Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-25-2007, 04:51 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Send a message via Yahoo to yukionna
The easy part is over with (i.e., paying for it and getting it home). Now the real work begins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	During transport.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	33040  

Attitude is the only difference between ordeal and adventure
yukionna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

I'm just home (Feb 25 night)from the Florida State Rally and we successfully pulled our 63 Globetrotter with our 63 Burb about 1100 miles. Its very much like yours. It was a 6, but now has a 305CI V8 and a 350 transmission. We bought it a year ago and it had already been repainted on the outside. I have replaced the suspension and steering with all new parts and partly painted the interior. Plans for it include a new front windshield, complete the interior and swap the engine/transmission to a 5.3 L and 4L60 tranny.

I like LMC for parts that they have. Their web site is easy to order from, good price and quick delivery. They don't have a 60-66 Suburban catalog but do have a 60-66 pickup catalog. Steele is the best source for quality rubber parts. Brothers has some of the Suburban unique parts. So far I have been able to find everything I have needed.

My 2 favorite Chevy web forums are:

Forum Index - The Forums at ChevyTalk - Powered by FusionBB and
The Stovebolt Page Forums

Both have Suburban or 60-66 threads and are fairly active. All my questions have been answered by these guys.

I'll be glad to answer any questions if you need anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fsrbound.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	33043  
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Wow, Herb, that is one sweet looking combination of trailer and TV. I like your two toned color combination. Do you happen to know what the factory options were for paint choices back in 1964?

We will probably have more questions once we get into the restoration. Thanks for the additional forum links.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:25 PM   #44
2 Rivet Member

Re: Burbs

Hello, Try this site they have a lot of things going on

67-72chevytrucks.com

I sent this a few days ago but must not have went
thru. hope it works this time

ODD
Old 02-27-2007, 06:57 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

There's a data plate on my 63 on the kick panel that has the color code. I couldn't find the list of color codes tonight though. Also most of my literature is for the 63. I did find a 64 color chip chart. See below. Also I am including a link to a 64 carryall brochure.

64 Brochure :

1960-1966 suburban / carryall and panel trucks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chevytruckcolor64.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	33141   Click image for larger version

Name:	chevytruckcolor64b.JPG
Views:	230
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	33142  

Old 02-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbond
I did find a 64 color chip chart.
Thanks for the color chart. Do you know how the color options worked with regards to one color vs. two? For example, if I wanted a two-color combination, like the blue and white color combination shown on the first page of the brochure, how do I know which colors were offered for the two-color combo? Were there restrictions on what the two color choices were? Were their restrictions on which colors could be chosen for the top half and which colors for the bottom half?

Thanks for the link to the brochure. I also received a pristine copy of that brochure as part of the sale of the Suburban.

Old 02-28-2007, 06:17 PM   #47
4 Rivet Member

I think all the tutones were one of the colors on the chart and the white (or ivory). The top was white and the color split was probably like what's in the brochure. The color split line changes each year in the early 60s. Of course you an do what you like now. Mine is different as white should be on the top with the split line at the bottom of the windows.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:05 PM   #48
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Yukiona

Any update on the Suburban? It would appear that there are more and more folks using or building these great vehicles for their TV. There was a late 50's 4WD version for sale a few weeks back and it was gone in a few days. Also saw a '64, heavily modified and done up more for show than for use as a TV, up for grabs and it appeared on once and was gone so I suppose it also sold.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Yes, there are updates. We are in the process of assessing the condition of the truck and will be starting work in earnest after the International Rally. (Right now, we are focused on finishing up our Bambi II restoration for the upcoming Perry trip.)

We picked up a parts truck last month which will provide us with a hood, 327 engine, windshield wipers, full gauge cluster, rear end (axle & differential) and more (still assessing what we can take off the donor truck).

The short list of work we have planned is:
  • Converting manual steering ==> power steering
  • Manual brakes ==> power brakes
  • Converting front drum brakes ==> disc brakes
  • Adding two speed windshield wipers
  • Swapping the 230 straight six with 327 V-8
  • Body work
  • Adding A/C
  • Adding lap-style seat belts
  • Swapping manual column shift to automatic column shift
  • Swapping manual transmission with an automatic transmission

Old 04-23-2007, 07:45 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Yukionna,

thanks for the update. Those are all the fun things to do on a TV, in my mind at least. You were fortunate to be able to acquire a spare parts truck with at least some of the parts you need. I'm a gearhead and have greatly enjoyed bringing vehicles back to live over the years so I'm always interested in other people's projects.

Barry
Old 04-23-2007, 09:29 PM   #51
1 Rivet Member

1986 27' Sovereign
Whispering Pines , North Carolina
pinehurst

Boy, what a fun project. Had one in the early 70's. Pulled the engine and trans and droped in a 427 big block and a truck 4 speed. prety much a bolt in swap.Did have to trim the drive shaft. That thing could light the tires in all four gears and pull, there was no stopping it. Painted in red with a white top and installed black Corvair bucket seats, did the rear seats in black rolled and pleated. Painted the inside and trimed the flat panels in wooh. Only problem, burnt the tires off the rear wheels having "fun"... Go for it!!!! Pinehurst
Old 04-23-2007, 10:46 PM   #52
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
I'm a gearhead and have greatly enjoyed bringing vehicles back to live over the years so I'm always interested in other people's projects.
What kinds of projects have you worked on?

Old 04-24-2007, 07:04 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
Yes, there are updates. We are in the process of assessing the condition of the truck and will be starting work in earnest after the International Rally. (Right now, we are focused on finishing up our Bambi II restoration for the upcoming Perry trip.)

We picked up a parts truck last month which will provide us with a hood, 327 engine, windshield wipers, full gauge cluster, rear end (axle & differential) and more (still assessing what we can take off the donor truck).

The short list of work we have planned is:
  • Converting manual steering ==> power steering
  • Manual brakes ==> power brakes
  • Converting front drum brakes ==> disc brakes
  • Adding two speed windshield wipers
  • Swapping the 230 straight six with 327 V-8
  • Body work
  • Adding A/C
  • Adding lap-style seat belts
  • Swapping manual column shift to automatic column shift
  • Swapping manual transmission with an automatic transmission
Yukionna,

Its great to see you moving forward. I just added front pwr disk brakes. This upgrade is a must for towing. The burb came with a 454 and Th400 transmission. Just a heads up the wiring is a little different when you change from a warning light cluster to a gauge cluster. I'm just about done wit this part. The kitchen remodel is slowing me down a bit.... Have fun!

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 09:07 AM   #54
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Quote:
Originally Posted by yukionna
What kinds of projects have you worked on?
I'd say everything, Yukionna, but not quite. Many 50's cars and trucks, all needing some level of repair beyond basic maintenance and this is all a hobby - most I've hot rodded. A few include 32 Ford truck was my first wheeled vehicle, also had 32 Ford and Chev tudors, 46, 47, 48, 51 Fords, many 50's Pontiac's, Chevrolet's (cars and trucks), 60's Chev's, Fords and Pontiac's, Buick, olds cars, wagons and trucks. Drag raced for many years, mostly Camaro's, have had many corvette's, chevelles, a couple of mustangs - it's a disease with me according to my wife - who was a very desirable person to date in high school because her older brothers were hotrodders. Being a young person the only way to gain access to their shop and tools and knowledge was to be part of the family. She rolls her eyes whenever I tell anyone that's why I started dating her in grade 10.

Currently we have the '57 Pontiac wagon we've had since 1981 and it was a totaled car when we got it. We've put a lot of miles on it and currently have a '77 Firebird transam frame clip up front, a mix of GTO and transam powertrain, and in the wings we are slowly restoring a 70 SS chevelle the twin to one we had in 70 and is my wife's favorite of all the cars we have had besides the wagon. It is intended to be her toy when done.

I do enjoy tearing into them and prefer to add later model suspensions and powertrains for safety and dependability reasons. It's nice to have an old vehicle, just not much fun if it's less than 100% dependable so I do as much as I can to make sure that it is as reliable as our daily drivers. There's still an occasional glitch, but few and far between (where's some wood to knock on).

Barry
Old 04-29-2007, 10:47 PM   #55
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Innisfail , Alberta
Quite some time ago, someone out there sent a picture of their grandfathers 59 or 60 Buick they were going to restore and use for towing; If that came to pass, how about showing us some pictures; make me green with envy -thats my dream someday-sadly I don't have a mechanical bone in my body, so am jealous of all of you who do-keep the pictures coming; happy trails;
Garth
gtijewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 04:49 AM   #56
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
It is in process

We have the Buick. Check out where we are on our blog:

Sweet Sovereign of the Road

We are currently mounting it on a 1975 Trailering Special Suburban with a 454 power plant. We hope to be driving it around in about 2 weeks working out the kinks.

We also just bought a 1990 Suburban for a tow vehicle as well.

Let me know what you think.
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 10:05 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
I did not realize you were doing the frame swap on the Buick. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out. I know with the 50 Merc swaps they use an early to mid 80's Buick, including the firewall and floor pans.

You are one industrious guy Rob.

Barry
Old 05-01-2007, 06:03 AM   #58
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Awesome truck!

Wow, Yukionna, what a gorgeous truck! I really like those old 'burbs. The two-tone color scheme will be very nice.

Here is what we got about five years ago to pull our Excella, a 1953 Chevy one-ton panel truck that was modified to be a school bus. We think it came from a school bus factory right off the assembly line since the quality of work on it is so good, but don't know the background on it. We have had so much going on with work and other projects we have not had a chance to work on it yet, but we will be putting a stroker motor in it, and I highly recommend a tilt steering column. They are usually around $200 and are much better than the old set-in-one-place (usually for someone of a very different body type than you!) column.

Name:   t_shop-left-side.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  6.0 KB

Good luck with yours! I know you will enjoy the heck out of it, and turn some heads on the road!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 06:06 AM   #59
Rivet Master

Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumatube
Here is what we got about five years ago to pull our Excella, a 1953 Chevy one-ton panel truck that was modified to be a school bus.
Sweet ride!
I love the look -- especially with those windows along the side! How many does it seat? What kind of doors do you have in the back (i.e., ambulance style?). Does it need alot of work?

Also, thanks for the heads up on the tilt steering column. I will have to look into that.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:29 AM   #60
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
Thanks! We are pretty partial to it ourselves.

The windows were part of the school bus mods--the one-ton panels did not have windows. It originally had two bench seats, one along each side down the length of the truck. I guess it probably seated 12-14 kids, maybe more. It has the ambulance-style doors (barn doors, we call 'em) in the back.

It pretty much needs a full resto (we *could* redo the chassis and put the new drive train in and drive it -- ugly but workable) but everything is sound and we have found most of the bits it needs. The only real rust on it is along the back right along the bottom of the doors, but we have found that piece and will be replacing it.

I am still having qualms about what color to paint it. I originally wanted a silver color, but the body will have to be perfect to pull off silver. So now I am undecided. I thought about the blue color of the Excella stripe with silver accents. Any thoughts????

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote