Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2019, 05:37 PM   #1
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Atlas all electric truck

I know I'm kinda starting another thread, when I already have my "When to go electric for your next tow vehicle" thread; but man , this is exciting......

Ahhh guys, nirvana has come....well, almost.

Up to 35,000 lb tow capacity, 15 minute charge with possible upgrade to 5 minute charge, 0-60mph 5 seconds, 1 metre wading, 300, 400, 500 mile range.......

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/01/07/atlis-xt-pickup/

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Vapor ware until it starts rolling off the assembly line. We see too many of these things (Fisker)
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:17 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
I hope this happens but there are a lot of pretty grand promises here...
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
IMHO, it's only partial vaporware. The tech components and computer controls are now readily available. The charging infrastructure, though far better, still has a long way to go, unless you are Tesla of course. The trick is building it at a price that more than a niche group of folks can afford and of course range and charging. The other issue, not directly related to an EV offering is tax. EVs don't really pay any gas tax that fund road maint. There are a number of ways being discussed. A transponder that logs miles and you are charged based on miles (not really liking that one), flat annual tax (might not be very fair), or bring vehicle in like an emission test and miles are logged and you are billed. EVs though by their very nature are the only vehicles that will get greener over time. As the grid continues to clean up and green up, it makes EV a good option if they can deliver.

Electric motors currently move locomotives powered by diesels/electrics. There are now electric motors moving tractor trailer big rigs. There has been a steady uptick of EV consumer cars for about 9 years now, with lots of great info on how they operate in a wide range of environments in that time.

I have driven an hybrid EV now for 6 years and I can tell you when they have chargers avail like gas stations, and range has been solved, the real question like the dino burning counterparts will be what tow capacity do you need. I know I really like not having to change oil, or replace brakes (regenerative braking) nearly as much, etc. The gas/diesel discussion may either completely evaporate, or the discussion will be gas/diesel/electric/hybrid.

It really is a forgone conclusion of when, not if. Will it be for everyone, prob not, but neither will the steering wheels disappearing and in reality, those too will prob be gone in my lifetime.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 08:44 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
I agree that the technology is developing and I am excited for the future even though I love a good V8 sound. But the press announcements do not make me excited after too many false starts. I will get excited reading the science and again when one of these vehicles is real.
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote