Old 01-07-2015, 09:31 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Anyone towing with a RAM 1500?

I've been planning on buying an AS for awhile but haven't pulled the trigger yet. When I bought my last truck, a 2013 RAM 1500 I bought it with the idea of having an AS behind it.

I'm a novice and have been trying to figure out how much of a trailer I can tow. Confusing to say the least.

My RAM is a 5.7 V8, 3.55 ratio rear, 8 speed tranny, crew with Rambox. According to the tow rating I can tow a maximum of 8,150. My GCWR=14, 150, GVWR=6,800, payload=970.

I am considering a 27' FC FB Twin, unit weight=5,868, GVWR=7,600, hitch weight=791.

I know this topic seems to be beaten to death and I'm sorry to have to ask again. My question is can I tow this AS with my RAM?

And thank you in advance!

Old 01-07-2015, 10:19 PM   #2

2013 Ram 1500 V8 5.7 8 spd 3.9 axle for more than a year between FL and NY no complaints but not yet a good steep mountain test with 2014 FC 30--has Rambox and air suspension also

Old 01-07-2015, 10:25 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, are you sure of your specs? Your tongue weight will wipe out your payload.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We do, very nice towing truck with a ProPride hitch and light loads in truck and front of trailer. Our payload is 1365, rear axle also 3.55. We have traveled cross-country many times with this combo in all kinds of terrain, it is a pleasure to tow and decent on gas. When we arrive at a destination it is easy to get around.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9477_2.jpeg
Views:	128
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	229990  

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
Yes your Ram can tow.

Do you have the trailer tow package with oil cooler and integrated trailer brake?

I have those on my 2011 ram and they work well. I have the 3.91 rear end and a 5 speed automatic. I am pulling a 30 foot Flying Cloud and pulled a 25 foot Safari before that. I tow about 9000 miles per year.

You can tow a 27 with your Ram but you will probably be at your payload limit for the truck even if you are below the GCWR and Towing limits. Fuel, passengers, tongue weight, and stuff in the cab and bed of the truck add up quickly.

Your rear axle is geared a little high but the 8 speed transmission will help you overcome that. What you will notice is that you are downshifting more for grades and spending more time in the lower gears.

Plan on changing transmission fluid more frequently than you would if you did not tow.

I upgraded my shocks to Bilstein rear and KYB front. When the stock units wore out, should have done that sooner.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, are you sure of your specs? Your tongue weight will wipe out your payload.
I forgot to mention that I purchased the truck with the trailer towing package and air suspension system.

The payload is from the RAM spec sheet directly so I'm assuming it is correct.

What happens if the payload is exceeded? And how does a weight distribution hitch factor in the calculation or doesn't it?
Old 01-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
A weight distribution hitch will transfer some of the tongue weight back onto the trailer if it is setup right, max of about 1/3.

I think Ram is VERY conservative of their weight figures, but I would be most concerned about exceeding max axle weight ratings, especially rear axle.

I do have friends that tow goose neck stock trailers, normally reserved for 3/4 ton trucks, and do it fine by adding air bags to the rear coils. They've been doing it for several years between them without incident. The stock trailers even loaded are not much heavier than your Airstream would be, but are much heavier on the hitch, so I know they are going over the payload spec.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:47 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Look on your truck's door sill for the payload of your particular truck. The 970 wouldn't surprise me with the many options you have. I agree with SteveH, a good weight distribution hitch will distribute the trailer hitch weight and some truck bed load to front truck axle as well as trailer axles.

Don't exceed axle ratings (also on door sticker) or tire ratings. We weighed our Ram truck and trailer to ensure these were not over and.

Based on my experience with this truck using different w.d. hitches, I would highly recommend the ProPride or Hensley style hitch. About 75 lbs heavier than a conventional w.d. hitch, but the hitch head stays on the trailer. The towing experience is so much more pleasant in crosswinds and when semi's are passing.

Old 01-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #9
Rivet Master

A wd hitch will not increase the payload of your vehicle. The tongue weight is part of the payload and you will be technically overloaded if you want to carry gas, your wife and yourself to say nothing of the family pooch and camping equipment in the bed.
I agree with the others, your truck will safely tow your trailer if the axle ratings are not exceeded but the setup is marginal. I would consider a premium hitch and lightly loading your truck.
Where you tow is also a consideration. You will notice that you are pushing the envelope in mountain driving particularly steep curvy downhills. Going uphill, you are going to be roaring along in lower gears which you will notice at the pump.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
Going uphill, you are going to be roaring along in lower gears which you will notice at the pump.
As will all gasoline powered tow vehicles.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:21 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Your Hemi will need higher RPM's than diesel or turbo-charged engines to reach it's substantial torque potential, which is plenty to tow a 27 uphill, and normal operation. Your fuel pump and maintenance costs be will be less than large diesel engines.

Old 01-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
The only legitimate question about your Ram's ability tow a 27' Airstream is payload, and that is a consideration for most of us. And the only thing about an Airstream that affects truck payload is Airstream hitch weight, which Airstream itself warns should never exceed 1,000 lbs in its owners manual.

We had a discussion about this issue here yesterday.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f449...er-129709.html

Old 01-08-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
All day long, every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Look on your truck's door sill for the payload of your particular truck. The 970 wouldn't surprise me with the many options you have. I agree with SteveH, a good weight distribution hitch will distribute the trailer hitch weight and some truck bed load to front truck axle as well as trailer axles.

Don't exceed axle ratings (also on door sticker) or tire ratings. We weighed our Ram truck and trailer to ensure these were not over and.

Based on my experience with this truck using different w.d. hitches, I would highly recommend the ProPride or Hensley style hitch. About 75 lbs heavier than a conventional w.d. hitch, but the hitch head stays on the trailer. The towing experience is so much more pleasant in crosswinds and when semi's are passing.
What he said.

Old 01-08-2015, 11:11 AM   #14
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
Good idea to read that other thread too.

We have a 2014 Ram 1500 crew cab short bed with a max towing package and the Hemi. We do not have the air suspension. We tow a 2014 International Signature 27FB. It's a great towing experience, though we carefully manage our rig's weight. I have a few suggestions as follows:

* Assume the tongue weight of the FB will be more like 15% of the trailer's total weight. In my experience, Airstream's estimate of tongue weight was low by roughly 50%.
* Weigh the truck with a full tank of gas, the normal complement of passengers and nothing else. Then compare that to the truck's GVWR. The remaining payload will probably be smaller than specified.
* Compare the weight above to the combined GAWR for the truck to see what that difference looks like as well. Do not exceed GAWR for either truck axle when towing. (I'm assuming the tires can handle up to the GAWR...if not, re-evaluate the tires.)
* Definitely plan to use a hitch that offers WD & sway control. We could not tow without one, per the GAWR requirements. We've had a great experience with our Equal-i-zer hitch, though there are plenty of good choices in this category.
* Consider adding Airstream's Fiamma bike rack to the rear of the trailer instead of putting the bikes on the truck or inside the trailer.
* Consider very carefully whether a generator is really needed, as that will add weight.
* Hitch up the truck and trailer and adjust the WD hitch to using tape measures to ensure a proper distribution of weight to your truck axles. (eyeballs are *not* good enough).
* Load up the truck and trailer for travel and weigh as recommended in many threads across the forum (weigh the rig with WD active, weigh it again with WD inactive, then weigh the truck, and use these numbers to compute all the requisite values)
* Re-adjust the load and hitch as needed to ensure proper weight distribution and that GAWR is not exceeded for either axle on the truck. We travel with the truck bed and the trailer's forward storage compartment(s) as empty as possible except for light stuff. Inside, we don't store anything heavy in the bedroom. Heavy stuff that we pack into the trailer goes in storage locations on or slightly aft of the axles. So far, this works well for us.
* It's possible to make small mods to further reduce tongue weight if desired, such as switching to aluminum LP tanks (see vintagetrailersupply.com), and/or moving the trailer batteries to the foot of the bed(s) after swapping to AGM batteries. (We haven't done either of these yet, though they are on our list as possibilities.)
* Go have fun!

The usual small print applies: Our "n" of 1 does not represent a statistically significant sample, your results and mileage may vary, never reduce tongue weight to less than 10% of trailer weight, and so on.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags