too numerous to mention' things in my life I get 13.8 MPG. I have gotten 14.9MPG in a tank of gas that consisted of a lot of flat territory and nearly NO mountains driving. And I do live in Mountains with elevations that cover 2ooo feet in one mile and 12% grades are the norm to get to our houses.

When the Airstream gets on the tail of "Kelly" for a romp out into nature. I experience about 11.2 MPG - I averaged that out over a 2 week trip to the Black Hills coming from Iowa and heading thru Denver and over Raton pass to get to Albuquerque.

Now conserning the 4.10 vs 3.73 gears debate. The mileage does suffer when you are hauling, and even when you are NOT hauling. That is not to say that a lower gear can't be a huge help. So can the 4.10.

I have been VERY happy with the 6L and 3.73 choice (Ha!!! They had it on the lot!) and it has serviced us will without so much as even a hichup. Love that truck!!!!

Go out and buy the truck you always wanted!!!!!!!!! Just be sure it can pull your rig! or else that was just a fantasy that is going to cost you dearly at trade-in time. Had a friend that got stunk to the tune of 10K on a trade/ and buy deal. Yikes......

Don't know that I moved any process forward, but hey, I wasn't really trying either.

Ciao

Axel
facor8man@yahoo.com
Axel,
I have a '01 2500 4X4 extended cab with 8.1/Allison combo and 3.73 rear end. I get 14.6-14.9 mpg on the highway at 70 like clockwork. I got 10-12 towing a '77 31' Excella before I sold the trailer. The only time I get below 10 mpg is when I run AC and am hitting continuous hilly or mountainous terrain.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2006, 10:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Chevy's website is "fun" to try and find some specs. Here's the link to the chart I tried to copy/paste and had to do by hand. Maybe you can find what you need using this as a launching point.

http://www.chevrolet.com/avalanche/specifications/

There are tabs on this page where you can get the engine specs, trailering specs, about all of it. Took me a while to get to here though. The 8.1 does have it all over the 6.0 in torque. 447 ft-lbs to 330. Day to day mileage would surely take a big hit though.

The guys I know with the 6.0 in their pickups say it's a great motor, but they average about 12mpg all the time.

I average about 15-16 with my Cummins in mixed driving; get 21 on the highway. I've only towed the Airstream about 30 miles with it so far, but that was in hilly WV and I still got nearly 16. Was only averaging about 50mph though
Old 02-05-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by basecamp
The 2500 Avalanche only comes with a 8.1 litre gas engine. glug glug, I wouldn't want to feed it...
If that is the case, Chevy has their head up their butt again. The Avalanche 2500 would be a great vehicle with the 6.0 in it and even better with the Duramax with Allison but we know that is not happening at the moment.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags