Old 07-28-2008, 06:09 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
I will stand corrected, and in sit in the corner with dunce hat on, over my last post. An older model , with 8.1/4.10 gearing, would indeed make good TV. I still believe, however, that 5.3/3.73 gearing is not enough for trailer weighing over 7,000 lb.'s

Old 07-28-2008, 08:11 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Cumberland , RI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
Good post Ron. It illustrates the fact that one needs to consider the bigger picture when talking about tow vehicles, towing, safety, and performance.

Simply talking about the TV is not enough. One needs to consider more than TV specs and need to include connection hardware quality, setup adjustments, the TT stability factor, etc, etc.
I agree. I did all of those miles listed in my last post with an Equalizer hitch and it was perfect. No swaying, no wiggles at all. Just smooth sailing with a strong truck, solid hitch setup and the P3 electric brake.

WBCCI #1199 - AIR #23847
NEU
LIFE IS GOOD
RIstream'n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Ok, I hate to open a can of worms but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot difference between a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton other than a stronger axel and heavier suspension... maybe a bigger motor. I have done a little research on the subject and by no means know everything....

But 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton are very misleading statements as all vehicles have different weight capacities within a certain class.
And some 1/2, and 3/4 tons are listed as less to avoid commercial taxes.. Plus you can put stiffer shocks, (air bags or springs etc.) to help with weight. (Maybe???) this may not be safe...

I have a 75 3/4 dodge with a 440 and air bags in the springs.. I wouldn't recommend this but I have had 4300 lbs of rock in the back and it just sat 5 inches off level.. (don't try this at home) only drove about 6 miles on back roads this way... and the bed did sway a little over 45 mph.. YIKES>>> They did know how to build them back then.....

Any way, I guess just don't go over the tongue weight, and don't pull more than your suppose to.. Use a equalizing hitch and sway bar to help cut sway and tongue weight.

If you live in the mountains you may want a bigger motor for pulling ...

I do understand some 3/4 ton frames are stronger, but I also read some are the same as 1/2 ton frames...

any thoughts... I'm still a little confused...
Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Someone advise Me are the AVALANCHE and the CAD/ ESCALADE the same truck basically? Cadies ad say it weight 8 k lbs That TRue?
Old 07-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Cad/ Escalade

They are the same vehicle although the Escalade used the 6.0 motor as the standard engine vs the 5.3 in the AV.
Old 07-28-2008, 10:49 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by koebe View Post
We are in the process of purchasing an International 27FB, anyone have any experience with an Avalanche as a TV?

Thanks
Hi Koebe,

We had a '04 Avalanche 1/2 ton, 4x4 for 3 years. Equipped with 5.3L and 3.73 rear end. We used it to haul a 21 foot bass boat on a tandem trailer. Full load was probably a little over 3000 lbs in most cases.

I would have to say the power is there, it's just that Chevy has designed this drivetrain for primarily everyday commuting. It was a very nice truck to drive empty around town. Once we hitched it up with the boat and loaded the back end full of coolers, bikes and suitcases, the suspension was soggy and the transmission was very nervous. The slightest incline on the road had the RPM's jumping and the rig jerking. It can pull, but it's a matter of how much the driver can handle. It just got to be too annoying, especially if traveling high speed freeways like I-75 from Cinci to TN. Plenty of real hills and varied traffic from 90mph in the fast lane to 45mph in the slow lane.

When we decided to buy the 25ft Intl I did not want the experience in the Avalanche. I knew it was time to upgrade. Out with the Av, in with the 2500HD Duramax.

Night and day difference.

I actually get better fuel economy on the freeway from my diesel. I was getting 20.6 mpg today on a 160 mile roundtrip from Columbus to Dayton. That's better than my Av ever did.

The Av will pull 6000 lbs, but plan on a nervous tranny and spending some dollars to upgrade the suspension.

-yakman
Old 07-29-2008, 08:24 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
When I bought my Av I was told that the 3/4 ton had some heavier duty stuff on it - brakes etc - don't know about the frame. My really like the 8.1 motor and it rides really well - I've never towed anything really big - the biggest was a 25' tradewind that was probably in the 5,000 lb range - did really well. Now I tow my 58 overlander it weighs 3400 lbs and you don't know its back there.

Ken J.
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We just got back from an 11,000+ mile trip to Alaska with our '23 AS towing with an '07 GMC 1/2 ton pickup (basically the same drive train as the Avalance...5.3L, 3.73, towing package, etc.), and had no troubles at all on the entire trip. Averaged 12.1 MPG at towing speeds up to 70MPH.

Sold the '75 23' when we got back, and just bought an '01 25' Excella, and really can't tell a whole lot of difference....it pulls it just fine with a Reese Dual Cam hitch.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:08 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Just purchased a new 08 Chevy Avalanche with 3:73 rear axle and HD towing package and have discovered that GM only includes a transmission cooler with the 4:10 rear axle.
Anybody else have this problem and what transmission cooler would you recommend having installed? Should I go aftermarket or have the dealer install a GM cooler?
Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Just purchased a new 08 Chevy Avalanche with 3:73 rear axle and HD towing package and have discovered that GM only includes a transmission cooler with the 4:10 rear axle.
Anybody else have this problem and what transmission cooler would you recommend having installed? Should I go aftermarket or have the dealer install a GM cooler?
That's odd...my '07 GMC Pickup, equipped with the towing package, has a transmission oil cooler. Wonder why they didn't put one on the '08?
Old 04-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #25
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middle of Somewhere , Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by dano View Post
Does your Av have a tranny temp gauge? My 05 Av doesn't, but I am going to replace the cluster to include it, the pre-wiring is there. I think its something you would want to have anyways, and you could do some shorter hauls to check temps before you add a cooler. The cluster replacement is a 10 minute job on the 02-07's, not sure about '08.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:45 PM   #26
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Another option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriilin View Post
Does your Av have a tranny temp gauge? My 05 Av doesn't, but I am going to replace the cluster to include it, the pre-wiring is there. I think its something you would want to have anyways, and you could do some shorter hauls to check temps before you add a cooler. The cluster replacement is a 10 minute job on the 02-07's, not sure about '08.
I used this style on our 95 Burb, worked really well, the premium version has a temp gauge included, with the advantage of an external filter and the extra capacity.....

Have you priced the IPC, a little much! It's an exchange unit, your tv may have to sit overnight while they transfer mi. to the new cluster.

Derale Automatic Transmission Filter Kits from BuyAutoTruckAccessories.com - Lowest Price Guarantee

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 09:15 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Middle of Somewhere , Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I used this style on our 95 Burb, worked really well, the premium version has a temp gauge included, with the advantage of an external filter and the extra capacity.....

Have you priced the IPC, a little much! It's an exchange unit, your tv may have to sit overnight while they transfer mi. to the new cluster.

Derale Automatic Transmission Filter Kits from BuyAutoTruckAccessories.com - Lowest Price Guarantee
I haven't ordered mine yet, but this fellow is highly regarded at the
Chevy Avalanche Fan Club forums:

GM Cluster Upgrades :: Best Price, Best Warranty, Best Service

Best part is you supply all the Info center stuff (mileage, engine hours, etc.) when you order. They program it, you pop it in and go. I think they do want your OEM one back, kinda like a rad core charge/rebuild thing. That filter kit looks good, except I would rather keep GM's built-in sensor. With the other cluster, nothing else is required for the tranny temp as the sensor and wiring is already installed, and would look cleaner than an undermount aftermarket gauge, IMO. Here's a thread for reference:

Chevy Avalanche Fan Club Transmission Temp Gauge
Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #28
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Nice options, thanks for the links!!

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote