Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Another Touareg-er!/Fantastic Vents

Greetings Devoman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
No..It did not come with one.But that is going to be one of the first things i put on this thing though.I have 2 vents.Should i get 2 of them or would one be just fine?If i am to just get one,should i put it in the back to keep cool or do you think it would be good in the front if i were to cook?Thanks
Based on my experience with the '64 Overlander, I would definitely recommend two Fantastic Vent fans. In such an installation it is possible to have an exhaust only in the rear-most location with a reversible in the front location. I have the reversible units in both locations with thermostat and rain sensor and am extremely well satisfied after more than five seasons -- I typically run the one in the rear on exhaust with the one in front set on intake -- it really makes a dramatic improvement in ventiallation effectiveness (in fact, I have considered the option of adding a second vent opening in my Minuet so that it too can have two of the Fantastic Vents).

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 03:56 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro-pinky
Hello!

Any advice to a solo gal who wants a Touareg V8 and a 25' CCD? Trying to make this happen before the end of the year. Plan to travel with my 2 dogs, and do most of this on my own.

Tow package advice? Gadgets to help me hitch and unhitch alone?

Best campgrounds or forums to find the airstream loving, creative man of my dreams?

Any and all thoughts/advice appreciated!

ps: been a solo camping gal for 20+ years in 2 different Westphalia campers, just new to the whole world of towing . . .
Retro,

Haven't read any of the replies because I wanted to get this out to you poste haste. Sorry if I'm repeating anyone.

Private message Towhead, he's towing a 25' CCD with a V8 Treg and loving it - great combo, according to him. He's a nice nice guy to boot.

Welcome aboard!
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 04:05 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
No..It did not come with one.But that is going to be one of the first things i put on this thing though.I have 2 vents.Should i get 2 of them or would one be just fine?If i am to just get one,should i put it in the back to keep cool or do you think it would be good in the front if i were to cook?Thanks
Dev,

I have two Fantistics on my 22' CCD and love them. If you can find power easily, go for two right away. I would recommend doing at least one with the wall mount switch. My $.02.

Have a good one!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:20 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I was going to say the same thing as Xray. I have the one fan in front, and while it's nice, two would be absolutely perfect on those hotter days. I also love the rain sensor feature. It works every time!

Good to know about the 25' CCD. If there is any more public info on towing such a large trailer with the Touareg, I'd love to hear it. That would probably be the next size up for me after some kids. Of course, there is a god chance of having a V6 TDI diesel Touareg by then too.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 01:17 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
Also, to follow up on the WD hitch (in another thread), I am using an Equil-i-zer brand WD hitch w/ sway control. So far, so good, but I also have the air suspension, and leveling out in not a problem. Xray also had air and a WD hitch. However, I believe that we a both have the factory hitch.
Welcome Westfalia, I think our Touaregs share the same paint color

We haven't installed our hitch yet and like you and Xray we have a WD hitch w/sway (we also have Equal-i-zer), V-8/air, and am wondering about this factory hitch installation. Are there any modifications or details I should know or ask about before we have this done? I did read something about a coverplate needed for the hitch but there isn't one available from VW, is this correct? Any advise from the resident T-reg owners is much appreciated

I'm also wondering how this vehicle would do towing a 25' as someday in our future I'd love to see a SafariSE (with the FB) following behind

Seems like pulling the Bambi will be a breeze which is nice to know!

Barb
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2005, 06:14 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Towhead's comments on pulling a 28' CCD with his V8 Touareg.

Here's another, below, from RV Lifestyle Magazine (early '04 issue).
------------------------

The Volkswagen Touareg for 2004 ... by Garth W. Cane

This is not your father’s Volkswagen Bug- that had a rear air cooled engine and terrible heater. This premium luxury SUV frees you from the obstacles of travelling in areas that have difficult road surfaces for ordinary cars to manoeuver. The Touareg name means "free folk" and is the name of a nomadic tribe from the Sahara. With a full-time four-wheel-drive system and room for five passengers with lots of cargo (31 cubic feet with the rear seats up and 71 cubic feet when folded), the Touareg boasts a trailer towing rating of 7,716 pounds in both V6 and V8.

Since the trailer hitch for the Touareg is a $1000 dealer installed option, we took our test vehicle to CedarBrae Volkswagen on Markham Road where Mike Bruene dropped the rear bumper, bolted on the hitch, installed the lighting control unit and re-program the lights, re-installed the bumper, then wired the Tekonsha brake control under the dash. This process takes about three hours to complete. I would like to think that this would be done at the factory where nothing would need to be taken apart, but VW considers that the dealers should do the installation.

The permanent four wheel drive system is called 4XMOTION™ and automatically shifts power between axles to match driving conditions, such as pulling your trailer up a gravel hill to the campground. The 4XMOTION system includes an adjustable multi-plate clutch of the center differential that is automatically controlled by the Differential Control Module. During normal operation, torque is distributed from the engine to the front and rear axles (on a 50/50% split) by the automatic transmission and center differential. The multi-plate center differential lock is allowed to disengage whenever the Differential Control Module determines a power differential between the front and rear axles is required. A transfer case, equipped with off-road reduction, delivers power to drive the wheels via electronically controlled differentials. With the option rear differential lock, up to 100% of the torque can be used by any wheel that still has traction.

Touareg’s standard independent suspension contributes to the vehicle’s outstanding on-road and off-road capabilities allowing the vehicle to navigate very difficult terrain on the way to your favorite lake. Our test vehicle had optional air suspension and Continuous Damping Control that adapts the suspension to driving conditions and vehicle speed. The damping characteristics of the shock absorbers are adjusted from the input of sensors that monitor road conditions through vehicle movement. The air suspension will raise the body in two different stages to provide more ground clearance for off-road driving. The Touareg also features a Hill Climb Assist that prevents the vehicle from rolling back on a steep incline. Not only does it keep the vehicle steady, it makes it easier to accelerate up the hill from a standing stop after photographing the scenic view from the lookout on the mountain road.

The Touareg’s body has a completely new, self-supporting construction and provides as much static and dynamic rigidity as possible. The body does not flex or twist, even in the most tortuous off-road driving conditions.

The body’s high dynamic torsional rigidity contributes to Touareg’s stability and driving comfort. The rock-solid chassis allows the doors, hood and tailgate to close without problems, even with the tightest gap tolerances. The body structure also provides optimum design for the running gear properties, and the Touareg’s front mud wings are made of a flexible plastic material for added durability. The bumpers are made of thermal-resistant, extremely rugged plastic that protects them from heat emanating from the engine compartment and exhaust system, and they are flexible enough to protect against parking lot dings.

The center console provides quick, convenient access to the controls, including the gear shift selector, mirror adjustment switch and the switch for running gear and height adjustable self-levelling suspension. All controls are positioned ergonomically, in easy sight and reach of the driver, including a knob for dampening control. Our Touareg had the standard AM/FM radio with CD player, but for Rvers, the Navigation package would be ideal for travelling in unfamiliar country.

The large tailgate with an independently opening window guarantees optimum accessibility and convenience. The two-piece tailgate, opened by invisible spring absorber units, also offers a high degree of technical details and tactile luxury. The tailgate is unlocked electronically by either the keyfob or a switch on the driver’s door and an adjustable roof rack is standard.

Touareg’s luxury character begins with world-class dual-zone Climatronic™ air conditioning system with separate temperature levels for the right and left side. An available four-zone "Climatronic" system provides two individual temperatures, air flow and air distribution zones for the front as well as the rear passengers. Both systems feature residual heating function, activated charcoal dust and pollen filter, and an air-conditioned glove box.

Touareg offers exceptionally comfortable front seating with standard eight-way manual adjustment on the V6 and standard 12-way power adjustment on the V8. The 12-way power front seats are adjustable to longitudinal position, height, seat and backrest angle by means of buttons directly on the seat. Integrated lumbar support and electrically adjustable (up/down, front/back) controls conform the seat to the best anatomical, fatigue-free position. All front seats are heatable.

The noise and comfort level of this luxury sedan are guaranteed by the acoustically insulated subframe, with double wishbone construction of the front axle and four-link suspension of the rear axle. The enhanced Traction Control System prevents the drive wheels from spinning on snow or loose gravel with braking action or engine torque. The standard Electronic Differential Lock makes it easier to drive when one wheel is on the pavement and the other on the shoulder of the road, where different surfaces have different friction, by braking the spinning wheel.

The standard engine is a V6 3.2L 24-valve that produces 220 hp at 5400 rpm and has 225 pounds-feet of torque at 3200 rpm. The optional V8 in our test vehicle produced 310 hp at 6200 rpm with 302 pounds-feet of torque at 3000 rpm. A deeper oil pan and a spraying tube facilitate oil distribution in off-road situations. More belt-to-pulley contact prevents the accessory belt from slipping when driving through water.

The six-speed automatic transmission reduces fuel consumption , and reduces emissions for quieter operation than five-speed units. The "Tiptronic" transmission allows manual-style shifting by moving the gear selector from "D" to the right and gently moving the lever forward or backward to shift the gears up or down. A Sport position automatically selects gears at higher engine speeds, resulting in quicker acceleration. This transmission is one of the smoothest shifting we have driven. It effortlessly shifts down from 6th to 5th on steep hills without losing speed, and the upshifts can hardly be felt.

The air suspension will raise the body in two different stages to provide more ground clearance for off-road driving. These variable settings give Touareg an advantage in off-road situations by providing outstanding approach angles, departure angles and breakover angles to permit the vehicle to easily negotiate hills, rocks and other rugged terrain that many conventional SUVs cannot handle.

Going down a steep hill is easier for Touareg because of Hill Descent Control. At speeds of less than 15 mph on a decline of 20 percent or more, this control automatically cuts engine torque to slow the vehicle and enhance engine control. If necessary, the brakes will be applied automatically. The sporty Touareg V8 (228 kW / 310 bhp ) develops no less than 302 pounds-feet of torque accelerating the Touareg to 100 km/hr in just 8.1 seconds.

The Touareg can climb a 45% incline and also remain stable when crossing the side of a hill. The door seals prevent water from entering, and with waterproof headlamps and connectors, special air intake ducting, the Touareg can ford water up to 500 millimeters ( 580 millimeters with air suspension) without a problem.

The key, that is like no other key, is a flat bar with grooves engraved in each side instead of notches along the edges, and has a transponder to recognize its driver.

We borrowed a 30-foot Classic Airstream travel trailer equipped with a Hensley hitch from Andy and Kirk Thomson at Can-Am RV in London for our test of the Touareg. We weighed the combination at the Flying "J" scale on Highbury Ave in London to be sure that we were within the 7700 pound design limts of the Touareg’s towing capacity. The Airstream came in at 6700 pounds giving us another 1000 pounds of load carrying capability for food and clothing.

This SUV was a delight to drive, both solo and with a trailer in tow. I had to watch that I did not accelerate too quickly with so much power available at the wheels. The Touareg handled the trailer very well in sudden lane changes at highway speeds with no body roll or diving in the corners. This is one fantastic tow vehicle that can tow a substantial trailer like the Airstream without any effort and in complete comfort.

My one disappointment was the placement of the cup holders for the driver and passenger. It was necessary to place your wrist in an unnatural position to insert the cup or remove it from its position at the rear of the console. Base price for the V8 Touareg in Canada is $60,550. Our test model equipped with Bi-xenon headlamps, winter package, 19" alloy wheels with summer tires, four corner air suspension, and rear differential lock was $69,350. The V6 will sell for $52,000.

Garth W. Cane
Technical Director
RV Lifestyle Magazine
Taylor Publishing Group
1020 Brevik Place,Ste 5
Mississauga, ON L4W 4N7
Old 08-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #27
Rivet Master

I'm digging through my archives...

Garth Cane, Technical Director for RV Lifestyles Magazine, responds in 2004 to "Randal" regarding the Touareg's abilities. Before I bought the Touareg/22' CCD combo in mid-2004 I personally spoke to Cane to validate the letter and his feelings about the Touareg. He is emphatic about the Touareg and towing. Best of all, it's true!

------------------

Randal,

The Airstream was below the tow rating of the Tourage. It weighed in at 6700 pounds total on the scale, about 1000 pounds under the rating for the Touareg. The weight on the rear axle showed 100 pounds over the rear axle rating, but that was with two 200 pound men in the rear seat. Most RVers do not travel with passengers in the rear seat.

In their literature, Volkswagen refers to 616 pounds weight carrying capacity for the hitch, and also an incorect figure of 616 pounds for a weight distriibuting hitch. They did not know the difference in the ratings until we showed them. Unfortunately, all their marketing information had been printed.

We found the Volkswagen Touareg one of the best tow vehicles in its price class in the 33 years we have been testing vehicles for RVs. Volkswagen sells its own aftermarket equalizer hitch receiver, made by Westfalia (part number 7L0 092 101 U), that must be installed by a VW dealer as it involves removing the rear bumper, and polystyrene foam absorption system, bolting on the hitch, torquing and stretching the bolts, installing the electronic controls and reprogramming the tail lights for towing.

Who knows whether it is rated as a Class 3 or 4. But it is rated for the 7700 pound trailer rating. It took approximately 3 1/2 hours for installation as the rear bumper has to be dismantled and the hitch receiver installed, the the inside curb side coverings in the rear had to be removed to install the electronics package that controls the tail lights and brake system. Do not attempt to install any other brand of hitch receiver. But you can use any brand of equalizing hitch head that will fit in a 2-inch square receiver. If someone tried to tow with a bumper style hitch, it would probably void the warranty. Most VW dealers know next to nothing about towing, so they try to protect themselves by telling people that they will void the warranty. This vehicle was designed to tow.

Since this is VW's first vehicle capable of towing an RV, they have little knowledge of what is involved in setting a vehicle up for towing. We had to do an instructional session with them as they did not know what an equalizing hitch did, or how a brake control system functioned. We towed our own Award 31' events trailer about 200 miles with the Touraeg using a Reese head and 1000 pound equalizer bars, with no sway control added. We used a Hensley hitch to tow the Airstream since it was already installed on the trailer for the person who had purchased it. Even at 80 miles an hour with a 31' Airtstream trailer the Touareg did not exhibit any diving or porpoising in quick lane changes. The brake control for both trailers was a Tekonsha pendulum type model. The trailers did not have water or food and clothes in them at the time of the test, but there was plenty of headroom in the Touareg’s towing capacity for this addition. Both the Award trailer and the Airstream were weighed at the Flying J in London and came in at 6700 pounds each.

I towed both trailers over 200 miles of highways, secondary and back roads with absolutely no problems of fishtailing, surging, or porpoising with the combination of the Touareg and trailers. This was the smoothest shifting tow vehicle we have ever used in towing trailers. Smoothly upshifting when needed on hills, and with excellent acceleration under load for merging with traffic at on-ramps. Both Trailer Life publications of California and our magazine, RV Lifestyle of Canada have tow tested the Touareg and found it to be an excellent tow vehicle. Very comfortable solo or in towing mode. This is a great vehicle for towing a trailer from coast to coast. The last mile is as comfortable as the first. Andy Thomson, our chief hitch writer believes that the Touareg can pull much more than the 7700 pound rating that VW has given it.

Bernice Holman of the VW’s Canadian PR office and Steve Keyes, the Director of Corporate Communications for USA have received copies of our article on the Touareg and feel that it is excellent. They are the people who provided the vehicle to us so that we could conduct a series of testing the Touareg for towing travel trailers. Steve tells me that they are in the process of doing a series of seminars with dealers across the country to educate them about towing.

The use of a bumper hitch or a hitch receiver not supplied by VW would probably void the warranty. Any 2-inch square weight distribution hitch head will fit VW's industry standard receiver and can be used to tow the trailer properly. For a trailer such as you are suggesting, I always suggest to the owner that a sway control system of some kind is beneficial. Reese makes an excellent Dual Cam Sway Control hitch system, and also several companies produce friction type sway control bars. The friction type bars are only guaranteed for hitch weights under three hundred pounds. The Hensley hitch is the ultimate in preventing sway from ever starting, but it comes with a price. Check out their website at www.nosway.com. All it takes is onoe accident from excessive sway or fishtailing to more than pay for the cost of the Hensley.

Garth W. Cane
Technical Director
RV Lifestyle Magazine
Taylor Publishing Group
1020 Brevik Place,Ste 5
Mississauga, ON L4W 4N7
Old 08-15-2005, 09:34 AM   #28
Rivet Master

Another archived letter from the period when I was still researching the Touareg/Airstream combo (pre-purchase)...

BTW, I outfitted our hitch exactly as Andy recommended (Andy is from Can-Am RV, one of North America's largest dealers). We now have over 12,000 miles towing our 22' CCD with a V8 w/air suspension and it has performed beyond our expectations.

X

----

On Mar 21, 2004, at 3:32 PM, Andrew Thomson wrote:

Hi XRAY,

I have been so busy with shows and seminars that I have not had a
chance to look at the forum in months.

I think you will find the Touareg to be nothing short of fantastic.
Other than a slight edge to the Cayenne it is the best SUV I have ever
towed with. With a 30' Excella on the back it cruised along at 90 MPH in
25 mph cross wind like it was out for a relaxing Sunday drive. The
engine is great but the 6 speed is the real key, you just always have
the right gear. The short overhang and independent suspension along
with excellent suspension tuning make it extremely stable. The hitch is
stronger than almost all the domestic hitches and I could not get it to
flex even slightly with substantial tongue weight and torsion bar
pressure. We even did a little off roading with the Cayenne which has
the same hitch and no matter how we twisted it there was not a problem.
In Europe there is no such thing as an equalizing hitch so I guess it
has the German engineers running scared because they do not understand
it.

I do not know of a diesel that will come even close to keeping up with
it or handling as well. In fact with a little 22 on it most of the
diesels would have a hard time keeping up solo and they certainly would
not be able to stay with it on a twisty road with a few frost heaves.

The only concern I would have is your choice of hitch. The equalizer
has its place but it works best on a heavy combination that needs
substantial pressure on the torsion bars. If you are looking for the
smoothest possible ride it will not give it to you as the torsion bars
are very stiff with limited travel. Since you will not need very much
pressure on your torsion bars the built in sway control will not be of
much value.

The hitch I would recommend is a 1000 lb Eaz-Lift with 2 friction sway
controls. I would strongly suggest a welded ball mount in order to keep
the rear overhang to a minimum. If you cannot find someone in your area
to make you up a welded ball mount it is something we can do here and
send out to you. Of coarse a Hensley will work as well.

I would suggest the Jordan Ultima or the Hensley Tru Control. I will
not install and all electronic type as in our testing we cannot get them
to stop as safely let alone any where near as smoothly.

I hope this helps and feel free to send me any further questions.

Thanks for writing.

Andy
Old 08-15-2005, 10:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

Interesting, especially the comments about the Equilizer hitch. How do you find the ride is with your hitch? I notice a little bit of rebound with mine, and then I can feel the air suspension trying and smooth out the rebound, a process that can take a second or two.

Other than that, the only thing I would change about mine would be the engine. V6 is great for flat land towing, but it leaves a little bit to be desired when climbing the high mountain passes, something that I do on a regular basis.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:34 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

(On March 21, Andrew Thompson wrote:

The hitch I would recommend is a 1000 lb Eaz-Lift with 2 friction sway
controls. I would strongly suggest a welded ball mount in order to keep
the rear overhang to a minimum.

Of coarse a Hensley will work as well.

I would suggest the Jordan Ultima or the Hensley Tru Control. I will
not install and all electronic type as in our testing we cannot get them
to stop as safely let alone any where near as smoothly.)

Do you all agree with this? What's your opinion on this hitch, and would you change to try either of these options instead?

Thanks for all above info XRay!
Old 08-15-2005, 02:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
Welcome Westfalia, I think our Touaregs share the same paint color
I LOVE my Silver Blue Touareg. It doesn't show dirt.

Quote:
We haven't installed our hitch yet and like you and Xray we have a WD hitch w/sway (we also have Equal-i-zer), V-8/air, and am wondering about this factory hitch installation. Are there any modifications or details I should know or ask about before we have this done? I did read something about a coverplate needed for the hitch but there isn't one available from VW, is this correct? Any advise from the resident T-reg owners is much appreciated
The factory hitch will be more than enough for what you want to tow. I bought mine for $600 and installed it myself. MAKE SURE that you get the updated bolts that increase the rating from 616 lbs of tongue weight to 770. If it a new hitch, you should be fine, but it is not easy to change once it is done. The factory electrics are nice, and fully provide for the addition of a trailer brake controller. The only problem is with the LED lights on the Bambi and the Touaregs reporting system. You will get a 'Check Brake Lights' and a 'Check turn Signals' warning in the MFI every time you plug in or start the car. At some point, I will make a resistor package to fix this problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 02:48 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Oh, no problem at all.

I run the Equalizer hitch to total comfort and satisfaction. I have never noticed the Treg adjusting its suspension to the load - ever - but maybe I just don't listen. I've never used sway control even though I bought the hitch with the optional sway bar. Frankly, its just too stable to worry about it and I've never even thought about it since day one. I tried it once. My TV/trailer combo does not sway.

I use the Tekonsha Envoy (having retired the Prodigy from service on the Treg - just too much electronic stuff going on)... It works to my satisfaction and is not a bother. The Treg's huge 4 wheel disks stop the whole shebang without the trailer brakes just fine. I had to make a short trip once before I had the controller installed. Can't say I recommend or condone it, but it does work (without any white-knuckles).

Guests for dinner tonight so I gotta run. I'll be watching this thread!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:25 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
I LOVE my Silver Blue Touareg. It doesn't show dirt..
Looks great with the Bambi, can't wait till we get ours set up!

Quote:
. The only problem is with the LED lights on the Bambi and the Touaregs reporting system. You will get a 'Check Brake Lights' and a 'Check turn Signals' warning in the MFI every time you plug in or start the car. At some point, I will make a resistor package to fix this problem.
Does this happen even without bieng attatched to the TT? If so what a pain!
If you come up with a fix VW should pay you for it IMO.

I think MFI means mal-function indicator...correct me if I'm wrong...my mind came up with a few other possibilities

Will plan on the factory hitch and bring this info along, thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Oh, no problem at all.

I run the Equalizer hitch to total comfort and satisfaction. I have never noticed the Treg adjusting its suspension to the load - ever - but maybe I just don't listen. I've never used sway control even though I bought the hitch with the optional sway bar. Frankly, its just too stable to worry about it and I've never even thought about it since day one. I tried it once. My TV/trailer combo does not sway.

Guests for dinner tonight so I gotta run. I'll be watching this thread!
OK, so you use the hitch ball only then, and don't attach the sway bars? Our hitch came with these bars and we never considered not using them, but that would surly eliminate the creak!!

Enjoy your dinner!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:18 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Quote:
Looks great with the Bambi, can't wait till we get ours set up!

I think MFI means mal-function indicator...correct me if I'm wrong...my mind came up with a few other possibilities

Will plan on the factory hitch and bring this info along, thanks!
No big, really. I don't even notice it (MFI "lights" warning) anymore. And, I don't think there's a fix... VW has been meaning to update the flash for the trailer module...

No, it doesn't happen until you connect the trailer and start the Treg.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:26 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Sway and weight distribution are two different things. I would never tow without weight distribution, frankly, nor should you. Weight distribution provides better control over the trailer even if it's not necessary in your application. I had at least one dealer tell me that they wouldn't sell me an Airstream unless they set me up with a good weight distribution hitch - they felt that strongly about it.

Here are a couple pics for you to review. One is of the EAZ-Lift sway bar (right pic) and the other is of a typical weight distribution setup (EAZ-Lift, too - left pic) using the two typical weight distribution bars.

You can solve the "creak" by using a good grade of grease where the bars attach to the hitch mount. Also, there's usually a little "break-in" required. I suspect your creaking will go away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	350Ultra-Lite.JPG.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	13998   Click image for larger version

Name:	swaycontrolA.GIF.gif
Views:	169
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	13999  

Old 08-15-2005, 06:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
There is a LOT that VW should be paying me for, but I'm still waiting for my check.

The MFI stands for Multi Function Indicator. It's that LCD screen in the center of the instrument. The MFI is doing what it is supposed to do and alert you of non functioning lights.

However, the Touareg electrical system is a little over sensitive when it comes to LCD lights: they just don't draw enough current to show that they are attached, yet there is an open ground. A future software update might fix the problem if every one complains loud enough. The system works perfectly if you have standard lights. You also get a trailer turn signal indicator in the speedo with the incandescent lights. Wiring a couple of resistors inline at the plug should give the trailer enough resistance for everything to work properly.
Old 08-15-2005, 11:38 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
You also get a trailer turn signal indicator in the speedo with the incandescent lights. Wiring a couple of resistors inline at the plug should give the trailer enough resistance for everything to work properly.
That's kinda cool to see trailer signal indicators, I just hope my dealership can do a good job on this installation. When we purchased it in Dec they had only done a few hitches so hopefully they have done a few more by now and know what they're doing!

Hope you come up with that fix and get the big check from VW someday

BTW, really enjoyed your pix....and can't believe what you all do with your Touaregs ... I'm paranoid to park close to someone in a parking lot!
Your description suits you to a T!

Enjoy your car (while it's in one piece) AND your Airstream
Old 08-16-2005, 01:09 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Sway and weight distribution are two different things. I would never tow without weight distribution, frankly, nor should you. Weight distribution provides better control over the trailer even if it's not necessary in your application. I had at least one dealer tell me that they wouldn't sell me an Airstream unless they set me up with a good weight distribution hitch - they felt that strongly about it.

You can solve the "creak" by using a good grade of grease where the bars attach to the hitch mount. Also, there's usually a little "break-in" required. I suspect your creaking will go away.
Thanks Xray, I'm sure we have WD, but I will dig up manuel to double check for sure, as I was pretty thorough when buying all this stuff and now that it's done I have emptied my brain of the details! Will definately try the grease, though we did notice less noise on our long trip this summer so maybe it's somewhat "broken in" at this point.

Again, sure glad you save all the above info
Old 09-21-2005, 04:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

I also want to welcome Platbr to the Touareg/Airstream family. I think Devoman and I were bad influences on him.

At this rate, we'll be running the place!