Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Any Dodge 6.7 Cummins fans?

Just brought her home.

2011 Cab/chassis 3500 HD with four wheel drive and a 6 speed manual trans. I will be installing a walk in Knapheid KUVcc box on the rails.

I plan to eventually go into mobile auto and rv repair.

The truck registered 22 mpg on the way home (first 3 hours of engine life) although its obviously very empty.

Overall Im very happy with the standard equipment offered in the ST.
Its no cadillac on the bumps but once I load it down with 3-4 thousand pounds on the bed it should settle it down. The airsafe hitch will get a workout im sure.

Does anyone tow with a commercial work truck?

Cheers Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Albion river campground 068.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	136912   Click image for larger version

Name:	Albion river campground 069.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	427.3 KB
ID:	136913  

Name:	Albion river campground 070.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	136914  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2010 16' International
kittery , Maine
Congrats on the new rig Vinnie.

This week I too brought home a new Ram (daily driver and tow vehicle) - a 2011 6.7L 2500 Crew SLT, 4WD auto. Very happy camper. Still would prefer to have never sold my old 2005 5.9L 2500 but that's in the past. Glad to be back in the Dodge. Checked out the Ford 250 Lariat, VERY nice cab, beautiful rig, but what one me over in the Dodge was the relative simplicity of the Cummins I-6, the lack of DEF, and a truck that's significantly lighter. I plan to add step rails and cab clearance lights, that's about it. Sure, I wish it had that Ford Lariat interior... but it's fine. It will tow a 2010 16' International CCD/Signature, using a Reese weight-distribution hitch carried over from my previous tow vehicle. Nice to know the trailer can be loaded up to max without any worries about the tow vehicle. Looking forward to seeing how it tows as soon as I get a hitch shank with a bigger drop (the Dodge sits higher than my previous, underpowered tow vehicle). Local trip planned for this weekend.

Old 08-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
Vinnie, love your truck. I pull my 34 with a 2007 Dodge 3500 drw. 6.7 with the 6 speed manual. 12 tires on the ground & I love all 57 feet of it. Added a high rise Leer cap, looks like something Nasa might have misplaced. Safe & happy travels. John
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Classic S/O
2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Helotes , Texas
Traded my mildly loaded '07 quad cab 2500 2wd with the 5.9 for a super loaded 2011 4wd We tow a 30' slide out. I can't see any difference in performance, but there is a great deal of difference in mpg. I just towed a uhaul car transporter with a samll Audi sports car over 1500 miles and avereraged 15-16 mpg @ 70 mph. The 2011 is MUCH quieter
Old 08-06-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
P.S., there is a post somewhere from a guy towing with a service bed on his truck. I remember it because his post was about how the work bed crushed the front of his new-to-him trailer the very first time he tried to park it in his driveway. Seams he needed a longer hitch bar to give more clearance for the tighter turns.
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:04 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by amm3824 View Post
Congrats on the new rig Vinnie.

This week I too brought home a new Ram (daily driver and tow vehicle) - a 2011 6.7L 2500 Crew SLT, 4WD auto. Very happy camper. Still would prefer to have never sold my old 2005 5.9L 2500 but that's in the past. Glad to be back in the Dodge. Checked out the Ford 250 Lariat, VERY nice cab, beautiful rig, but what one me over in the Dodge was the relative simplicity of the Cummins I-6, the lack of DEF, and a truck that's significantly lighter. I plan to add step rails and cab clearance lights, that's about it. Sure, I wish it had that Ford Lariat interior... but it's fine. It will tow a 2010 16' International CCD/Signature, using a Reese weight-distribution hitch carried over from my previous tow vehicle. Nice to know the trailer can be loaded up to max without any worries about the tow vehicle. Looking forward to seeing how it tows as soon as I get a hitch shank with a bigger drop (the Dodge sits higher than my previous, underpowered tow vehicle). Local trip planned for this weekend.
Thanks! I am going to install the steps as well. Im too short to be jumping up into this truck every day. I have driven the Ford aswell and liked it very much. The deal maker for me was the price. With all the standard equipment that Dodge provides that Ford charges for I was able to get it for 40k out the door. That includes the 15k weight sticker for the door and 8.5% tax and license. I couldnt walk from that.
I think im also going to add the front fender mouldings found on the 4500 too. It also came with the cold weather package and 3.73 rear axle.

Vinnie

Old 08-06-2011, 08:27 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
Vinnie, love your truck. I pull my 34 with a 2007 Dodge 3500 drw. 6.7 with the 6 speed manual. 12 tires on the ground & I love all 57 feet of it. Added a high rise Leer cap, looks like something Nasa might have misplaced. Safe & happy travels. John
Wow.. i bet it pulls like a beast. This truck is rated at 26000 GCWR, 305 hp and 610 in torque. Compared with my old Ford this truck should get the job done easily.

I will have alot of white when the box is mounted. I too might look like I work for nasa.. lol

Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 PM   #8
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsmith View Post
Traded my mildly loaded '07 quad cab 2500 2wd with the 5.9 for a super loaded 2011 4wd We tow a 30' slide out. I can't see any difference in performance, but there is a great deal of difference in mpg. I just towed a uhaul car transporter with a samll Audi sports car over 1500 miles and avereraged 15-16 mpg @ 70 mph. The 2011 is MUCH quieter

If I was to get 15 to 16 mpg I would be happy with that. It came standard with a 52 gallon fuel tank. That would be a 780 mile range. A few hundred dollars to fill up though.. ugh.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlapper View Post
P.S., there is a post somewhere from a guy towing with a service bed on his truck. I remember it because his post was about how the work bed crushed the front of his new-to-him trailer the very first time he tried to park it in his driveway. Seams he needed a longer hitch bar to give more clearance for the tighter turns.

YIKES..

Note to file.. dont do that. I would need therapy.
The airsafe hitch adds 17' from tongue to bumper so that might help.. and a spotter couldnt hurt.

Thanks Vinnie

Old 08-06-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Does anyone tow with a commercial work truck?

I'd have a 5500 Long Hauler concept truck with a different bed, (as below: Classy Chassis; B.Hale's custom camper rig) were money no object. With 170-gl tankage, full air ride and 19.5 wheels I'd be sittin' pretty. I drove a 3500 C&C for work. After deletes it was a hot rod. I'd enjoy owning a truck that could earn a living and also be a great TV for a loaded 34'.

Hope you enjoy yours. The new [2010?] hydraulic body mounts on the cab make a night & day difference from the 2008 I drove. Your gonna love that exhaust brake/VGT turbo with the man trans. Nothing like it for coming down in speed into some little town. Even towing heavy the 6.7 just eases on back to speed on the other side.

IFTA numbers for one hot-shot driver is 11.28 mpg, mainly towing heavy (oilfileld) with a 2010. You'll want to check the appropriate subforums for the C&C trucks on DieselTruckResource, CumminsForum and TurboDieselRegister.

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Newton , Texas
Proud Owner

I pull our 29' Excella with a 2011 Dodge 6.7 Laramie 4x4 Mega Cab and we LOVE it. Its super roomy for us and our two dogs and the interior is very comfortable and has many options to keep us entertained during our travels. We looked at all makes and decided that Dodge was the choice for us. You wont have any trouble pulling anything you hook to.

Congrats on you new truck, sit back and enjoy the ride.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	136939  
Mr & Mrs S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #12
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Wow.. nice.. Thanks Rednax and Jsmith

Your right about the exhaust brake! Now isn't that fun as you're coming down the hill... I have used it a couple times just to hear how cool it sounds. Here is an example of the box I will install.
Attached Images

Old 08-07-2011, 10:56 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
Nice truck!

If you haven't already, you may want to wire a piece of plywood over the wheels to keep your back glass safe until you get the box on.
Old 08-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #14
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle401 View Post
Nice truck!

If you haven't already, you may want to wire a piece of plywood over the wheels to keep your back glass safe until you get the box on.
Thanks!

I wont be really driving it until the upfit box comes in but the plywood is a good idea for that drive to Turlock.

Cheers..

Vinnie