Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2007, 08:16 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Laguna Hills , California
Anybody pull with stock Ford 7.3L Powerstroke diesel?

I've worked hard to keep my 2003 Ford Diesel truck in tip top condition and most important it's paid for. I was wondering if any of you out there in Airstream land pull with with a stock 7.3L Powerstroke? Do you have any words of wisdom to share?
JBCrete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:46 PM   #2
USN/LAPD Retired

2005 25' Safari
North Las Vegas , United States
First of all,
Welcome aboard JBCete2

First of all, you've make the right choice deciding to purchase an AS.
There is a question you need to let us know the answers to:

1: How big of a trailer are you currently looking for?

With a 7.3L diesel, you're almost able to tow anything AS can throw at you.
I pull with a 6.7L Cummings the 25 ft AS Safari. It's as if there is nothing back there.
If your looking for a 28 or larger you still shouldn't have any issues with towing providing that you hook up with the right gear.

R/
Safari-Rick

"Better to have more then you need, then need more then you have because you don't have enough!"
AIR #: 8129
Safari-Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
We tow a 34 with our bone-stock 2002 7.3L Powerstroke. No sweat.
Old 07-29-2007, 09:23 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Laguna Hills , California
I want to pull a 31' classic.....
JBCrete2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:34 AM   #5
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Hi JBC2, and welcome to the forum.

I pull my 28 foot classic 35,000 miles a year with a 1998 E350 7.3td, which has 210,000 miles on it.

No sweat!

Enjoy,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:36 AM   #6
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I pull my 25' Safari with a '99 F250 7.3 4X2. Pulls just fine. This truck has been very reliable and economical over it's 110,000 miles. If I keep the speed at 60, I get nearly 15 mpg over flat land.

These late 7.3s turned out to be some of the most reliable diesel pickups built by any mfg.

My only suggestion is to watch the fuel gauge and stop before it becomes an emergency. A big pickup pulling a 30'+ trailer is a handfull in some smaller urban fuel stations. Watch for larger newer stations designed for larger vehicles.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:31 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCrete2
I've worked hard to keep my 2003 Ford Diesel truck in tip top condition and most important it's paid for. I was wondering if any of you out there in Airstream land pull with with a stock 7.3L Powerstroke? Do you have any words of wisdom to share?
We sure do - and love it. 2002 7.3 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat. Clean fuel and air filters are a must with the regular changing of oil an filter - buy fuel from a station that sells lots of diesel. You have a great truck that will last a long time.

Mike
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 10:57 AM   #8
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCrete2
JBCrete,
Welcome to the forums

You can pull anything Airstream makes. I have an first Generation PSD and it rocks. I routinely pull my FIL's backhoe on a goose neck trailer with mine. I am guessing a trailer weight in the 25k# range Other than the already given advice to keep the fluids and filters clean, I would make sure your receiver hitch is a Class V. Unfortunately I was unable to find one for my 96 it had already been discontinued when I got the truck in 2005 so I had to go with a Class IV which means I do have to be careful with what I hook up to that hitch. Another thing that comes to mind, if you go with a lighter unit or possibly a vintage unit the truck suspension may be a bit "rough" on the trailer. If that is the case I would suggest an air ride hitch of some type. Both of my trailers are in restoration mode at the moment and only get towed far enough to mow the grass However if I was running the roads with them, I would feel much better having the cushioned by the AirSafe Hitch.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Dunlap , Illinois
Towing with a stock 7.3

The best advice you should heed is to keep it stock! Chips that increase torque and horsepower shorten engine and transmission life. Also it would be good to get accurate transmission and exhaust temperature gauges and monitor them on long uphill grades. Downshift or slow down when temperatures climb too far.There is a convenient plug to remove on the left side of the transmission for that source. It gives you the temperature of oil for clutch engagement and lubrication. Install the exhaust probe after the turbo and get the gauge for that location. I have seen too many turbos ruined by a probe that broke off and went through the hot wheel. You don't need a boost gauge. You can get a pillar mount for the gauges that will be a perfect match for your interior trim and make it look like a factory installation.

Limit your towing speed to 55 to 60 mph. If you are on flat terrain you can tow in overdrive with the speed control on. This will run your engine in the 1700 to 1800 rpm range which is the sweet spot, giving you the best mileage. At the first sign of a grade, turn off the speed control. If the transmission downshifts out of overdrive with the speed control on, the engine will accelerate to full speed just as the transmission is trying to engage the clutch for the next lower speed. This can be very hard on the clutch. It is actually best to not drive with the speed control on. Educate your accelerator foot to be your speed control for top speed, yet take a run at approaching hills to keep the overdrive from downshifting. In hilly terrain take it out of overdrive.

I, too yearned for a cushion hitch. When I got past the sales hype at the Air ride hitch and talked to the engineer that is responsible for its design I found that they don't want you to use much load leveling. It will destroy their hitch. So much for that.

Saddletramp
Saddletramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:23 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Norbert (forum username) does and I believe he is very pleased with it. He tows a 30' or a bit larger Airstream.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:30 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
I pulled a large gooseneck horse trailer for years with a 7.3 psd. Now pull a 30' '07 Classic with the 2007 6.0l psd...no problems. As others have said...keep it stock!

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
Exclamation pulling with a 4.6

I have a 25 foot 99 safari that I bought new. I pull it with a 98 f-150 with a 4.6 gas motor. I pull it with a Hensley-arrow hitch . I always put mobile 1 in the motor. I have made many trips to Florida and Texas from MI. . I have 148000 miles on the truck and have never had a single motor problem, I've driven my rig thru the mts. of West Virgina and MO.Tenn,Actually this tows so beautifully that my wife who is a better driver than me drives 90%of the time. I don't understand why with a Hensley and a v-8 Ford you need a very expensive diesel.
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:56 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Nice TV, JBCrete2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mi silver
I have a 25 foot 99 safari that I bought new. I pull it with a 98 f-150 with a 4.6 gas motor. I pull it with a Hensley-arrow hitch . I always put mobile 1 in the motor. I have made many trips to Florida and Texas from MI. . I have 148000 miles on the truck and have never had a single motor problem, I've driven my rig thru the mts. of West Virgina and MO.Tenn,Actually this tows so beautifully that my wife who is a better driver than me drives 90%of the time. I don't understand why with a Hensley and a v-8 Ford you need a very expensive diesel.
The point is, he already owns the diesel. I would not hesitate to cross the country with my F150 puling my 24’ Trade Wind. Not so with my 34’ Excella. I am evaluating an upgrade to a ¾ ton, but my 2000 F150 is paid for too. Also has brand new brakes and tires, so it will be a while.

Best of luck in your search, JBCrete2. Be sure and check the classifieds here. It’s where I found my “new” 1983 Excella. I love the 34’ trailer after years in the 24.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:42 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
We pull with a 7.3 not turbo or power-stroke. We never had any problems pulling our 34.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Welcome in!

Lots of things in here for you to enjoy.

Also there are lots of Forum Rallies here in Ca. and you are invited to everyone of them.

Here's a list of shortcomings a 7.3 has in regards to towing an Airstream.

Well that was all of them.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 11:29 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

I have the AirSafe airride hitch to keep my trailer from taking a beating from my F250's rugged suspension. It's a wonderful device that allows the trailer to roll over rough highways without being jerked around by the truck.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote