Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2019, 07:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 27' International CCD FB
1987 25' Sovereign
1977 23' Safari
North Olmsted , Ohio
Anyone tow with the VW Atlas

Looking a more livable tow vehicle and have looked at the VW Atlas. Specs state that they can tow 5000 lbs.

Looking for comments.

blucloud
Old 04-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Vienna , VIRGINIA
I considered a Atlas for the 3rd row but undersized for towing. Consider a Jeep Grand Cherokee EcoDeisel. We just towed or 30’ Argosy to/from the Smokey Mountains or Mercedes GLS 450 if your budget allows.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by blucloud View Post
Looking a more livable tow vehicle and have looked at the VW Atlas. Specs state that they can tow 5000 lbs.

Looking for comments.

blucloud
Blucloud, what size trailer are you considering to tow with the Atlas? We had a 2016 VW Touareg Diesel and a 23’ FC23FB which was a great combination. Tow capacity was 7700#; payload was 1160#.

There was another Forum member with an Atlas but last time we exchanged messages he hadn’t towed yet.

Atlas is a fine vehicle for smaller Bambi/Sport/Basecamp/Nest but that’s about the max.

You might also consider a Cayenne, Mercedes or other larger SUV. BTW, we traded the Touareg with 5K miles on a Ram truck to pull our new 27’ Globetrotter...

Good luck with your quest!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Silver Condo III

2015 30' International
Saskatoon , Saskatchewan
Read the Owner's Manual Carefully

We looked at the VW Atlas when it first came out. Looked like a very capable vehicle for a smaller Airstream. However, I got a hold of the owner's manual and it stated that you cannot use a weight-distributing hitch with the Atlas. Wrote that vehicle off the list
Old 04-25-2019, 11:30 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
I am towing with an Atlas, v6 4motion. The power and transmission are fantastic, but definitely stay below the 500 lbs tongue weight. I do not believe the rear suspension is happy if you are close. Recommend a 16’ Sport (I have the 22’), Nest, or Basecamp. It would pull those like a champ.
Prettygood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca View Post
We looked at the VW Atlas when it first came out. Looked like a very capable vehicle for a smaller Airstream. However, I got a hold of the owner's manual and it stated that you cannot use a weight-distributing hitch with the Atlas. Wrote that vehicle off the list
You are correct - and will find the same in most German manufacturers. Weight distribution hitches are not allowed in Europe (interesting story) so that’s a carryover from VW on the Atlas. It’s not that the vehicles are not capable, it’s the European law.

Check out Can Am’s site about towing tips or give them a call. Andy has set up many vehicles that you wouldn’t guess we’re capable of towing. He’s a frequent contributor to these Forums too.

https://www.canamrv.ca/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0553BB32-2F1B-4DA5-A680-AF79194DC248.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	178.5 KB
ID:	339118  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 09:28 AM   #7
Jackson the Airstream

2020 30' Classic
Aurora , Ontario
We have been using the Mercedes ML, diesel, Andy at Can-Am fitted it out for us with our 27’ Pendleton and it tows really well. Just got back from Nashville and Asheville and towing through the Smoky’s And along and through the Blue Ridge was perfect!
Philandsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:46 AM   #8
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmc306 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadeca

You are correct - and will find the same in most German manufacturers. Weight distribution hitches are not allowed in Europe (interesting story) so that’s a carryover from VW on the Atlas. It’s not that the vehicles are not capable, it’s the European law.

Check out Can Am’s site about towing tips or give them a call. Andy has set up many vehicles that you wouldn’t guess we’re capable of towing. He’s a frequent contributor to these Forums too.

https://www.canamrv.ca/

Yes - & that's the same on the VW Touareg, Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, MBZ ML/GLE/GS, & BMW X5 (maybe not, since their built in SC), etc. from EuroLand.

The truth is it was 1960's European & UK protectionism laws lobbied for & primarily to protect their own home lightweight trailer manufacturers businesses. AS had to establish lighter weight models for the UK/Europe as a result. If the USA invented WD hitches were allowed in UK/Europe, they feared it would allow the heavier & prolific USA trailers to run their own mfgrs out of business. Their laws have remained, despite it not being a safety problem, nor competitive problem either.

However - if you look at the rating sticker on most/all of those SUVs factory hitches, they will give both non-distributed & weight distributed ratings applicable to the USA & Canada, & probably anywhere else outside of the UK & Europe. DEaler service depts. should also have the correct ratings for both in their service manuals &/or bulletins - IF they'll look them up for you (easier to look on the hitch sticker IMHO).

Blucloud - you might get more responses if you post the question in the Cayenne/Touareg/Q7 topic at the link below, because most of the folks towing with those & other non-USA TVs are active on there.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...rs-134917.html

Atlas is essentially a 3 row follow-on to VW's Touareg, so it makes sense that you'll find Atlas owners on there too.

I agree on the Atlas 5000/500 lbs limits & smaller AS trailers, since the Atlas seems to be aimed more at the Van/SUV family hauler role - than to towing.

I don't know how well it would do with your `07 27' being the heavier new age AS, but the classic `87 25' & vintage `77 23' may be okay since AS's were made much lighter back then - anywhere from 40-60% lighter due to not using particle board, heavier plywood/veneers (instead of the old school light marine plywood/veneers), larger tanks, options, etc.

They both might be in the same 3500-4500 lbs dry/empty as a newer THOR built 16' & 22' Bambi Sport - but you should weight them all wet/loaded as you would go out to know both HW & total trailer wt. - vs. the Atlas ratings.

For your comparison - our vintage kin 1960 Avion T20 (21'-6" & 2680 lbs & 285 lbs HW empty/dry) is about 3000-3500 lbs wet/loaded & 542# HW (runs heavier due to 160# Hensley Cub + 2x 30# LP tanks on A-frame).

Others have run all of the Euro-SUVs with WD/AS hitches, so using one on an Atlas shouldn't be a problem either.

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:20 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
One major consideration that folks unfamiliar with VW wouldn’t know is that the VW Atlas is made on the MQB platform. This is a modular platform that underpins the majority of the vehicles now, including the Golf. The Atlas frame is not the same as the Touareg or Q7 at all, and the suspension shares more with the hatchback than the off-road focused Touareg (initially positioned against Range Rover for off road capability. I sold them at launch, and can vouch that they were beasts with proper tires on).

Regarding the “no WD hitch” rule, history is I’m sure accurate, but frame strength to handle the torque would also not be an engineering criteria for the Atlas. VWVortex.com is the leading VW forum, you can check there.

If larger trailer, look at the Touareg or Q7. If smaller trailer (well under 5k and 500lb tongue weight), the Atlas is a great choice.
Old 04-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
My combo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B83CF220-AF0E-4F1E-8AD0-D389AD0F8B08.jpg
Views:	1008
Size:	398.4 KB
ID:	339131  
Old 04-26-2019, 11:17 PM   #11
Tom T

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prettygood View Post
One major consideration that folks unfamiliar with VW wouldn’t know is that the VW Atlas is made on the MQB platform. This is a modular platform that underpins the majority of the vehicles now, including the Golf. The Atlas frame is not the same as the Touareg or Q7 at all, and the suspension shares more with the hatchback than the off-road focused Touareg (initially positioned against Range Rover for off road capability. I sold them at launch, and can vouch that they were beasts with proper tires on).

Regarding the “no WD hitch” rule, history is I’m sure accurate, but frame strength to handle the torque would also not be an engineering criteria for the Atlas. VWVortex.com is the leading VW forum, you can check there.

If larger trailer, look at the Touareg or Q7. If smaller trailer (well under 5k and 500lb tongue weight), the Atlas is a great choice.

PG -

I was familiar that they went to the MQB architecture - and disappointed, since it leaves most trailer folks out in the cold.

Not to mention the lack of off-road capabilities beyond a tad, & total lack of any diesels after their screw-up, and lack of V8s.

VW isn't alone in going to kid-hauler Van-like/Wagon-like SUVs - as it's now the same from all 3 of VW, Audi & Porsche, as well as BMW & MBZ.

Your 22' BS & Atlas looks like a nice set-up - but how is it on any of our surrounding mountain roads & say the grades between SD & OC?

I was disappointed with the 2013 Nissan Pathfinder with the 4.0L V6 & AT rated for 7000 lbs & 700 or more HW towing our 3000-3500 lb wet/loaded 1960 Avion T20 (21'-6" L x 8'-9" W x 9''6" H) - which is much lighter than your AS 22 BS at 4500 dry/empty - that we also looked at the 16' & 22' BS models in 2012 before deciding to go Vintage for the vintage rallies etc.

So how did your Atlas do?

Cheers!
Tom
///////
1960 Avion T20, #2 made, Hensley Cub, TV tbd- looking for 08-22 Cayenne S, EH, etc
1988 VW Vanagon Westfalia CamperGL (Orig Owner) + 1970 Eriba Puck
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 01:05 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Tom,

The power from the engine and the transmission make a great combo. The grade coming up to San Clemente on I-5 southbound was no problem at all. Overall I’m happy with the capability of the Atlas, but know that I’m the upper limits with a 22’ Sport. Anything smaller/lighter and it would be super easy. It is a family hauler first, but one that has enough to do small trailer duty well.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:43 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Mercedes and Porsche rate their towing capacities with and without WDHs. Ours did. I think Audi, and I'm pretty sure Range Rover, do also.

I'm not sure why an MQB chassis would be inferior - one of its advantages is chassis strength and stiffness.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:50 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Mikapen,
The strength and stiffness as they relate to driving dynamics are great, and plenty sufficient for the Atlas. What I was suggesting is that tow capacity was not a design criteria of the platform, so the effect was VW not being able to match the tow ratings of the Touareg family, which was initially designed to compete with the Range Rover, and that did include tow capacity as an engineering criteria. I’ll be towing again on Friday with the air bags installed and will report back if that makes any difference. Thanks
Old 05-06-2019, 11:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Southern , Colorado
Thanks I'll be looking for your report. Your Atlas ought to be a nice tow vehicle.
I like the MQB in general, and the MLB for longitudinal engines. We've had both, and although we've never towed with either, I'd expect them to be great. Within their payload and axle ratings.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:30 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Quick update... took a trip to Laguna Mountain and the Atlas did fantastic. 6k’ elevation and no hint of struggle. I did install the airbag helpers in the coil springs, not sure I needed that in the end. Full support for this as a tow vehicle for trailers under 5k lbs. and 500 lbs. tongue weight.
Old 09-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Big summer trip is complete: 1,500 miles from San Diego to Grand Canyon to Zion and home. Atlas pulled so well across the high passes, and I averaged over 14 mpg. Braking was completely confident, and never saw the temp climb even though a/c was running and it was often 95-105* outside. Fully recommend for a TV at the sub-5k weight class.
Old 09-08-2019, 06:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2018 28' International
Fayetteville , Georgia
The biggest challenge with many potential TV is payload. Hitch weight and passengers can eat up available payload very quickly.
brick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:03 PM   #19
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
When someone rear ended our SUV, we were given a rental Atlas for two weeks. The seats were very uncomfortable—not just to our old butts, but to the young guy from the rental company who picked us up. Also, VW usually has poor reliability ratings from CR. It did have a lot of power and always shuts off when stopped for a light or traffic. Kind of disconcerting, but apparently soon standard on all vehicles.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2019 22' Sport
Carlsbad , California
Brick, I’m well within payload since the hitch weight is under 500 lbs.

Gene, the seats in out SEL Premium model are fantastic. I used the ventilation function throughout the drive.