Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-18-2007, 01:00 AM   #41
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
The factory hitch will be more than enough for what you want to tow. I bought mine for $600 and installed it myself. MAKE SURE that you get the updated bolts that increase the rating from 616 lbs of tongue weight to 770. If it a new hitch, you should be fine, but it is not easy to change once it is done. The factory electrics are nice, and fully provide for the addition of a trailer brake controller. The only problem is with the LED lights on the Bambi and the Touaregs reporting system. You will get a 'Check Brake Lights' and a 'Check turn Signals' warning in the MFI every time you plug in or start the car. At some point, I will make a resistor package to fix this problem.
How can I make sure I am getting the updated bolts?
Are there even more heavier duty ones I could use?

I have been looking into getting a Touareg for a while now.
I've been doing tons of research, trying to see if the Touareg will handle my Airstream. I love VWs, and I love my Airstream.
I have a 1976 Airstream 31 foot Land Yacht, rear twins, fully restored.
Dry weight is 5200, my usual weight is around 6100, maximum weight is 7200.
I was all set to buy the Touareg, when one of the salemen told me that I cannot put a weight distribution hitch on the vehicle. He told me it would twist the vehicle out of shape so the doors won't close anymore, or that the trailer would tear lose from the Touareg.
But, after reading the letters from Garth Cane and Andy, previously posted here, somehow I don't think those terrible things would happen.
Seems to me, if the Touareg is expected to tow a 7700 pound trailer, it would also be expected to handle a weight distribution hitch, because at that trailer weight, you would not really want to tow without one.
I also sprung for the Hensley Arrow hitch, it's sitting brand new in the box in the garage.
I sure would love to get a Touareg. Xray, can you also please confirm your posts?
Anyone else using a Hensley Arrow with their Touareg?

Thanks everyone!
Toby J. H.
TobyJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up

Congratulations Toby. Your new T-Reg and Airtream combination would definitely be one my top 3 desirable combinations. I am truly envious.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #43
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJH
I was all set to buy the Touareg, when one of the salemen told me that I cannot put a weight distribution hitch on the vehicle. He told me it would twist the vehicle out of shape so the doors won't close anymore, or that the trailer would tear lose from the Touareg....
hi toby....

finally an honest car salesman!

i like the vdub a lot...

but NOT for towing a 31ft trailer, or at higher hitch weights...

using a w/d hitch WITH spring bars puts a lot of torque on the attachment site, bolts and frame/body.

most receivers bolt on, along the frame rails at the bottom or sides; this distributes the w/d stress along the frame/reciever interface....

the t rex receiver bolts onto the backend...

tightening the spring bars on a w/d system will stress this attachment like a BOTTLE CAP opener

here is a picture i posted in another discussion of this issue.

http://www.airforums.com/forum...56-post35.html

vw recommends NOT using w/d hitches exactly because of how they work.

take a look at the schematics for attaching the vdub receiver included down below...

their receiver and attachment design are not intended to take this stress.

while your trailer isn't really heavy it is LONG. the trex wheelbase is not.

clearly a custom hitch fabricator could design and install a reciever that would attach (bolts or welds) at more points and along the unibody, to better handle a w/d system.

would i butcher a t-rex that way? not on a bet.

the haha is a wonderful hitch. it will give you trouble free and relaxed towing.

but use it with an adequate tv that is designed to handle the stress of spring bars...

the stock vw/t-rex reciever design is too wimpy....

cheers
2air'
Attached Files
File Type: doc honda and vw receivers.doc (94.0 KB, 128 views)

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:06 PM   #44
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJH
How can I make sure I am getting the updated bolts?
Are there even more heavier duty ones I could use?

I have been looking into getting a Touareg for a while now.
I've been doing tons of research, trying to see if the Touareg will handle my Airstream. I love VWs, and I love my Airstream.
I have a 1976 Airstream 31 foot Land Yacht, rear twins, fully restored.
Dry weight is 5200, my usual weight is around 6100, maximum weight is 7200.
I was all set to buy the Touareg, when one of the salemen told me that I cannot put a weight distribution hitch on the vehicle. He told me it would twist the vehicle out of shape so the doors won't close anymore, or that the trailer would tear lose from the Touareg.
But, after reading the letters from Garth Cane and Andy, previously posted here, somehow I don't think those terrible things would happen.
Seems to me, if the Touareg is expected to tow a 7700 pound trailer, it would also be expected to handle a weight distribution hitch, because at that trailer weight, you would not really want to tow without one.
I also sprung for the Hensley Arrow hitch, it's sitting brand new in the box in the garage.
I sure would love to get a Touareg. Xray, can you also please confirm your posts?
Anyone else using a Hensley Arrow with their Touareg?

Thanks everyone!
Toby J. H.
Ha ha! That's a good one.

Don't listen to the salesman - he doesn't know what he's talking about. I no longer have my CCD but I have the Touareg and towed somewhere over 10,000 miles with it using WD and there was never a worry. Frankly, I wouldn't tow without WD no matter what. I now have 40k on the Treg and it is perfectly fine. My doors work and the fenders are still hanging on...

There's a difference between the 31 foot and my 22. My 22 towed like a dream. Can't speak for the 31 but Garth would advise you to "go for it".

Enjoy!

X
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 09:24 AM   #45
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Some good points X. Here is a shot from the Garth Cane review, RV Lifestyle Mag.

Old 03-27-2007, 12:09 PM   #46
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Lauderdale-By-The-Sea , Florida
Question Well? Which one will it be?

OK. So now that the Touareg folks have had what is soon to be two+ years with the Touareg dragger, here is what i would like to know:

What would you spec differetly if you were going to buy a new Touareg today?

Is the V6 just too under powered? Is the V8 a must? Would everyone trade up for the V10 TDI if they had the wherewithall? The price differences are significant. Is it worth it?

Here's why I ask: My current TV is a 1968 Imperial Convertible and I plan to use this car to pull my 2006 19 foot International for a 6-12 mid-life-crisis road trip.

BUT, when I get back, or even in the meantime, I want my other vehicle to be able to pull the airstream around if necessary. Also, should I decide to go fulltime when i return from the adventure, I'll most likely upgrade the Bambi to the 25' CCD.

Here's the rub: my other car is a 2003 GTI VR6 and I can't imagine a world that did not include a VW. "Gunther" is my 3rd GTI and my saddest years were the ones i spent without a vdub in the driveway. I LOVE that car. Aside from being a total thrill to drive, the car is an amazing utility vehicle for daily living.

From reading this thread, I'm thrilled that everyone with a Touareg is happy (but then again, I don't know a VW enthusiast who isn't) with the vehicle's capabilities in light of the wall of sound chanting, "bigger is better!" Don't get me wrong... I too want to be safe and i understand the logic behind long, long wheel bases. I just don't want to drive something so large (and brutish) when i'm not traveling. Besides, i'd like to ride in some kind of style. =)

So, if I'm looking at spending my annual bonus on a sizable down payment, what should I absolutely make sure is on board my brand new toy? Also, I'm of course going to order silver... Which silver is a better match for the A/S? Although i'm partial to Reflex Silver (my GTI is Reflex Silver), there's something about that Blue silver.

Regards,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	407788234_283dfa0795_b.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	286.1 KB
ID:	34701  
(Truly Work from Anywhere)
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
GolfStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:42 PM   #47
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Northwest Panhandle , The Sunshine State/WBCCI 6637
Touareg

Get it with the Airsuspension if you can.You will love it and you Airstream will also.You can use it to hitch up easier.I put mine at the lowest setting and back up and then lift it.

Devoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 01:49 PM   #48
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
Get it with the Airsuspension if you can.You will love it and you Airstream will also.You can use it to hitch up easier.I put mine at the lowest setting and back up and then lift it.

I didn;t know you could adjust the air suspension to lift... Good trick! Do you have the V6? and if so, would you buy that one again or would you go for the V8 or the TDI?
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
Old 03-27-2007, 04:37 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Bellevue , Washington
I have the V10 with factory hitch and nothing else towing a 19' AS. Drives great. Even my GMC/SOB/25' friend is in love with it.

I'm still having problem with the trailer lights though. I have to take it back to the AS dealer as their LED swap out caused the running lights to malfunction

--
Asher
asherkobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 05:13 PM   #50
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by asherkobin
I have the V10
Well I am certainly impressed!!!! Creme de Creme!
Old 03-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #51
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Lights

It is not worth the trouble to spend the money and swap the lights out.There is a fix for one of the warning but not the other.Search my Forum name and you should find the fix.It is just a couple of resistors.I have not even tried to do it to the new Airstream.It does not bother me anymore.Just hit you steering wheel button and it will go away until you restart the car.

Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #52
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
v6

i used to have the V6 when the vehicle first came here in 2003 but last year I traded for the V8.I like it a whole lot better but that is me.
If you are wanting to get the V6 I would wait because they are about to bring the Diesel over here and that thing has pull power and would be great with the 19 footer.
Another thing you should know also is that if you were to pull off the highway and had to go shopping for a bit with the Airstream attached.The car comes with an alarm system and just as long as the 7 pin is plugged into your vehicle and if someone were to try and fool around with it and unplug it your alarm will go off.It is tied into the system which I think is a nice bonus.
Another thing also with the airsuspension is the lowest setting.It is called the load setting.This vehicle will lower almost to where the tires are level to the fenders.A great way to load things on top off the vehicle also.You just cant beat it.This vehicle is great.Threre are so many more things that this thing can do that it is hard to remember what they all are.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:53 AM   #53
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devoman
i used to have the V6 when the vehicle first came here in 2003 but last year I traded for the V8.I like it a whole lot better but that is me.

If you are wanting to get the V6 I would wait because they are about to bring the Diesel over here

The price point on the V6 is attractive, but i figured that if i ever upgrade the as to my dream 2007 25 foot International CCD, it should be the V8 or the V10 Diesel. Seems like all the V10 diesels are ready to go for towing... Every example i see has the factory hitch and the air suspension.

Do you mean that VW is bringing over the TDI engine in the Touareg that is in the jetta/rabbit/gti? Or are you refering to the V10?

So... Is the consensus among Touareg owners, is that you do NOT use the w/d hitch as 2air suggests? What do you do about sway control then?
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
Old 03-28-2007, 12:34 PM   #54
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfStream
[/LEFT] So... Is the consensus among Touareg owners, is that you do NOT use the w/d hitch as 2air suggests? What do you do about sway control then?
javier

it is NOT my suggestion that w/d or spring bars...

that is VOLKSWAGENS recommendation...

sway control and w/d are 2 separate issues.

some hitch systems provide these 2 functions independent of each other,

and some do not.

i'd love to own a v10 diesel dub, well, a depreciated one...

but IF used for towing would have a custom shop fabricate a receiver that could take the forces involved.

cheers
2air'

the vortex forums and club touareg forums both have good sections on towing issue...

oem vs others, w/d or not, brake controllers, wiring harnesses, air suspension and so on...

VW Touareg Forums - Off-Roading & Towing at ClubTouareg.com

VWvortex Forums: Touareg

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:50 PM   #55
can't finish anyth

2018 30' International
This is at the CARMAX in Dulles, VA. Smells like a good deal and CARMAX has a good reputation. What do the Touareg folks think?

Used cars and new cars at carmax.com ® The way car buying should be. ® Vehicle Fact Sheet
2017 F250 "Super Judy"
Old 03-28-2007, 03:04 PM   #56
Administrator

1961 16' Bambi
Dallas , Texas
Go to VW Touareg Forums - Index at ClubTouareg.com (a recently acquired Social Knowledge site) and read the 2004 reviews. I am no expert but it seems there were quite a few issues in that model year.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM   #57
Airstreamin and luvin it
Commercial Member

2005 25' Safari
Price

I would do a post on the Vortex and Club Touareg to check on prices.some of the people on those 2 sites know where a good dealer is and also a good price.Quite a few people live in miami also with Touaregs and are on the forums.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM   #58
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Calgary , Alberta
Touareg Towing

Well, after I bought my Touareg, I was so excited I never did post anything back here, sorry about that folks.
I got the 2008 V8 and it is the best tow vehicle ever!
I tow my 31 foot Airstream with a Hensley hitch.
Never any problems at all, and have towed extensivly by now.
Even hitched up the vehicle is as solid as ever, tows like a rock, no porpoising, dipping, etc, or swaying.
Also, guess what?!!
When my new Touareg arrived, it had both weight carrying and weight distribution hitch ratings on it!
So there!
Same chassis as in previous years, so I guess VW just finally realized what weight distribution was all about.

Thanks All
TobyJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #59
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Love mine too...

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:16 PM   #60
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJH View Post
...Also, guess what?!!
When my new Touareg arrived, it had both weight carrying and weight distribution hitch ratings on it!
So there!...l

nothing like an ENTHUSIASTIC follow up report toby,

even if this thread was last posted 3 years ago...

so there!

it appears sometime in ~09? vw started labeling the receivers for both weight carrying and weight distribution...

as i recall the limits are still ~770 lbs tongue and 7700 lbs total.

the interesting thing about the vw rating is (and has been) that the towing capacity (7700 Lbs)...

is NOT reduced by payload. that's very different than all other platforms.

and with a gCwr of 14,000 lbs+ the t'rex has excellent capacity.

given YOUR stream is nearly 40 years old and a LOT lighter than current units of the same size...

it would appear to be well within the ratings provided.

now where are the PIX?

cheers
2air'