Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-31-2009, 12:00 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sempi2 View Post
OK we are overboard, 22" Safari, 2009 Tundra and the haha. But we feel pretty safe and the ride is smooth. in fact I actually drove +++forward+++++++++++for a little while. go big on your tv. We just fit ours into the garage. getting better at that
Sounds like a nice set up to me! I love the new Tundras...especially with an AS behind it...
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Our Ridgeline tows the 22" Safari Sport with no problems so I would assume with the proper set up you could do the same.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 10:13 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Ahab.. I don't think it is an Apple to Apples comparison of the Ridge and the Tacoma in question. From what I have heard, read, and seen the Ridge is a far better, and more capable TV.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:04 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2006 16' International CCD
Niagara Falls , New York
I had an 04 Tacoma 4 cyl 4WD reg cab that I used to tow a Jayco Jayfeather 165 with. That was a 16 foot box trailer that weighed 2900 lbs empty. I towed it thru the Poconos in NY State with the Tacoma. You have way more power than I had, but another really big problem was the short wheelbase of the truck. A case of the "tail wagging the dog". I now have an 07 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4WD with the Hemi & tow pkg w/3.92 rear end. I can't begin to describe the difference in towing ability. That being said, you just might get away with doing it, but you won't be happy with that combination for too long. Makes for a stressfull drive.
ata3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 03:38 PM   #25
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC aravanner View Post
I gotta tell you Stingray, I've always had a desire to hit those runaway truck ramps myself. After your last reply, though, you got me reconsidering that one.
I feel silly asking this, but I guess since I've not yet hit the open road with my trailer I don't really know, are Brakes Standard on Airstreams? Or, more importantly does my 70 Caravanner have brakes? Or, perhaps most importantly should I just get my flashlight and just go outside and have a looksy?

IIRC, all trailers over 1000lbs (I think?) are supposed to have brakes on them. I know of no Airstreams that don't have brakes, but I suppose there might be someone who doesn't have them anymore....from the factory, though, they all had brakes.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:27 PM   #26
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I had a '99 Tacoma and it was a wonderful truck—it was the V6 with a standard transmission. Never towed anything with it. Jazzing up the engine can't hurt in towing, but what is the payload of the Tacoma?

Payload is the issue with 1/2 ton trucks towing midsized Airstreams and it would also be with a smaller pickup like the early Tacomas (the newer ones are just 1st generation Tundras rebadged Tacoma I think) when towing shorter trailers.

Does your Tacoma have a weight distributing hitch receiver? Does it have a tow package?

The Sport models are designed to be lighter for towing with smaller vehicle, but they are also meant more for weekends, especially if boondocking because of limited tank (water, black, grey) capacities and storage.

Are you insane? I can't tell from here.

Would I like to go up a runaway truck ramp? Sure, but with someone else's truck, and I'd like to be long gone when the state patrol or a runaway truck shows up.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:56 PM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Been there...done dat.

Don't worry...... if you get an Airstream, and your truck won't tow it into your comfort zone you'll end up getting one that will.

IMHO, your Toy is doable, just.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:44 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Stoney Creek , Ontario
Gcvr

You may want to check out the GCVR for the Tacoma. I think it is around 7500 lbs (that would include truck, trailer, you, gas, water, and everything else). Your Tacoma probably comes in around 3200 dry (curb) weight which would leave you 4200 for the trailing, contents you and the truck contents. Not a lot of room.

I tow with a small 8cyl Dodge Durango and know that while my specs are good (8700 towing cap), my GCWR is close to the 12000 allowed. It just means that I slow down (a lot), stop sooner (don't rely on the trailer brakes to always work), and generally take it easy.

My advice would be to try it. Just be careful and figure out in advance what to do. If you get an airstream you love, the tow vehicle gets replaced when you decide it isn't safe enough.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck.
Alex
astewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:36 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I

The Sport models are designed to be lighter for towing with smaller vehicle, but they are also meant more for weekends, especially if boondocking because of limited tank (water, black, grey) capacities and storage.

Gene
Most of our camping is boondocking and we don't have any problems with the "limited capacities". Also, we have storage we haven't used yet.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:13 PM   #30
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab View Post
Most of our camping is boondocking and we don't have any problems with the "limited capacities". Also, we have storage we haven't used yet.
But we always need our collection of anvils from 50 states and 10 provinces.

Now we're working on a sash weight collection.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
There are a few issues one should consider in the evaluation of a Tow vehicle (TV) with regard to a specific weighted trailer:

1. Do not exceed the weight limits set by the TV manufacturer. The life of the TV will be shortened as you approach or exceed its limitations.

2. Are you a flat-lander? Are you going to be towing up or down grades?

I have a video where some dude was towing an SOB with a yogo, until they started up a hill - then the SOB was towing the yogo – backwards!! This is an extreme case, used to make the point vivid.

The slope of the grade is also a factor.

3. Towing safely is also directly related to the ratio between the weights of the TV to that of the trailer. This is one of many reasons manufacturers set tow limitations. You have to start planning, preparing, and anticipating your driving actions further in advance the heavier the trailer.

In my opinion, once the trailer is 2 or more times the weight of your TV, you loose the ability to foresee the action of other drivers far enough in advance to react timely or safely.

Here are two possible conditions that have happened to all of us that drive the Rockies (and I’m sure others could add numerous more examples):

Condition 1: Your TV is maxed out by the weight of the trailer, and you are driving down a 6.5% grade. You feel the need to break to keep your speed in check and maintain control as you go around a bend that was a little tighter then you thought it would be going into the curve, when somebody from behind races past and cuts right in front of you to avoid on-coming traffic, forcing you to slam on your breaks to avoid an accident. Do you have the breaking power to avoid a major accident? How would that yogo handle this situation?

Condition 2: It’s 100+ degrees out, and your TV is maxed out by the weight of the trailer as you start up a long steep, winding grade. You have to go slow because of all the curves, but you lack power. As a result, you have to shift down to a lower gear, which means you have to go slower and it will take you more than 40 minutes to get to the top. Your engine has to run at a high rpm to keep up with the demand. How long before your TV over-heats? By the way, we will assume your hoses and belts are all in optimum condition. ..
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 07:55 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alwhisman View Post
I agree with what most are saying. The stability in adverse responses is the key. Straightline towing is easy, it's when things dont go right I'd be thinking about.
Yes, having a vehicle that can handle the bad times as well as the good times is key.