Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-17-2015, 10:25 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

Rockingham , North Carolina
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and the other newbie threads I started last month. Also, thanks for the PM's and emails. All have been saved in a hotmail folder for reference. My wife and I have an 8 month old daughter, Sadie, and a 2.5 year old son, Dan III. And German shepherd, Chena, named after one of our favorite places in Alaska.

World is spinning a bit fast for our taste. Most kids today are glued to a TV or video game. People are losing their ability to communicate face to face. It's all emails, text, Twitter, and Facebook. Many houses built today don't even have front porches. Folks have seemingly forgot what they are for. We have different plans and cancelled our cable TV and house phone last year. We want to raise our kids a bit more simply, outdoors, family time, church, just basic stuff. Not rewriting the book.

In comes the idea for an Airstream. Get the kids to the Smoky mountains on weekends regularly fly fishing, biking, hiking, kayaking, catching glow flies, whatever. Family time. Just trying to slow things down a bit. I'm also excited about a longer 2-3 week National Parks type trip each summer. We will blink our eyes and they will be off to college.

As the nest empties, perhaps we will sell our F-250/350 with 300k+ miles and buy a new TV, downsize our Airstream, and start part timing. Selling the Ford will be easy as I will just remind them of way back when Ford was the only auto maker that refused the government bailout. Hah.

We appreciate the collective insights of this forum as it is allowing us to make informed purchase decisions. We are not wealthy financially. This truck will be the most expensive vehicle we have ever bought. And in the same year buying a $60-90k Airstream. It's a tough nut to crack. But it's an investment in our children's future that will yield great rewards. Thank you.

Dan
NC
Danattherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:12 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Anyone familiar with ARE truck caps? Looking at the Z cap for our german shepherd. Not familiar with ARE, or trucks in general. Side note, found Truck n Buddy folding tailgate step. They have a magnum that's full width of gate for 400 lb capacity. Slick. That's how the dog, and me at 320 lbs, will get in and out. Stop laughing, I'm 6'6". Just moderately fat. Hah.

Dan
NC
As a RAM 2500 Diesel owner not sure I'm permitted to answer I have owned two ARE Z caps look and fit great on my DODGE's . I'm sure it will work on a ratty old Ford beater as well Cost about the same as a comparable Lear Cap but the rear window had cleaner look. Also the dealer who sold both said he has a lot less problems with ARE's than Lear's. Three years no leaks or problems.

I have a 30' FC, glad I got a 2500 diesel. Towing is a breeze especially in the Mountains. For my money any of the Big three Diesels are a better choice for towing a large AS than a gasser. Good Luck on your quest.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:20 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Bum View Post
As a RAM 2500 Diesel owner not sure I'm permitted to answer I have owned two ARE Z caps look and fit great on my DODGE's . I'm sure it will work on a ratty old Ford beater as well Cost about the same as a comparable Lear Cap but the rear window had cleaner look. Also the dealer who sold both said he has a lot less problems with ARE's than Lear's. Three years no leaks or problems.

I have a 30' FC, glad I got a 2500 diesel. Towing is a breeze especially in the Mountains. For my money any of the Big three Diesels are a better choice for towing a large AS than a gasser. Good Luck on your quest.
As I said, the Dodge dirt bags are the worst, but I think it's all a jealousy thing, otherwise they would just comment on the subject of ARE caps and not make snide remarks. Their Dodge must have been spanked by a new Ford 6.7.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #44
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
No, we paid less new and continue to pay less going down the road. With higher resale as a percentage of new. Value received for dollars spent has always been better. No Ford comes near it in reliability or cost.

Have another cup of that blue oval koolaid, whydontcha.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:33 AM   #45
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Dan

One more suggestion for your bed cap. Get either the tilt down or sliding front window option for the cap whatever brand you buy. If not its a PITA to wash the truck rear or topper window . I have had both. Slider is better if you want access to the dog in the bed while going down the road. You can get a boot to go between the two sliders assuming your truck has a sliding rear window. keeps the weather out, less road noise and gives the pooch some AC or heat as well.

Tilt down, much easier to clean. I now have the tilt down version as we no longer have a dog.

Benn
Dodge Dirt Bag and proud of it
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #46
4 Rivet Member

Thanks man. Appreciate the input.

Dan
Old 07-18-2015, 11:44 AM   #47
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
No, we paid less new and continue to pay less going down the road. With higher resale as a percentage of new. Value received for dollars spent has always been better. No Ford comes near it in reliability or cost.

Have another cup of that blue oval koolaid, whydontcha.

All said with a smile, pappy.
Old 07-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 31' Classic
Garner, , North Carolina
good plan,, unplug the cable tv and home phone.. we went with magicjack for homephone and the cost is like 45 bucks a YEAR.. quality is ok but it only 45 a YEAR.. reducing cost is the key..

one thing to consider this late in the game is new trucks come out sept. so the new stuff now is consider a hold over and subject to 10% discount to the dealer off MSRP.. that mean you can really deal especially around thanksgiving and after christmas when every one is BROKE and the dealership is not seeing many people..

The story about buying on last day of the month is TRUE.. it worked for me.
check out pentagon credit union.. they have new car loans for 1.4%.. it easy to join .

look at good used truck.. they loose 15% of value when you drive off the lot no matter the deal..

you might check out powerstrokenation.com and Ford Truck Enthusiasts News - Ford-Trucks.com good info on both

I also like carcomplaints.com

good luck and happy days.
WBCCI#1691, Piedmont Airstream Club, Unit #161, Region #3
carl2591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 04:45 PM   #49
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
I just purchased a 2015 F250 and immediately put BFG AT's on the truck. Let me snap a picture and get that posted.
These are the best tires for longevity and overall road/off-road performance. Hands down.

Stand by for pictures.
2019 RAM PowerWagon TV-Petrol Hemi
WBCCI # 22342
djarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #50
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danattherock View Post
Just wanted to chime in and say thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and the other newbie threads I started last month. Also, thanks for the PM's and emails. All have been saved in a hotmail folder for reference. My wife and I have an 8 month old daughter, Sadie, and a 2.5 year old son, Dan III. And German shepherd, Chena, named after one of our favorite places in Alaska.

World is spinning a bit fast for our taste. Most kids today are glued to a TV or video game. People are losing their ability to communicate face to face. It's all emails, text, Twitter, and Facebook. Many houses built today don't even have front porches. Folks have seemingly forgot what they are for. We have different plans and cancelled our cable TV and house phone last year. We want to raise our kids a bit more simply, outdoors, family time, church, just basic stuff. Not rewriting the book.

In comes the idea for an Airstream. Get the kids to the Smoky mountains on weekends regularly fly fishing, biking, hiking, kayaking, catching glow flies, whatever. Family time. Just trying to slow things down a bit. I'm also excited about a longer 2-3 week National Parks type trip each summer. We will blink our eyes and they will be off to college.

As the nest empties, perhaps we will sell our F-250/350 with 300k+ miles and buy a new TV, downsize our Airstream, and start part timing. Selling the Ford will be easy as I will just remind them of way back when Ford was the only auto maker that refused the government bailout. Hah.

We appreciate the collective insights of this forum as it is allowing us to make informed purchase decisions. We are not wealthy financially. This truck will be the most expensive vehicle we have ever bought. And in the same year buying a $60-90k Airstream. It's a tough nut to crack. But it's an investment in our children's future that will yield great rewards. Thank you.

Dan
NC

Dan we just did the very thing for the very reasons you mention.
2015 F250
2015 Eddie Bauer Edition (25')

D
WBCCI # 22342
Old 07-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #51
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Here is the tire

WBCCI # 22342
Old 07-18-2015, 08:06 PM   #52
Some Guy

1968 26' Overlander
2021 25' Globetrotter
Nashville , Tennessee
Here is the truck

WBCCI # 22342
Old 07-18-2015, 09:13 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

Thanks Carl.

And thanks Nashrover for the images. Appreciate it. Will look into them more.

Have read lots about Cooper AT/3 and ST MAXX, Toyo A/T and M/T, and Goodyear Duratrac. Finding a good highway and part time offroad tire is easy. Finding one that has a reputation as a decent tow vehicle tire is a bit more challenging. Sounds like folks going bigger than 35 x 12.5 x 20 are suffering in some ways with towing performance. Many more are squeezing that size tire on stock 8" wide rims. If I go that size, I will put them on 9-10" wide wheels. But I'm still investigating loss in gas mileage, transmission searching for gears, or at minimum running at times in 5th rather than 6th, general handling, etc. Much to consider.

Dan
NC
Old 07-19-2015, 01:21 AM   #54
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
See my post above. Those tires fit the mark.