Old 05-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone out there running MagHytec

I just got a deep pan for my 4l80e and was thinking later on to pick up the differential cover at some point.

Anyone else running MagHytec gear? Any observations, exp with it? Looking forward to installing it this week. The trans pan adds about 4.5 quarts!

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari
Anaheim , California
I installed the double deep trans pan on my '07 Dodge 2500 about 4 weeks ago with the anticipation of lower trans temps. Sorry to report no large drops in temps, but I still feel better about having the additional fluid capacity and the easy fluid changes that having a drain plug will allow. Given the chance to do it over, I'd still install the pan.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:56 AM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnco View Post
I installed the double deep trans pan on my '07 Dodge 2500 about 4 weeks ago with the anticipation of lower trans temps. Sorry to report no large drops in temps, but I still feel better about having the additional fluid capacity and the easy fluid changes that having a drain plug will allow. Given the chance to do it over, I'd still install the pan.
Thanks for the info Johnco. Having placed a deeper pan cover on my sedan when I towed, my exp was similar to yours. What I did find is that flash heat was dramatically reduced and that pan was only 2 extra quarts. This adds 2.5 beyond that.

It is an impressive looking pan. Can you say Tim Allen? Arrr, arrr, arrr.....
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #4
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Just got the thing in yesterday. All I can say is WOW!

It was a major PITA to get in. Removal of the trans cross beam, trans cross beam mount (not removed, but loosened considerably)....was a very tight fit, but no clearance issues with the cross beam upon reinstall and no leaks. I did have to bend very slightly the corner of the exhaust heat shield, and slightly relocate the gear select cable (by relocate, I mean bend it way slightly with a screwdriver as it was a bit too close to the pan for my comfort and I couldn't get the pan in without moving it slightly).

Being the first time and never have done this kind of surgery it took about 7 hours (including breaks). To compare swapping out the Impala's trans pan was about 2 hours as there are no obstructions to taking the pan out. One thing that completely drives me crazy is that GM with it's infinite wisdom and resources neglects to put drain plugs on their pans, which of course anyone who what been under a vehicle taking a trans pan with about a half gallon or so of oil in it, knows what kind of fun that can be. Now, the truck has a pan plug, though I don't anticipate needing to get to the filter for a replacement for a while.

Results:

On drive in near 80 degree temps (not towing) trans temp was very slow to creep up to the 150-160 average summer driving temp. Still have the front grille removed and may in fact install a bit more robust trans cooler as the factory cooler, though it works, is really a small cooler, I mean REALLY small. I'd have thought that a truck that has a near 5 ton tow rating would have had a bit more robust trans cooler. I seem to recall the coolers in the mid to late 90s GM trucks has what looked like a stacked plate cooler that was about 6-7" tall. This cooler is 4 3/4" tall, 3/4" deep and what seems to be a somewhat standard 11" wide. It does throw off a good deal of heat, but like many, the question of how we get to near 200 degrees, at 200 degree and beyond 200 degrees seem pretty obvious to me having spent the day working on the truck. I am going to see if I can squeeze a B & M Super Cooler in there that is 8" tall by 1.5" deep, by 11" wide. B & M claims the cooler will dissipate 20,500BTUs. Clearly more than stock.

Right now as it is, the factory cooler has about 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 inches of exposed airflow when moving. That seems like a fairly small surface area. The fan from the engine does pull some heat off it, even at idle, but I think I can do a bit better with about 5" of surface area exposed and still get the factory cooling fan to draw from a larger surface area.

I may try to get some pics out here. Didn't get many photo ops yesterday as it was action packed.....oh and yes, the tranny now runs Amsoil synthetic ATF.
Old 05-09-2009, 08:38 AM   #5
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
One thing that completely drives me crazy is that GM with it's infinite wisdom and resources neglects to put drain plugs on their pans, which of course anyone who what been under a vehicle taking a trans pan with about a half gallon or so of oil in it, knows what kind of fun that can be. Now, the truck has a pan plug, though I don't anticipate needing to get to the filter for a replacement for a while.
Eric, the factory pan on the 4L80E in my '02 Silverado has a drain plug in the pan. Maybe the plug was omitted in later models to save money. And yes, when I removed the pan to replace the filter, it was a huge PITA, took me nearly an hour and a half to move exhaust shields, and remove and replace the shift linkage (and I are a perfessional). A thing that I like about the Ford transmission is they have a drain plug in the torque converter, you can remove 98% of the fluid by taking out the drain plugs.
Old 05-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Silvertwinkie,
You mention why doesn't GM put a drain plug in the pan.
It's kind of funny because I looked at your Avatar and it says,"frozen Tundra" I thought you had a Toyota.
I'm still laughing at myself for that one.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #7
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Silvertwinkie,
You mention why doesn't GM put a drain plug in the pan.
It's kind of funny because I looked at your Avatar and it says,"frozen Tundra" I thought you had a Toyota.
I'm still laughing at myself for that one.

Took a peek under me pops Silverado 2500...he's got a plug too. I feel cheated.

I ordered the upgraded trans cooler and associated parts today. After doing a bit of research, I found that there is a very good chance I can use the factory pipes and may only have to fabricate a bracket or two. Maybe I shoulda made this thread keeping my tranny cool.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:19 PM   #8
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Don't forget a filter downstream of the aux. cooler. I used, and recommend, MAGNEFINE. The in-trans "filter" can be left alone afterwards and never changed again. It isn't much more than a piece of mesh anyways.

Magnefine--Your Source For Magnefine Inline Filters

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote