Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 PM   #1
Utowpia

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2021 27' Globetrotter
Kennesaw , Georgia
Armada or Tahoe?

Hello Airstreamers. We are newbies and are getting a new 25FB Flying Cloud and need to decide on a tow vehicle. It will also be a daily driver and we don't want a truck. We've narrowed it down to a 2017 Nissan Armada SL or a 2015-2017 Chevy Tahoe with the Max Trailering package. It looks like they both tow the same but there seems to be mixed reviews on the Tahoe here on the forums and only (admittedly good) opinions on the older Armadas. Does anyone have any experience with or opinions of either vehicle? The Armada is a lot cheaper but we kind of like the look of the Tahoe more. Consumer Reports doesn't particularly like either one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Who knew this would be so difficult!
Utowpia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #2
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
I have the Infiniti QX56 2006. It has the same motor as the Armada I believe. This SUV has been great for towing. We have put around 35,000 miles on towing a 25 that weighs around 7,300 lbs. with a tongue weight of 1,000 to 1,100 lbs. The Infiniti has never let us down, and have had no problems crossing the mountains. Well we did have one problem, the air suspension went out on our last excursion coming back from Georgia. This was really my fault for having so much tongue weight. I got it fixed and then added airbags. This will help the stock air suspension with so much tongue weight.
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
Hi there! Just saw this thread. I have a 2015 Armada SV 4x4 that I bought used in December to pull our 2017 25FB Flying Cloud. It's been great. There is some sag, but the blue ox sway bars makes it manageable. I wanted the rear leveling suspension, but couldn't find an SL with 4x4 anywhere; and I didn't feel the need to have the Platinum model as I mainly use it for towing. I made a point to get the 4x4 to make sure to get the higher tow capacity, otherwise I'd be out of specs. I also thought about the Tahoe. I chose the Armada because in the end I couldn't justify the $15k+ more it would have been for a comparable Tahoe.

Curious, what did you end up buying?
VLWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
What are the payload numbers of each? I'd choose the one with the highest payload.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtroost View Post
Hello Airstreamers. We are newbies and are getting a new 25FB Flying Cloud and need to decide on a tow vehicle. It will also be a daily driver and we don't want a truck. We've narrowed it down to a 2017 Nissan Armada SL or a 2015-2017 Chevy Tahoe with the Max Trailering package. It looks like they both tow the same but there seems to be mixed reviews on the Tahoe here on the forums and only (admittedly good) opinions on the older Armadas. Does anyone have any experience with or opinions of either vehicle? The Armada is a lot cheaper but we kind of like the look of the Tahoe more. Consumer Reports doesn't particularly like either one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Who knew this would be so difficult!

I don't want to Bomb your post, but I wonder if you've considered the Sequoia, and if so, what made you rule it out? Thanks!
FishTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari
Southwest VA , Virginia
My Tahoe is a 2009, and I'm not sure it is even that I comment since you are looking at much newer models. It has a factory towing package and is listed to tow 8,600 pounds. We towed our new to us 2007 25' Safari from North Carolina to VA about 2 and 1/2 hours.

The roads to our home in VA are mostly highway with some curves and hills, but not mountainous, if this helps give you perspective.

We got a Curt Weight Distributor Hitch with 1,000# tow rating and towed the trailer empty with the Tahoe.

My husband kept to the speed limit and the Tahoe pulled it. It also slowed and stopped it. He said it felt ok. There was no traffic and we were never passed by semi's so I can't speak to that.

However, he ended up with a Ford 250 gas (not diesel). He simply felt that if we are going to go over mountains and head out west, we need more than the Tahoe. He felt it would just really put a major strain on it. I don't think he would have been comfortable heading even into the smaller mountains in the Shenandoah area, let alone conquering the Rockies.

Although we were well within specs for weight, I do think the shorter wheel base is a thing with how it makes the driver feel when driving, and our Tahoe has a much shorter wheel base than our new to us Ford 250. The hitch was awesome. It did it's job.

I have no experience with the other vehicle you mentioned.
Hopeful1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Long Beach , California
So this just in. I screwed the pooch and contributed erroneous information. After this thread, it got me to thinking and I double checked my Armada SV 4x4 tow capacity. Due to conflicting web info I called Nissan directly and they confirmed that I am OUT of specs as it is only rated for 6500lbs of TT. Now I will have to go out and find the SL or Platinum editions as they do have the higher capacity. Or find a different TV.

Huge Mea Culpa. Sorry about that.
VLWino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Chevy

After a very bad customer service experience with Nissan I will never buy another vehicle produced by that company. I have 0 confidence that they will stand behind their product when and if problems arise that are clearly their responsibility.
Having said that, I tow with an F-150 that is excellent for the purpose. If the Tahoe meets your needs, buy it. My advice is to steer clear of Nissan, but of course YMMV.
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
I tow our 28’ with the Armada and it is great. We have 25,000 miles of towing, almost 1/2 of total miles on TV. Our 2013 is rated for 9000 lbs as it has max tow pkg, trailer is 7600 GW. We just went to CO and through the Rockies with no problems. We have owned numerous Nissans and have loved them all.
Old 10-30-2019, 05:33 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Get the one with the big V8.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote