Old 01-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
How I would like to driving a Diesel Ram. Way out of my price range. Even the used ones are up in price. Someday maybe. My 1500 ram is nice and will have to do for now. I pulls my trailer fine but it would not handle mountain driving.

Brian

Old 01-01-2012, 11:48 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

2007 34' Classic S/O
Eureka , Illinois
In October, I traded my 2005 Ram 3500 Dually (5.9L Cummins) 2WD) for a 2011 3500 4WD Dually with the Laramie Longhorn trim package. The old truck had 93K miles on the clock and had only had 2 minor problems, left front wheel bearing/hub assembly replacement and outer tie rod ends. I had installed a Pacbrake PRXB exhaust brake for mountain towing I did on a caravan in 2010. In my opinion, I got a very good trade in from my local dealer and now have just over 3K miles on the new truck. Yes, fuel mileage is 2-3 mpg less than the old truck but it a pleasure to tow my 34 ft. Airstream. It has the factory installed trailer brake controller vs. the Prodigy on the old truck. Very smooth braking. The factory exhaust brake is good but not quite as strong as the Pacbrake. The new truck has a 3.73 rear axle ratio compared to a 4.10 on the old truck. Not a lot of difference in RPM at 65 mph since the new truck has a 6 speed auto vs. 4 speed on the '05. If you ever travel around the Elkhart, IN area, take notice of the trucks that deliver new trailers from the factory to dealers. Way more than half will be a Ram, then Fords, followed by Chevys. We visited the Cummins factory in June with the TDR club and it was fantastic. Staying in Rockport, TX now for the winter.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #31
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
The 6.7 has already proven to be a real workhorse. Even with the increased payload towing the airstream has been a breeze. I am really enjoying the manual 6 speed transmission. Its really fun to drive.

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Dodge with Knapheide body 005.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	275.6 KB
ID:	148076  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #32
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Glad it's coming together. Ever think on improving the cab to service body aerodynamics? Plenty of discussion on ECOMODDER with a variety of vehicles to get 'er done. DIY, but referencing scientific texts & studies.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 02:46 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hi,

I was thinking about a wing or something to improve the aerodynamics. I will check out the site you listed.

Thanks Vinnie

Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #34
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
We bought a 2010 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 quad cab before getting our 31' Classic. We weren't sure what type of RV we would get, but wanted to be sure that we had the power to tow whatever we decided on. The Dodge was so much more quiet than the Ford or Chevy- we knew right away that the Dodge was the one we wanted. I was cruising Ebay one morning and found our truck in Georgia- there is a dealer just west of Atlanta that pumps out so many Dodge trucks that they can give a better deal than most. We made the deal on the phone and drove from Florida to pick it up. The Laramie has way more fancy stuff than we wanted, but so far are very happy with it. One thing though, I hope that Dodge has changed their factory installed brake controller to include electric over hydraulic- the one that came in our Laramie is only for electric brakes so we had to de- program it from the EVIC and get a Tekonsha P3 for the 'stream. Apparently, Ford has a way to make it either/or, but Dodge didn't in the 2010 model. The other thing that we discovered is that they make two transmissions for the Laramie- ours has the one that requires you to be rolling when you put it in 4-wheel drive. It will not go in 4wheel drive from a dead stop so if it looks like you might need it, put it in 4-wheel BEFORE you go up that hill....We still feel like the king of the road in our Dodge Laramie towing our 31' classic....all the comforts of home and then some. I am sure you will be thrilled with yours as well.
Old 01-04-2012, 08:58 AM   #35
2 Rivet Member

Francisco , Indiana
New Dodge

We traded in a 2007 Dodge Megacab (diesel, four wheel drive). Got a 2011 Ram 2500, 6.7, two wheel drive Crewcab. Absolutely love the truck and the motor. Engine brake is great. Our built in brake controler works well with our hyd/elec disc brakes.
We miss the room of the Megacab but like the shorter wheel base for getting around.
Hickory
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0788.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	148276  
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' International CCD
2002 19' Bambi
2005 30' Classic
Dover , Arkansas
Dodge 6.7

I started driving diesel trucks in the early 90's...Chevrolets....Ford came out with the Power stroke in 95, and I bought and drove Fords until 2003, where as I bought a Duramax because of all the hipe.....At 65,000 miles I couldn't take it any more and went back to the Fords....I had a King Ranch 3/4 ton four wheel drive..2007, with about 160,000 miles and went to trade it in...They just offered me $12,000 due to the 6.4 liter engine...The Dealer I had deal with for all these years, told me the low price was because of the problems they had with the 6 and 6.4 liter engines, but he was already bragging about the " New Diesel " that Ford was making themselves....Ha, I never did like to be an experiment...I have always wanted a Cummins, but really didn't like the body style of the Dodge until the last few years, so I found a 2009, 3500, 6.7 automatic 6 speed, mega cable Lst truck with remote start, with 25,000 miles, in Salt Lake City Utah, that a real estate broker had, so I flew out, bought it for $34,000 and drove it home...I added steps, wind deflectors on the side windows and a bug shield on the hood, and it pulls the 30 ft Classic like a dream....I bought 285 tires for it which dropped my mileage, but I still get around 18 miles, 12 pulling the trailer....I forgot to mention, the 3500 is just the single wheels and not the dually. I am certainly happy with the truck and cummins engine....
Old 01-04-2012, 08:11 PM   #37
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ole-red View Post
I started driving diesel trucks in the early 90's...Chevrolets....Ford came out with the Power stroke in 95, and I bought and drove Fords until 2003, where as I bought a Duramax because of all the hipe.....At 65,000 miles I couldn't take it any more and went back to the Fords....I had a King Ranch 3/4 ton four wheel drive..2007, with about 160,000 miles and went to trade it in...They just offered me $12,000 due to the 6.4 liter engine...The Dealer I had deal with for all these years, told me the low price was because of the problems they had with the 6 and 6.4 liter engines, but he was already bragging about the " New Diesel " that Ford was making themselves....Ha, I never did like to be an experiment...I have always wanted a Cummins, but really didn't like the body style of the Dodge until the last few years, so I found a 2009, 3500, 6.7 automatic 6 speed, mega cable Lst truck with remote start, with 25,000 miles, in Salt Lake City Utah, that a real estate broker had, so I flew out, bought it for $34,000 and drove it home...I added steps, wind deflectors on the side windows and a bug shield on the hood, and it pulls the 30 ft Classic like a dream....I bought 285 tires for it which dropped my mileage, but I still get around 18 miles, 12 pulling the trailer....I forgot to mention, the 3500 is just the single wheels and not the dually. I am certainly happy with the truck and cummins engine....
Just an FYI. Many are not interested, but:

You may know that with an emissions-delete and H&S Tuner that the fuel mileage will increase substantially. I got your kind of mileage with an 8k 40' GN flatbed: 15-mpg at 65 empty, and 10-mpg loaded up to 33k GCW. This was on a 2WD DRW auto truck.

There are a bunch of us getting 14-16 mpg with Cummins trucks, and 28-34' trailers from about 55-62 mph.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 PM   #38
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Hi,

I was thinking about a wing or something to improve the aerodynamics. I will check out the site you listed.

Thanks Vinnie
Vinnie, there is plenty to read on that site, and I thought I'd help you ge a jump with the link to Nose Cone products. IMO, this looks like the simplest and by far best-looking solution. There is a pic on the N-C site of a Reading Service Body so equipped. I think it adds a really finished look (as in, the owner knows what he is doing which is re-assuring on several levels).

ECOMODDER also has a great deal about how to drive for economy, the reason I participate over there (under slowmover). I figure that if longevity and reliability are the highest priorities, then highest mpg is the way I track this (as well as very high brake and tire life [Bridgestone Duravis 500's are on my tire list. 120k with Michelin ain't good enough compared to the 180k some are getting with the Duravis in commercial service]) as well as being an overall more relaxed, safer kind of driver as a result.

There's a great thread on EM from a guy in Maine with an older tall-body stake bed, and how he's done some changes that benefit the pocketbook. Nice looking work, too. An example I'd think you'd enjoy as it is about both some aero mods and driving changes. Granted that may not be high priority for the work you do, but I suspect that the miles you run may cause some changes -- to truck and in driver awareness -- to really pay off if a change is wanted. I use MAPQUEST to help me determine "best" routing, for instance.

The IRS deduction helps, but I prefer cash-in-pocket.

Let us know how that thing does. A truck with two lives, work & play, sure makes a lot of sense. Have you seen the Ford 6.7L service body report around here? 18k rig, and excellent fuel mileage over 10k miles, IIRC.

Old 01-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #39
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Found that stake bed project:

Aerodynamic Improvements: Diesel, Dually, Dump
Old 01-05-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thanks Rednax,

This is great information. Im thinking like you, a nose cone would be a good solution.
Kinda silly to tow an airstream behind a box huh.

Vinnie

Old 01-09-2012, 06:54 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
OK- So I stand corrected by my DH. Our 2010 Laramie 2500 DOES go in 4wheel drive from stop- at least it did this weekend. Sorry for the misleading info- we LOVE our Dodge in any case and it tows our Classic 31 with ease.