Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lynchburg , Tennessee
Astro/safari??

We are between vans right now. We had a raised roof G20 conversion van with 230k miles. We are considering an Astro or Safari. Although I don't have actual numbers, the weight/hosepower ratio seems to be similar during test drives. We would use it more for a daily driver than a tow vehicle so the increased gas milage would be nice. I do have an old pick up that's set up pretty good and use it to tow locally. We don't go very far, usually less than 30 miles with the trailer. I do want the option of going cross country with the van as I love AZ and haven't been out that way in a while. We would not do that trip in summer months though. I know it would need the proper WDH, brake box and fluid coolers. Thanks for all the knowledge and opinions.
driverjohnlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 02:31 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Western , Washington
i have an astro which i tow a 20 foot minuet with. it--97 with 193000 miles gets 12 to 15 miles towing. i tow in third gear with 3.73 ratio. trailer weight 2450 dry. loaded its about 3100#. you need to go to Welcome to www.ASTROSAFARI.com and research their towing section. my awd astro weights 2750# front 2360# rear, the tounge weight is about 600# with trailer. good luck, out.........
acgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:40 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Lynchburg , Tennessee
I'm new here. After starting a new thread, I discovered the other pages of threads. I found at least 3 other threads on this exact subject. I've figured out this combo is borderline. More importantly, my wife decided she wasn't a real fan of their appearance. Thanks for the info.
driverjohnlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:13 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You are welcome. You will find lots of opinions about tow vehicles, weight distributing hitches, and axles here.
IF you can talk the wife into it, the Astro-Fari has a tow rating of around 5,000 pounds, depending on how they are equipped.