Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Any Propane Tow Vehicle Interest?

Is anyone using a propane tug now, or are you considering it? .

Any experience or comments (neg and pos) are welcome

We are considering conducting a test of a propane tow vehicle built by Ford and adapted by Roush engineering. It's an F-150 bifuel conversion.
propanetruck.us - Home
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Though there is more of a viable infrastructure in place for propane, but I'd rather wait until a non-petrolium based alternative fuel (such as hydrogen) becomes a reality.

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:25 PM   #3
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I think a couple of diesel folks here tow with propane injection. Not sure how it works, but I am with Bob, I'd love to see a non-fossil fuel solution, but doubt we'll see one in trucks or TVs anytime soon.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:39 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I agree that filling up remains the largest problem. I wonder what the compression ratio is for these engines. Propane has an effective octane rating of about 114, much higher than premium gasoline. The higher compression ratio would certainly help power. Ak Miller recommended switching to propane when installing his turbo kits.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:22 PM   #5
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Unfortunately the current method for get hyrogen is electrolysis of water. That takes a lot of energy (electricity). Unless we get it from the sun it uses more fossil fuel that it saves. Conservation and Solar is the best way to go in my opinion.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 04:39 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I think propane is a wonderful fuel. A lot less hassle than gasoline, for sure. But, it is way overpriced here in Florida. It retails for $3 a gallon and up in this state. This is really unfair as the wholesale price usually is around $1 a gallon. Gasoline is over $2 wholesale and retails in the $2.90's now.

Hydrogen? Doubtful most of us will see it as a widespread motor fuel in our lifetime. Unless there is some big breakthrough in solar cell technology, with a corresponding price drop, using solar to make hydrogen will not happen on a large scale.

We have 50-100 years of oil left, so running out is not much of an issue, just the price is, as we all know very well.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:43 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
I use propane now for about 15 years.
Untill now I used a impco setup for gasious propane .
Now I'm working on a Liqued propane injection system for a supercharged 392 hemi.
With a impco setup and no other engine mod's you will loose a lot of engine power.
And the engine will run hotter , hardened valve seats are recomended.

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 06:35 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I had a small Bobcat gas/propane unit that switched fuel with the twist of a knob. The engine was a Briggs & Stratton OHV twin. Quite frankly, the propane didn't offer enough power (read torque) when I had heavy loads in the bucket. Traded it in for a Kabota diesel.

Bruce Crower did a lot of R&D for San Diego Gas & Electric cars and trucks running LNG back in the seventies. At that time, it was actually against the law to dispense LNG or propane within the San Diego city limits! Since changed.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:16 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
We run Propane on Stefanies Car, which is a Skoda Fabia (a bit smaller than a VW Passat). It now has really more power and makes less noise. The fuel consumption increased by about 10%, but as Propane/LPG is less than halfprice of "normal" gas it is a real bargain to our wallet. Instalation for the System was around 2500,- Euro for the 4-cylinders. My inlaw has an Audi A6 with the 6-cylinder engine and paid around 2700,- Euros...

If you have the chance to go for LPG - do it!!

Greets

Bjoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:21 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatsandi
Unfortunately the current method for get hyrogen is electrolysis of water. That takes a lot of energy (electricity). Unless we get it from the sun it uses more fossil fuel that it saves. Conservation and Solar is the best way to go in my opinion.
I don't know if we will ever see fuel cells in mass production automobiles. I wish we would, but there are environmental issues even with them. However, I recently read an article that a scientist at Purdue accidentally discovered that pouring plain old H2O onto, get this, aluminum coated in gallium will give off Hydrogen. He has patented the process in the name of Purdue and the hope is that the process will be commercially implemented locally so the hydrogen won't have to be transported in bulk and you might even be able to mix the ingredients in your "tank" making it a truly portable fuel source.

I'm sure this is something that is decades away, but maybe we'll see those fuel cell automobiles that President Bush envisioned when he made that speech a few years back.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote