Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-18-2010, 05:31 PM   #81
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Kathy,

We previously owned an 04 reg. It was a great car until about 60k miles. Then it was a different story. $4200 later we sold it. I will say we take very good care of our cars and keep up the matainence regularly. When we purchased the vehicle it had an extended 100k mile warranty. Well... the warranty company filed BK and e no longer had coverage so do your homework if this is included on a vehicle you are considering.

Also I would highly recommend if buying one you get it equipped with a tow package. Ours didn't have it and it ran about $1800 for that. I would recommend be patient and holding out for a newer model the 04s are not worth the headache. Good luck in your search.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #82
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Nixed the 04

I talked to a VW mechanic and he said to stay away from the '04's and '05's. Soooo now back to saving up for that 06 V8/07 V6 Touareg or considering another option.

I could have the Trailblazer now, but I'm just not in love with it. Anyone out there tow with a Trailblazer?

Someone also mentioned a Ford Edge or Kia Borrego.

I LOVE the Highlander which starting in '08 is on a truck chassis but everyone seems down on this choice. I wonder why?
shortcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #83
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Have you considered a Mercedes 350 SUV? Friends tow a 27' with theirs and just luv it.

From what I have read they are better and more reliable than the T-Regs although the T-Reg has gotten rave reviews as well.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #84
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
All car makers produce lemons now and then. Every year. Don't be afraid of an '04 or '05 Touareg if you can find one with low miles and a repair history. The problems they had in the beginning happened in the beginning. I have an '04 Touareg and yes I had to bring it back so they could reprogram the computers and replace some items. All which occurred under warranty. I have had no major issues since and I am at 71K miles.

However, if you want to make the commitment, get a V8 with air suspension. They tow through the mountains with no problem and the self leveling air suspension is a big plus, especially when hitching/unhitching at unlevel campsites.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:46 PM   #85
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Ocala , Florida
Touareg Weight Distribution Hitch Question

I have a 2004 V-8 Touareg that I love and plan on pulling my 1971 31' Sovereign with once I get further along in my complete redo of it. I was working on getting the new umbilical cord wired so the tow exterior lights work and I had to read the Touareg manual and it said to never use a weight distribution hitch with the vehicle. Does anybody have any input on this? Do you use a weight distribution hitch?

Your input will be great appreciated. Thank you.
cjohannesen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM   #86
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
If you have steel suspension then yes, you want to use WD hitch. Westfalia pulls a 27' with his Touareg and he would be your best source for info on rigging a 31' with a Touareg with air suspension. I would PM him direct.

I pull a 19' and do not use a WD hitch but do use a sway bar.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #87
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Hey cjohannesen, time to learn the most powerful feature of this site, the "search" feature!

Do a few thread searches, you will find more than enough comments concerning the "T-Rex, Pepper & Audi Egg's" with neat info, pics and discussions to take up hours of reading while most likely answering every question you could come up with!
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 02:51 PM   #88
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Got the Treg

Update:
My '98 Subaru Outback wound up dying in near West Texas over the Thanksgiving holiday so we were forced into a quick decision. Found a low mileage well priced 2006 V6 Touareg and the '72 20' Argosy is at the Airstream dealer getting the wheel bearings packed right now.

My Touareg has the hitch receiver installed so I'm assuming it has the "tow package" does this usually include the brake wiring harness?

It appears that the final consensus on this thread is that WD is okay with the Treg? My Argosy is rated 470 hitch weight and 2880 base weight. Is there anything else I need to have done at the VW dealer to prep the car?

I was considering having an RV parts store install the Tekonsha brake controller and the E-Z WD hitch 1000 lbs(as indicated by Andy T. earlier in this thread). Do you all feel they could handle this type of install or is it better to have done at the AS dealer. The AS dealer markup on brake controller and hitch seemed pretty steep.

I also asked the dealer about lessons/tips in towing and they kind of laughed. I thought that would be pretty standard at the AS dealership?!?
Thanks again in advance!
Kathy
Old 03-02-2011, 03:47 PM   #89
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Setting up your Touareg

Kathy,
I love towing with my 2008 V8 Touareg, I have a 31 foot Airstream.
The Touareg does not have an optional 'towing package', it simply comes equiped that way.
The vehicle is prewired for the brake controller, however a Volkswagen dealership should install the brake controller.
Volkswagen's have very sensative electrical systems. I would not let anyone else mess with it.
Does it also have the wiring harness for plugging the trailer in?
If not, that is also already pre-wired, and the dealership should install that.
Reason it is all pre-wired is because it is all tied in with the electronics.
After they install, they can change the harness pin functions from the dashboard controls if need be, for right signal, left, etc.
It also warns you on the dash if your trailer becomes disconnected from the harness, or if something else is not working.
Thus, you can see it is a pretty impressive tow vehicle. Trust only the Volkswagen dealership to finish it off for you.
I use the Hensley Arrow hitch, but my trailer is a bit longer than yours.

Thanks,
Toby J. H.
TobyJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #90
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Toby,
Did you buy your brake controller directly from the VW dealer or did you buy it and then take it there for them to install? Thanks for all of the great info!
Kathy
Old 03-02-2011, 04:16 PM   #91
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Kathy - I have written detailed instructions on what needs to be done to get your brake controller installed - would supply link here but on iPad - search Cayenne Touareg Brake Controller Install...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:20 PM   #92
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Kathy,
I bought the TruControl brake controller from Hensley as well.
I then took it to the Volkswagen dealership for them to install.
Brake controller:
Brake Controller - TruControl by Hensley Mfg.

I am really happy with it. It gives a really smooth brake for the trailer.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:37 PM   #93
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJH View Post
The Touareg does not have an optional 'towing package', it simply comes equiped that way.
The vehicle is prewired for the brake controller, however a Volkswagen dealership should install the brake controller.
Volkswagen's have very sensative electrical systems. I would not let anyone else mess with it.
Does it also have the wiring harness for plugging the trailer in?
If not, that is also already pre-wired, and the dealership should install that.
Toby, unless ordered, the Touareg does NOT come with a hitch. When it is ordered, it is installed at the port. Otherwise it is a dealer or owner install. Because of this there are in fact several aftermarket hitches for the Touareg. All are inferior to the "factory" hitch with lower tow and tongue weight ratings and do not come with factory electronics or harnesses (meaning from the the tow electronics controller and wiring back to the hitch). Many aftermarket hitches are installed due to being cheaper, but you get what you pay for.

Many of the Touareg's sold in 2007 were missing the wiring and plug under dash to wire in a brake controller. 2006 has the plug. It is an easy customer install (provided that the customer can follow simple instructions and has a wire crimper or soldering iron) and does not require the dealer to install. In fact, they would probably cost more that the AS dealer to install AND the VW tech doing it would probably be doing it for the first time. I can almost guarantee that his will do it wrong.

As for WD, the factory maintains that the Touareg is not WD compatible. MANy Touareg owners have many thousands of un eventful miles saying otherwise. If you have air suspension, special consideration should be given to proper WD setup as to keep the air from fighting with the load leveling. Other than that, I think you will be pleasantly surprised with how well the Touareg, even a V6, tows!

Also, please read this thread on AirForums's sister site; Club Touareg. It has a link to a wiring schematic that would be appropriate for your vehicle.
http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f6...ion-47687.html
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #94
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
I ordered the hitch from the factory with both of my Touaregs, but it was never called a Tow Package.
The only option listed was the receiver hitch, for an extra $800.00

Good news, Volkswagen has revised its standing on weight distribution hitches. The Touaregs, as of my 2008 onwards, now list tow weight ratings for both weight carrying and weight distributing hitches!

I've never had any problems towing with my Weight Distributing Hensley Arrow hitch, like you said, for many miles already.

Thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Okay. Called 2 VW dealers and got totally conflicting info. First dealer here in Austin said they don't install brake controllers and referred me to a hitch shop. The hitch shop only installed one kind of controller which has not been mentioned here on the forums. They assured me they had never run into any electrical problems even with a Touareg...hmmmm.

2nd dealer told me I needed some wiring to complete the factory wiring harness for my 2006 Touareg before I could install a brake controller. He said they don't install brake controllers but could order me this part. Said I also needed a converter for the European plug in the back of the Touareg to work the Trailer lights. I had him order these parts, they were cheap and he seemed to know what he was talking about. The SERVICE manager said they DO install controllers(conflicting info) and also have to reprogram something for the Touareg for the dash display to avoid warning lights. I found it surprising that someone at both shops said they didn't install controllers. I feel I'm in uncharted territory here in Austin!
Old 03-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #96
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Kathy,
Maybe you need to take a trip to Canada!
Actually, tell them if they need any advice, they can call the dealership in Calgary, Fifth Avenue Auto Haus, 403-273-2500, ask for Andrew in the service dept. He knows about installing the controller, refer to Toby's Touareg. He will give them any info they need.
Thanks.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #97
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Welcome to Volkswagen ownership. There is LOTS of misinformation out there and even their own agents don't know the whole story. The correct part the finish off the plug assembly in a 7-wya Pollack. If you paid more than $10 for it from the dealership, then you have been taken. Install is as easy an removing four screws, snapping a connecting and tightening four screws.

Direct order link: http://order.waytekwire.com/productd...07%20WAY%20RV/

The dealer MAY be right on the controller reprogramming, but don't let them charge you $80 for the privilege. If they program it for free, then by all means. Otherwise, PM me and I can meet you sometime (maybe in Dripping springs or Blanco?) and I can do it with my laptop.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #98

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
I'm looking for a new TV and like the Toyota Tacoma but saw a 08 V8 T Tex without a tow hitch. It looks great with 27000 miles. How hard would it be to add a hitch or is it better to buy one installed?
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 PM   #99
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
It's not hard to add the hitch, it's only 8 bolts, and everything is setup from the factory to install it.
I have a 2008 V8, bought it new from the factory, but ordered my hitch right away from the factory.
When I was doing my research though, there was not too much to it, and Andy who writes the hitch hints articles in RV Lifestyles e-mailed me to confirm it. But, I am the type who does get the dealership to do everything. That way you do get the VW hitch and it does not affect your existing warranties, and if something get's messed up, you are not in a situation of people pointing their fingers at each other.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #100
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
Austin , Texas
Westfalia,
When you said it's an easy customer install, are you speaking of the wiring and plug for controller or the actual install of the brake controller?
I'm thinking the parts guy perhaps got confused on 2006 vs 2007 and thinks I need this wiring/plug for bc install. Guess I'll be driving up there tomorrow to have them look at it in person.
So do you think Camper World could adequately install the controller?
Thanks everyone for all of the advice.
Kathy