Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2011, 05:10 PM   #61

Lyndon , Kansas
I've had two Lear caps, One Snugtop and have the second Snugtop on order.

The seal between the truck and cap on the Lear was leak tight. Not so with the Snugtop however the Lear was on an 87 F150 which had a smooth side. The tape made a mess but I only had the top off once so no big deal. Also the top was attached by drilling holes thru the truck bed. I think most of the new ones are clamped. The Lear was also a couple of inches higher than the roof of the 150 which I loved because I used it to camp in. The front window was fixed. I did that for economy purposes. Bad idea because the windows get so dirty you can hardly see out.

On my 2002 Tundra I bought a cab hi snugtop and loved it since I used it to camp in also. What attracted me to it was the lock which can be opened from the inside while staying locked from the outside. I also had a sliding drop front window to be able to clean it and also to blow some cool air in for the dogs. I didn't ever use the air conditioning feature because just having the access to the bed when the slides were opened caused my dog to think he should be able to join the family up front, so don't know if it would work or not. I also had the inside carpet on the shell wall for insulation purposes. In a really hard rain I had a very small leak on one corner and tried to tighten the factory J clamps used to secure the top but after serveral tightenings, decided to add a C clamp in lieu of breaking the J clamp. That stopped the leak. Also, the snugtop handle has a cover to keep the dirt out. The lear didn't and after several years was so corroded, I couldn't lock it. The cab hi feature was more limiting than the Lear which could be a disadvantage. The snugtop paint was perfectly matched to the truck and seemed just as durable.

I just purchased an F250 and ordered another cab hi snugtop just like the previous one except I didn't opt for the lining because don't plan on using it as a camper but to store equipment and have a place for the dogs.
jomarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:42 AM   #62
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
I was considering the purchase of a cap sometime this year. I haven't talked to any dealers about this yet but I was thinking about getting a toolbox for the driver side and an access window that would open on the passenger side. I figured the toolbox would be good for fishing/hunting gear, tools or extra stuff for trailer leveling etc.....
1.) What do you think of this idea?
2.)Those of you who have roof racks, can they be removed? Currently I can get my pickup in the garage - like squeezing an elephant into a shoe box but it does fit - minimal roof clearance.

This is the setup I was thinking about.

Click image for larger version

Name:	cap.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	99.8 KB
ID:	119276
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #63
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
It takes very little to break into a cap. Check securement devices. There are differences.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:30 PM   #64
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
Roof racks come in many versions. I opted for the quick-detach Thule that come as part of the Leer "Adventure Package" which also includes a ceiling cargo net (love this) a 12V outlet,dome lights, etc., etc. The roof rack cross bars have key-locks in their base so they can be secured, but the latch on and off easily. Another small thing to think about: one handle opening vs. two. I like a single handle/knob because I almost always have something in my hand(s) when I want to get into the back.

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #65
1 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Minot , North Dakota
Unicover=Bad, Leer=Good

We have a Unicover Safari on our Tundra. It is a complete disaster...mechanically and customer service related. The rear hatch tore off at the hinge after 13 months of normal use. It had a one year warranty, and when I contacted Unicover to ask about a replacement they told me, "Oh yeah, we stopped using that supplier for those hinges, they were never meant to be used for our intended purpose." They then told me that it wasn't their problem anymore, but they'd be more than happy to sell me another glass door at retail plus shipping. Okay.

On the other hand...we had a Leer on our Tacoma, and it was great. We were constantly using and abusing it (much more than the Unicover), and it never had any of the issues the Unicover did.

My one piece of advice, whichever brand you choose, make sure the front window of the cap folds down into the cap so it can be cleaned. That makes life much easier.

-Will
willski33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 01:20 PM   #66
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
new truck cap

We finally decided to buy a cap for the pickup I bought last fall.
Here are the specs:
  • Brand: ARE
  • Carpeted interior
  • single tee handle (ARE is the only brand that still offers this option in their middle of the line caps - I hate two tee handles).
  • win-doors on the side - dog needs ventilation and easy access to stuff
  • sliding/fold down front window
  • tinted windows
  • clothes rod
  • Yakima roof rack system
I opted for no interior lights from ARE. I can get these cheaper that what ARE would supply them and I didn't want the hacks at the truck cap dealer messing with the wiring on the truck - I'll do it myself. I am going to tap the interior lights into the cargo light switch so that the interior will be lighted when you unlock the doors and I can check on the dog when driving at night. I also plan to put a 12v power point back their too.
It was good to find out that Dodge supplied a wire at the rear of the truck for tapping into brake light circuit for the third brake light.
Here are a couple of crumby cell phone pics.

Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:05 PM   #67
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Looks like the right purchase . . and the right plan.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 10:42 AM   #68
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
We finally decided to buy a cap for the pickup I bought last fall.
Here are the specs:
  • Brand: ARE
  • Carpeted interior
  • single tee handle (ARE is the only brand that still offers this option in their middle of the line caps - I hate two tee handles).
  • win-doors on the side - dog needs ventilation and easy access to stuff
  • sliding/fold down front window
  • tinted windows
  • clothes rod
  • Yakima roof rack system
Sounds like we have almost the same cap, but I did not order the clothes rod.

I also found a pair of lightly used Yakima SproketRocket bike mounts on Craigslist for the bikes. The cap with the bike racks now fits in my garage since I adjusted the open limit switch on the opener.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0008 (1).jpg
Views:	199
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	131591   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0011.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	255.4 KB
ID:	131592  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:19 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
We have the Lear Browning Special on our 2007 Lincoln LT and it has been fantastic since it was installed in Jan. 2007. We also added the carpet/seat kit as it added the storage behind the seats. We can also use it as a camper if needed in an emergency. We have had no problems with the Browning Lear which also comes standard with the Thule setup and wind flume.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 09:14 PM   #70
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
Had this now for about 5 years it has more options and simple up/down

Pickup Truck Topper, Cap and Campershell for Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, Nissan & more

Made by soft topper

Watch how easy it is to install our fully retractable canvas pickup topper. This one of a kind camper shell, topper, cap or whatever you may call it, is unlike anything on the market today. Unlike a Fiberglass Cap or Tonneau Cover you do not need a group of friends to take it on and off. Not only is this one of a kind camper shell versatile it can also take what ever you throw at it.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #71
4 Rivet Member

2007 31' Classic
Kansas City , Missouri
Just wanted to show two Airstreamer's approach to the truck bed. Both elegant solutions, I think.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	391.7 KB
ID:	134662   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0071.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	854.7 KB
ID:	134663  

JBinKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 08:22 PM   #72
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
I have a '99 F250 with an ATC cab high and a '05 Tacoma with a SnugTop cab high. I with I would have gotten the side windows to both have a sliding screen window and open completely (windoor) to get better access to the front of the bed.

You need a locking tailgate to help in security even though if anyone wanted to get something inside, they could break in. Lock boxes inside help as well.

The Ford's is white (much cooler) and the Tacoma's is black (hot).

I have Yakima racks on both. I could not tell any mileage difference with just the caps, but when I added the cross bars, baskets, kayak, bikes, etc. the mileage loss was very noticeable. Also when you add these you have to watch the awnings on drive ins (Sonic, etc.) My F250 will not fit in my standard 7' garage door with the cross bars on much less the basket.

I really like having the caps on both trucks. It does cause a bit of a problem when hauling tree limbs, compost, mulch, etc, but well worth the it when hauling my toys when traveling.
ridgewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #73
Silver Spud

2010 23' FB Flying Cloud
Sagle , Idaho
In a Sling

I went with a Leer and it's close to perfect. Single hand open/close and tilt-open side windows plus nice design to match the F-250. Also built this sling for removing it when I need/want to go "topless." (Note wood spacers to keep weight off fiberglass edge.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Canopysling.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	135121  

The Silver Spud
BillB44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #74
hang up and drive

2010 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB44 View Post
I went with a Leer and it's close to perfect. Single hand open/close and tilt-open side windows plus nice design to match the F-250. Also built this sling for removing it when I need/want to go "topless." (Note wood spacers to keep weight off fiberglass edge.)

Very clever.

2023 Ford F350 Lariat 7.3/4.30 FX4 CCLB
2010 Classic Limited 30
ProPride P3-1400
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote