Old 07-11-2012, 10:53 AM   #15

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
Something else.I didn't mean to offend. One of these days I intend on having a 6-popper Cummins.
No, no, you didn't offend... I just like to keep tabs on vehicles that are not capable of what they're supposed to be capable of, since I'll have to buy a newer tow vehicle someday. The 6-cyl Cummins and V6 Ecoboost are high on my list at the moment, so those are the ones I asked about.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I guess my comment was in regard to some of the small gas rigs, not the diesels. We're on one of the major travel routes to Yellowstone, and every day during tourist season we see underpowered vehicles towing too big of RV's up the hill. I understand folks need to make do with what they've got, but I worry about people overestimating their vehicles abilities. It often puts people in a hazardous situation. There are a lot of people here that have much more knowledge than me, and I try not to voice my opinion when those folks are available. I spoke up this time because the OP had the same truck as me, and maybe I made a comment that I shouldn't have made. Sorry.

Old 07-11-2012, 06:32 PM   #17
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalweg View Post
I guess my comment was in regard to some of the small gas rigs, not the diesels. We're on one of the major travel routes to Yellowstone, and every day during tourist season we see underpowered vehicles towing too big of RV's up the hill. I understand folks need to make do with what they've got, but I worry about people overestimating their vehicles abilities. It often puts people in a hazardous situation. There are a lot of people here that have much more knowledge than me, and I try not to voice my opinion when those folks are available. I spoke up this time because the OP had the same truck as me, and maybe I made a comment that I shouldn't have made. Sorry.
Man, you just keep on making your observations. Most of us have learned about these subjects by noting the details pointed out by others we didn't notice before, or didn't think they mattered. There's Jeeps (1975 CJ7, owner-modded) and there's Jeeps (2012 JK with factory antiskid and anti-roll, etc) . . quite a bit of difference in just a name. Same for hitches, tires, brakes and all the other fun stuff: it's often in the details.

Pulling a grade slowly isn't such a big deal . . if one can maintain 35-mph. 10-mph, agreed, is a bit different. Then again, one may never run that road again, so . . . .

And when they have the same TV (tow vehicle) go for it. Differences and disagreements just mean the place isn't dead yet. And even local boy Nolan Ryan couldn't hit Wyoming with an empty beer bottle from here

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:58 AM   #18

Currently Looking...
Huntersville , North Carolina
WOW, this is just the kind of input we were hoping for – “hands-on, actual experiences”.

Doug: I do tend to get lost in the numbers and details based on my previous life in the nuclear field so this info really helps. And yup, I used to saw the handles off of tooth brushes when backpacking in my younger days, so I understand “travel light” but sure hate to leave my cast iron cookware at home!

Thalweg: Sounds like we have the identical truck. I forgot to mention that ours is a 4x4 also. Additionally, we visited your part of the world just last month and were totally captivated. We visited (by car) Billings, Sheridan, Cody, Yellowstone, Bozeman and Jackson Hole. I had read a lot about Big Horns, but was in total awe when I actually saw them; maybe even more than Yellowstone. The trip last month was the determining factor in deciding to become RVers.

Wayward: Noticed you’re from Raleigh. Are there any AS dealers around Charlotte that you’re aware of?

Chuck & Susan: A great Carolina Welcome, who could ask for anything more; unfortunately, locked in for this weekend but maybe next month. Does the Carolinas unit of WBCCI have a web sight so we could keep up with the get togethers?

Thanks again to all.

John & Sherry
Old 07-12-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Thanks REDNAX. I "lurked" here for years prior to buying a trailer and joining the forum. In that time I learned a lot from your posts. I appreciate your perspective.

Old Crow; You really were in our back yard. We're about 35 miles south of Sheridan in Buffalo. We do feel privilaged to have the Bighorns so close, and we've heard others say they are more impressed with them than Yellowstone. I'm not sure is see that, as the Yellowstone Teton area is pretty awsome. I suspect that most of the advantage of Bighorns over Yellowstone is the lack of people. Yellowstone just gets so darned crowded. I haven't been there for a couple of years, but if I can get my trailer put back together by this fall, we're thinking of going there just before it closes for the winter. I hope I can get the furnace to work, cuz it'll be chilly. If you're ever in the area again, look us up.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Old Crow, the cast iron cookware is actually an excellent choice. Stovetop, oven, campfire or grill, a dutch oven for example can replace several ceramic and stainless pieces. The trick is to leave the other stuff at home. The compact Airstream kitchens are made larger by thoughtful cookware choices.

doug k
Old 07-13-2012, 11:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
Airstream in Carolina

John and Sherry,

Link to the website of the Carolina's Unit of the WBCCI is:

Carolinas Unit of North Carolina

Link to the Facebook Page of the Carolina's unit is:

Carolinas Unit of NC, Unit 21, WBCCI | Facebook

The next rally for the unit is at Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park in Copper Hill Virginia August 2-5, 2012. Please plan to join us with or without a trailer. Highland Haven is a wonderful campground and exclusive to Airstreams.

The only official Airstream dealer in NC is Out of Doors Mart in Greensboro.

I sent you some more info in a private message.
TAC FL-55 | WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:54 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Western , ** Big Sky Country ** Montana
Our six popper will easily pull our AS or a 28' shoal draft heavy keel sailboat / tandem trailer. Mountain passes are unremarkable and the folks that have - in the past with other vehicles -been heretofore behind us on steep grades are no longer slowed by us as we have never dropped below 55mph and rarely even have the transmission downshift. TV is 2012 Ram 3/4 turbo diesel crew cab Laramie which replaced F150 triton. We especially like the torque, brakes, tow/haul mode, and exhaust brake ... did I mention rear backup camera, heated seats, cooled seats, satellite radio (50s & 60s stations !) and it is MUCH quieter than the previous TV. Also, this iteration does not spew dark smoke and the fumes are scrubbed.