Old 09-06-2007, 05:20 AM   #15
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
You're welcome. If you need a hand wiring the Oddity for lights/brake controllers, and can get to the West coast of fl, let me know, and I'll be happy to give you a hand.

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
I agree that we on this forum like to recommend the biggest baddest tow vehicle available. I would venture a guess if this post started out as what tow vehicle would you recommend? the answers would come in: get a Cummings, or a 350 or Silverado. We just returned from a 3000 mile trip and saw many trailers being pulled by minivans passing us on the highways. We met quite a few in the RV parks with the same set ups. During my time as a volunteer camp host I saw numerous mini vans pulling trailers with no complaints. I think it is time that we start to reconsider our answers especially with the current gas price increases which appear to be permanent. If our hobby is to survive the tow vehicle must become more economical. Airstream does their part by building a aerodynamic, lighter weight trailer. What I have seen on the roads were all SOB's. Why not trust the manufactures of the vehicle?

Chaplain Kent
1994 30' Excella 1000, Chummy III- Ford Excursion- 7.3 Turbo-diesel
Chaplain Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:20 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member
I used to tow my 26-foot Overlander with a plain-Jane 150-hp Ford sedan, a simple EazLift weight distributing hitch, a basic single sway bar...all without problems.

You don't need the muscletrucks to get the job done. But, as with every hobby, the enthusiasts make it seem as though you need the biggest, baddest, overpowered, overengineered solutions to every problem.

It's almost neurotic.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:30 AM   #18

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Well I towed a 28' aluminum framed SOB with my 91' Astro EXT van. The SOB was well within its towing capacity since this Astro was rated for 6,000 lbs., with a premium gas V6 and a 4.10 rear axle. I had a Reese Dual-Cam sway control on it, but the Astro was hopelessly mismatched when dealing in wind conditions. That trailer for all intents was a giant sail, and while I didn't have any sway situations, the mass of that trailer made me work hard while driving to keep the entire vehicle centered on the road. After one season I knew that I had to move on, and I traded for a full sized Chevy van. I only picked up 500 lbs more towing capacity but the difference was night and day.

With no cross winds and no passing trucks the Astro and SOB were just fine. Add either or both, and you had your work cut out for you. Those of us who have been there can stand behind those who caution against smaller vehicles and larger trailers.

Obviously Airstreams exhibit handling characteristics that make them a joy to tow compared to a square sided SOB. Again the difference with that same big Chevy van when I moved from the SOB to the Airstream was quite noticable.

Jack Canavera
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1967 28' Ambassador
1963 19' Globetrotter
1970 29' Ambassador
Waukesha , Wisconsin
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think on this forum sometimes people don't consider the size of the trailer, and insist on the biggest, baddest tow vehicle.
Like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	towvehicle.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	44500  
Steve & the crew
'70 Ambassador International Twin
'63 19' Globetrotter TAC WI-1
byamcaravanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 10:00 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
That's big and bad enough for most any AS I can think of!

Another important thing to consider is matching the trailer and the tow vehicle. A stiff tow vehicle might actually damage the trailer if it's setup for a 800# tounge weight and you've got a caravel with a 250# tounge. It can shake the rivets right out of it.

I have an E150 full sized van and after two years of towing with WD hitch, I switched to towing on the ball with a friction sway control. The WD hitch kept the trailer very stiff and it actually lost a few rivets from the front panel there by the tounge. It was too stiff! I quit using the bars and now the trailer is free to bob gently along behind us. There was no change in how the trailer behaved, and we have never felt sway or any effect from semis or wind.

So I think it's important to match the vehicle and the trailer. Bigger isn't always better. Our truck is probably a little too big for our trailer, but it's also our work van, and we wanted something that could work for both.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:43 PM   #21
69 Caravel
1969 18' Caravel
Salmon Arm , BC
Odyssey & Caravel

18' 69 Caravel with 99 Honda Odyssey. I have been towing this trailer all summer. The issues I have encountered are:

Check the sidewall stifness of your tires. I notice my tires wearing out very quickly with the extra weight of the trailer. Once the new tires were installed everything is much better. I run airbags in the back of the Odyssey and a Reese Straight line hitch. I have yet to encounter any sway or braking issues. I also have a Tekonsha P3 controller which does a very good job for us. I am also running synthetic oil in the trany along with the cooler.

We live in BC Canada and have done many mountain roads. Good luck with your trailer hunt!
G-STREAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master
1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
We're towing a 1978 24' Argosy with a 2000 Safari (GM's version of the Astro). The van has the tow package and 3.7 gearing. We're right at about 80% of the rated tow capacity. It does the job but I'd describe it as marginal. I've towed the same trailer with a Chevy Tahoe which isn't a HD truck by any means but it's small V8 is night and day better than the V6 in the Safari. Although TV weight and wheelbase aren't all that different the Tahoe just feels more solid. Which is interesting since the Tahoe has coil springs and the Safari has leaf springs.

bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote