Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2017, 12:14 AM   #1

2017 23' International
High Point , North Carolina
Anyone out there towing with a Lexus GX 460?

My husband and I purchased a 2017 Lexus GX 460 Sport to tow our 2017 Airstream 23FB Serenity. The recommended Reese anti sway system was installed and on the first road trip my husband experienced a “near miss” at less than 50 mph with the Airstream swerving out of control entering lanes to either side with so much violent movement all doors opened emptying silverware and other items onto the floor and dislodging the pantry shelves. We returned to the camping dealership and have tried every hitch adjustment they can think of and test drives have repeatedly reproduced an unstable Airstream with sway which seems to be worse at around 52 MPH. The dealership implicates the Lexus as the problem suggesting the vehicle which has anti sway is adding to the problem. All agree the present setup is dangerous and not drivable. We plan consulting both Lexus and Airstream about the problem. If anyone has ideas or thoughts or experiences we would be grateful for your input.
DH
Debbie Haime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We towed with an older GX if I recall it was a 2007. We had a 25' Airstream. I used an Equalizer hitch set up and although we did not tow very far I don't recall any adverse handling, just under powered for me. I'd check the set up on the Reese cam and make sure the set up is correct and the ball height is as it should be for a level ride. The Lexus has an auto leveling system, which may have come into play as well as the anti sway feature, both of which on our older Lexus could be shut off, but had to be done each time the vehicle was started.

Best of luck.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 07:22 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I've towed with similar sized vehicles (ML500, Durango) using Reese Dual Cam. Yours ought to work. Something is not set up correctly.

Consulting with Andy at Can-am would be a wise investment.
Old 04-03-2018, 07:21 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
petoskey , Michigan
Debbie,

My first day as a new forum member and I stumbled on your post. I have a 2018 GX-460 and am looking to purchase an Airstream 23FB. Did you solve your towing problem? Any advice?? Thanks in advance
airstreamder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:35 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamder View Post
Debbie,

My first day as a new forum member and I stumbled on your post. I have a 2018 GX-460 and am looking to purchase an Airstream 23FB. Did you solve your towing problem? Any advice?? Thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum! I am not sure if Debbie will see your post in this thread from last fall, so I have quoted her original post below. Hopefully this site will send her an email that she has been quoted [if her user settings permit]. Her post indicates that she has only posted once here, so she may no longer participate, given the difficulty she was having.

The new search function powered by Google, in the blue box above, works great FYI. Here are results for "Lexus GX 460" showing a number of other threads/posts to check out:

https://www.google.com/search?ei=2ir....0.fS-_gvbJZcc

If you have questions for any of the folks who posted in those threads, it may help to Quote them [see button below] to get their attention to your new post.

Good luck!

Peter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie Haime View Post
My husband and I purchased a 2017 Lexus GX 460 Sport to tow our 2017 Airstream 23FB Serenity. The recommended Reese anti sway system was installed and on the first road trip my husband experienced a “near miss” at less than 50 mph with the Airstream swerving out of control entering lanes to either side with so much violent movement all doors opened emptying silverware and other items onto the floor and dislodging the pantry shelves. We returned to the camping dealership and have tried every hitch adjustment they can think of and test drives have repeatedly reproduced an unstable Airstream with sway which seems to be worse at around 52 MPH. The dealership implicates the Lexus as the problem suggesting the vehicle which has anti sway is adding to the problem. All agree the present setup is dangerous and not drivable. We plan consulting both Lexus and Airstream about the problem. If anyone has ideas or thoughts or experiences we would be grateful for your input.
DH
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:06 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Debbie, -- snip -- Did you solve your towing problem? -- snip --
Send the OP a PM. Follow the suggestion to contact CanAm. Good Luck. Pat

Huston, we may have a problem. Debbie seems to have only posted once.
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Debbie,

Welcome to the forums.
I have to recommend against that particular combination.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:49 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
petoskey , Michigan
Why the negative recommendation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Welcome to the forums.
I have to recommend against that particular combination.
The max tow capacity of GX 460 is 6500 lbs which seems to be well below the GVWR of 6000 lbs for the FC 23FB. Brand new to forum so sorry if I am not up to speed on forum-etiquette
Old 04-04-2018, 11:10 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
In answer to your PM, you have to bookmark [add to Favorites, etc.] this page in your browser [Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox etc.] to get here again. Not sure if this site has a method for bookmarking pages here.

If you remember which forum you posted in, you can peruse the "Forums" page [tab above], which has most of the major sub-forums listed:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/

. . . and look for your post that way.

If you have further site questions, the Forum Admin sub-forum has helpful hints and threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f138/

Cheers,

Peter
Old 04-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
A few threads on the 460. The last one has Andy's post. Read them all! Pat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-a-102667.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...le-142582.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...so-157196.html
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...-145812-2.html
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:33 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
petoskey , Michigan
Thanks to all that replied. I have sent PMs and am awaiting reply. I also sent a PM to CanAm.
Old 04-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
When a trailer weight gets you close to the GCVWR of the tow vehicle the risk of sway is much greater especially above 50 MPH.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:52 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
Several things.

The GX460 has a relatively short wheelbase, with relatively long rear overhang, and soft suspension meant for ride quality and to articulate off-road. It also has KDSS which relaxes the sway bar in straight ahead driving. All not particularly helpful for towing a load.

That said, the GX460 is capable.

1) You'll want to hitch ball to be as close to the rear bumper as possibly. Which may mean visiting a machine shop to shorten the stinger shank.
2) May want to swap in LT tires, for additional sidewall stability
3) If you have auto leveling, you'll want to make sure weight distribution is setup after the auto leveling system has brought it up to the right height
4) May want to check out a virtual pivot point type hitch (i.e. propride)
5) Make sure you have enough tongue weight in the trailer. That is, don't load gear and bags behind the rear axle of the trailer.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
The GX, also known as the Prado oversees, is a well respected tow vehicle for the bush. It's capable, but needs to be setup correctly on account of it's off-road specializations.

This is how they use them in Australia to tow caravans:
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 12:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Gotta love the Aussies !!!
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
@ 1:15