Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-19-2018, 05:38 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
ARE truck cap: which model w/dogs?

Hi. With the F-250 order placed, I’m now looking at add-ons. I’m going with a truck cap so that our dogs will have a place to stay when they (eventually) join us. Thanks to existing threads on this and other forums, I have decided on ARE and am looking at the CX and Z series. I think the MX is out of the running due to storage height limitations. I’m looking now because there is an 8-10 week delivery timeframe.

My question is this: will the sliding windows on the z-series (along with an open window to the cab) provide adequate ventilation for dogs? I like the “outdoorsman windoor” option available with the CX (not available with Z) but in truth the pickup bed is too high for me to reach in any get anything easily anyway, and I will either build or purchase a bed slide. I greatly prefer the locking mechansm for the Z’s rear window (coupled with the remote for the truck, and not available for the CX).

I know cabs get warm so this isn’t about keeping the pups safe in extreme conditions. Anyone with ARE caps and dogs care to share their experience?
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:04 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I have the ARE CX model with windoors. It is a cab high cap with just a single garage door handle on the back window. I never liked caps with two handles on the back as it is inconvenient. I have only one problem with the cap and the side windoors leak. I think they need to be removed and resealed. Even with the problems I would still get them again as it is easier to reach in for things as opposed to a rear entry only. I have a tool box in the front of the truck that fits between the bed rails and can get some tools from there.
As far a dogs go, I sometimes will put a muddy dog in the back if the outside ambient temperatures are not too hot. Also remember that a lot of heat is garnered from the exhaust pipe under the bed and makes it hotter in the cap. Summer no - OK in the spring, fall and winter here in the midwest. The windoors have small sliding windows.
The rear seats in my truck fold independently. One side is folded down for my daughter and the other is folded up for the dog which sits on a flat floor. I keep a cover over the flat floor so I can shake the hair out from time to time.
Also I had the Yakima racks installed at the factory. They will carry more weight when installed from the factory than put on aftermarket. I also put my LED lights in the cap with switch and it is like daylight in there at night.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 06:13 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
Installed the CX Classic last year with the windoors, sliding front window, single rear latch, Yakima rails, roof rug and LED lights. It has leaked since day one from the rear and I just live with it after hearing from so many users that’s it’s just part of the ownership story.

I put in the roof rug to help with insulation as I planned to have the dogs in the rear using the windoors and sliding rear window for airflow. Don’t do it. The cab just gets too hot in all but very cool weather plus with the exhaust and catalytic converter below, heat just rises. Not to be outsmarted by my truck, I researched the type of cab coolers that tractor trailer drivers have to use. These can do the job but they come with a heavy price tag so I decided to make the kids uncomfortable and we keep our large dogs in the back seat.

Something like this with a low battery cutoff switch so it didn’t kill the 2nd battery when it was running with the engine off. Essentially you are adding a second AC system to the rear of the vehicle.

https://www.arcticbreeze-truckac.com...eezeintro.html
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 06:07 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Well I don’t have the ARE but do have a Leer and the dogs ride inside the truck cab when outdoor temperatures are above 72 degrees.
Profxd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:00 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
My dogs are from Jamaica. They kind of love heat in ways that don’t seem natural to me. But I don’t leave them in the car if it’s over 80 without either running the AC (remote start) or parking in the shade and leaving the windows open.

In any case I’ll go with the Z series. I like the frameless windows and remote lock and it just overall seems like a simpler setup. Dogs can move to the cab when the kids aren’t with or if conditions dictate, and I’ll use boat hooks or a slider to get things out of the bed.

Thanks, everyone!
Old 09-22-2018, 08:40 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Once you get your cap, park in a typical spot on a hot day and get in the back of the truck with the rear door closed. Stay in there for a while to see what your dogs will experience. If you don’t like it, they won’t either.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
I have no intention of mistreating my dogs, but you know, thanks for the advice. ��
Old 09-22-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Be aware that exhaust fumes may be sucked into the windows if they're left open while driving.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote