Old 07-28-2011, 10:22 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Well, I'm glad to see someone with some experience I can ask about this. We lease an F-350 to tow our 27FB. So far, we've only done one short trip with it. I thought the truck towed the trailer just fine from Houston to Dallas, and it wasn't on freeways for the most part. We did it on backroads ( took seven hours to make what would have been four on the freeway) but it was our first time towing the trailer, and with a truck I drove for the first time that day, so we wanted to see how it handled a lot of different conditions. I was a hundred miles into it before I figured out what the electric brake setup thing was supposed to be doing.

We don't have any kind of special add-on hitch on the trailer. I keep reading here about the various weight distributing and anti-sway hitches. Some people seem to think they are absolutely vital.

But that Crew Cab F-350, long bed, SuperDuty, 6.2 Power Stroke, sat perfectly level with the trailer hitched up. We were passed by a number of 18 wheelers at 65 mph. I felt their bow wave when they went by, sure, but I wouldn't even call it a 'sway'. More like a wind ripple. We went over several sets of railroad tracks. We went over about ten miles of bad road under construction and I mean really under construction, with the road surface being plowed up and re-surfaced. At no time did I feel the slightest bit of problem or issue with the way the trailer towed.

Is your experience with the F-350 towing your 27FB similar? I guess my question is, do I really need to buy an expensive hitch? It adds weight to the tongue, and I didn't see any negative aspects of this tow configuration to justify doing that.
I had the same reasoning when I bought my F350. Why should I spend money and add tongue weight with a fancy hitch? The 2011 F series have a "anti sway" system and, indeed, a 1ton truck with a long bed does not even move when you hitch.
The only reason why I got the pro-pride hitch was:
1) I feel I have everything I need to tow my AS and my family safely.
2) I can one day try to set it up with my G55. (yes i still dream about it). :-)

ciao

Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
The F350 doesn't need wdh and sway bars. It's plenty stiff and strong. However, it will beat up the Airstream over time.

Mine was recently towed behind a 2500HD Duramax, simply on the ball (lights and brakes plugged in of course). It towed fine at 75 mph, but was it ever rough compared to my car!

FWIW, the Touareg probably has bigger brakes than a pickup, and weighs less, leaving more braking capacity to stop the trailer in an emergency.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:57 AM   #17
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
So, do the wdh and sway bars soften how an F-350 rides? As near as I could tell, unless we were going over RR tracks, the truck basically drove about the same with the trailer hooked up or not. If the truck doesn't ride any different, and the trailer is mechanically coupled to the frame of the truck, I am wondering if the upshoot is that an unloaded F350 is just basically set up too stiff in the first place to treat the AS as gently as we would like.

I wouldn't buy an F350 as a tow vehicle for this trailer. But it's the only thing I can find to lease for six weeks or more that's set up to tow, with the electric brake hook ups. We would much prefer a big old classic Cadillac convertible with a cushy ride and 400 cubic inches, but it doesn't look like anyone thinks those will do it. I'll look for smooth pavement with the F350. and go slower when I can't find it.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:45 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Not this cr@p again...

Yes, you still need "fancy hitch" for F-350/F-250 based on your trailer tounge weight.
NO - they will not screw up your trailer (F-350/F-250) because they are too stiff...

My 2011 F-350 rides just like my steel springed T-Rex & air bagged Pepper.

Please, stop the "I heard fifth hand stuff", this is how mis-information gets passed around here...
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #19
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Get Real...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
My 25FB tounge on the scales was around 912 lbs, that's with black/grey tanks empty, no water, 3/4 propane, and about 150 lbs of groceries, clothes, pots, pans, etc....
Finally, reality strikes!!! It does no good to guess, you must KNOW what the tongue weight is!

912 is a much more realistic number, our number is 1175, loaded for dock'n, full lpg & fresh, empty black/grey. You can't go by the factory numbers.
Sherline Trailer Tongue Weight Scales

"F350 doesn't need wdh hitch and sway bars".....yes it does! Any TV that has weight taken off the steering axle will benefit from a WD hitch.

F series built in anti sway....only comes into play AFTER your trailer starts to sway, it does nothing to prevent it from happening.

A W/D hitch with sway control = an added safety margin, why wouldn't you want to take advantage of that?

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 AM   #20
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Oh, I DO want to take advantage of it, if I need it. If I don't need it, why add it?

Opinion seems divided on the subject. I've read that the stock hitch is rated for 500 lbs tongue wt. I've written the leasing company and asked them if the truck we're renting is stock tow package or have they modified it. Still waiting on the answer.

And I guess that answer will tell me whether I need to add the cost, weight, and complexity of an additional hitch.

Isn't it amazing how many people survived towing trailers behind unrated cars before they knew better? I thought I had cheated the devil by sleeping up on the rear hatshelf of my parents 56. Ford most of the way from Montana to Leon County, Texas when I was five years old and the only things with shoulder belts had wings on them.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:34 AM   #21
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gringo View Post
Oh, I DO want to take advantage of it, if I need it. If I don't need it, why add it?

Isn't it amazing how many people survived towing trailers behind unrated cars before they knew better? I thought I was being daring by sleeping on the rear hatshelf of my parents 56 Ford all the way from Belle Fourche to Leon County, Texas when I was five years old.
Gringo,

I don't believe they were dealing with an 1175lb tongue weight.

Our 63 Safari was barely 575!! I know our 53 Victoria would have been able to tow it, would I want to on todays roads at 65mph.....NOT

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:54 AM   #22
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Weldon Spring , Missouri
"Not this cr@p again..." Really? How welcoming that must feel to a newer member who's simply asking legitimate questions.....maybe some of us need a little break (like Mr. "2air")?
Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmrcaptevil View Post
"Not this cr@p again..." Really? How welcoming that must feel to a newer member who's simply asking legitimate questions.....maybe some of us need a little break (like Mr. "2air")?
Hope 2Air is coming back soon. I think he is great for new members. He posted links for me on all the pertinent threads and was always straight to the point. His tutorial on the Propride Hitch was excellent.

Back to the original subject, I recently towed with an older F350 (2008) than mine. The 2011 F350 is way smoother and more comfortable. Ford made a huge improvement. This pickup is actually more comfortable than my SUV.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:13 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Actually the original subject asked if anyone towed a 27FB with a Touareg. A few very good and useful comments, not sure how F350 works into this. Would like to hear more experience and recommendations with the Touareg.

doug k
Old 07-29-2011, 11:42 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Because I most likely am one of the members here who have LOTS of experience towing with a 2005 Cayenne S, 2009 Touareg TDI and still tow with a 2011 Cayenne Turbo (but only my motorcycle and 911 car trailers)...

Yet for my Airstream - I now only tow with a F-350...

As for this "Cr@p Again" statement - we keep rehashing the same thing in this same thread and we are not even on topic....

No wonder why "2Air" has been on vacation....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:50 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
High River , Alberta
If my comments were made in ignorance, I'll take them back. My experience was having a friend tow our 1975 Overlander with a 2500HD (essentially a "1 ton"). It towed easily at speed in a crosswind, with no instability. However, it certainly rode a lot harder than the car we normally tow with, and I'm mindful of Inland Andy's comments about front separation. If I were to tow with a truck, I'd be far happier with a well set up half ton.

I should note that the old Overlander's tongue weight is probably about 600lbs the way it was loaded, not 1000 or more.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #27
one of those

2011 27 FB International
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
As for this "Cr@p Again" statement - we keep rehashing the same thing in this same thread and we are not even on topic....
actually, the 350 got brought up here as the suggested alternative to the VW and I asked some questions about hitches with the 350/27FB combo. We're gearing up for our first long trip in a brand new trailer, and the only vehicle I can lease to tow it is an F-350. Made some sense to me to ask my question to people who are stating that they tow 27FBs with F350s. Not sure where I got that incredibly stupid idea to ask a question about towing a 27FB with an F 350 here on a thread about towing 27FBs where several people have suggested using F350s. I'll try to refrain from asking questions on your threads going forward.

I guess I missed all the rehashing of the same thing over again in the same thread. Not sure how I missed it, since the thread is only two pages long. In fact, I can't find the original exchange about hitches on the 350 here in this thread, since my question was obviously the last of the many, many rehashes. I must have been distracted in my joy at finding someone who is towing a 27FB with the Ford.

Would it cause less anxiety if I started another topic asking about towing an FB27 with an F350, so that you could refer me over to this thread where I could read the initial comments on it, and then catch the hash and rehashes that I obviously missed here?
Old 08-14-2011, 04:15 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

2012 31' Classic
Naples , Florida
Timoveevich

I can't speak directly to your question, but I can tell you of my experience. So just a thought, compare your vehicle's specs to current model Toyota Sequoia. My TV is a 2008 Sequoia with a V8 5.7 liter engine producing 381hp at 5,600 rpm. The wheel base is 122 inches and length is 205 inches. GVW is 7,300 lbs. The Sequoia pulls my 2011 Flying Cloud 27FB like a dream so if your vehicle has similar specs, I should think your experience should be similar. Wish you the best.