Old 08-15-2005, 11:10 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
Interesting, especially the comments about the Equilizer hitch. How do you find the ride is with your hitch? I notice a little bit of rebound with mine, and then I can feel the air suspension trying and smooth out the rebound, a process that can take a second or two.

Other than that, the only thing I would change about mine would be the engine. V6 is great for flat land towing, but it leaves a little bit to be desired when climbing the high mountain passes, something that I do on a regular basis.

Old 08-15-2005, 02:34 PM   #30
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
(On March 21, Andrew Thompson wrote:

The hitch I would recommend is a 1000 lb Eaz-Lift with 2 friction sway
controls. I would strongly suggest a welded ball mount in order to keep
the rear overhang to a minimum.

Of coarse a Hensley will work as well.

I would suggest the Jordan Ultima or the Hensley Tru Control. I will
not install and all electronic type as in our testing we cannot get them
to stop as safely let alone any where near as smoothly.)

Do you all agree with this? What's your opinion on this hitch, and would you change to try either of these options instead?

Thanks for all above info XRay!

Old 08-15-2005, 03:47 PM   #31
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaStreamin
Welcome Westfalia, I think our Touaregs share the same paint color
I LOVE my Silver Blue Touareg. It doesn't show dirt.

Quote:
We haven't installed our hitch yet and like you and Xray we have a WD hitch w/sway (we also have Equal-i-zer), V-8/air, and am wondering about this factory hitch installation. Are there any modifications or details I should know or ask about before we have this done? I did read something about a coverplate needed for the hitch but there isn't one available from VW, is this correct? Any advise from the resident T-reg owners is much appreciated
The factory hitch will be more than enough for what you want to tow. I bought mine for $600 and installed it myself. MAKE SURE that you get the updated bolts that increase the rating from 616 lbs of tongue weight to 770. If it a new hitch, you should be fine, but it is not easy to change once it is done. The factory electrics are nice, and fully provide for the addition of a trailer brake controller. The only problem is with the LED lights on the Bambi and the Touaregs reporting system. You will get a 'Check Brake Lights' and a 'Check turn Signals' warning in the MFI every time you plug in or start the car. At some point, I will make a resistor package to fix this problem.
Old 08-15-2005, 03:48 PM   #32
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Oh, no problem at all.

I run the Equalizer hitch to total comfort and satisfaction. I have never noticed the Treg adjusting its suspension to the load - ever - but maybe I just don't listen. I've never used sway control even though I bought the hitch with the optional sway bar. Frankly, its just too stable to worry about it and I've never even thought about it since day one. I tried it once. My TV/trailer combo does not sway.

I use the Tekonsha Envoy (having retired the Prodigy from service on the Treg - just too much electronic stuff going on)... It works to my satisfaction and is not a bother. The Treg's huge 4 wheel disks stop the whole shebang without the trailer brakes just fine. I had to make a short trip once before I had the controller installed. Can't say I recommend or condone it, but it does work (without any white-knuckles).

Guests for dinner tonight so I gotta run. I'll be watching this thread!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:25 PM   #33
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
I LOVE my Silver Blue Touareg. It doesn't show dirt..
Looks great with the Bambi, can't wait till we get ours set up!

Quote:
. The only problem is with the LED lights on the Bambi and the Touaregs reporting system. You will get a 'Check Brake Lights' and a 'Check turn Signals' warning in the MFI every time you plug in or start the car. At some point, I will make a resistor package to fix this problem.
Does this happen even without bieng attatched to the TT? If so what a pain!
If you come up with a fix VW should pay you for it IMO.

I think MFI means mal-function indicator...correct me if I'm wrong...my mind came up with a few other possibilities

Will plan on the factory hitch and bring this info along, thanks!
Old 08-15-2005, 04:30 PM   #34
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Oh, no problem at all.

I run the Equalizer hitch to total comfort and satisfaction. I have never noticed the Treg adjusting its suspension to the load - ever - but maybe I just don't listen. I've never used sway control even though I bought the hitch with the optional sway bar. Frankly, its just too stable to worry about it and I've never even thought about it since day one. I tried it once. My TV/trailer combo does not sway.

Guests for dinner tonight so I gotta run. I'll be watching this thread!
OK, so you use the hitch ball only then, and don't attach the sway bars? Our hitch came with these bars and we never considered not using them, but that would surly eliminate the creak!!

Enjoy your dinner!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:18 PM   #35

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Quote:
Looks great with the Bambi, can't wait till we get ours set up!

I think MFI means mal-function indicator...correct me if I'm wrong...my mind came up with a few other possibilities

Will plan on the factory hitch and bring this info along, thanks!
No big, really. I don't even notice it (MFI "lights" warning) anymore. And, I don't think there's a fix... VW has been meaning to update the flash for the trailer module...

No, it doesn't happen until you connect the trailer and start the Treg.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:26 PM   #36

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Sway and weight distribution are two different things. I would never tow without weight distribution, frankly, nor should you. Weight distribution provides better control over the trailer even if it's not necessary in your application. I had at least one dealer tell me that they wouldn't sell me an Airstream unless they set me up with a good weight distribution hitch - they felt that strongly about it.

Here are a couple pics for you to review. One is of the EAZ-Lift sway bar (right pic) and the other is of a typical weight distribution setup (EAZ-Lift, too - left pic) using the two typical weight distribution bars.

You can solve the "creak" by using a good grade of grease where the bars attach to the hitch mount. Also, there's usually a little "break-in" required. I suspect your creaking will go away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	350Ultra-Lite.JPG.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	13998   Click image for larger version

Name:	swaycontrolA.GIF.gif
Views:	117
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	13999  

Old 08-15-2005, 07:08 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Quote:
There is a LOT that VW should be paying me for, but I'm still waiting for my check.

The MFI stands for Multi Function Indicator. It's that LCD screen in the center of the instrument. The MFI is doing what it is supposed to do and alert you of non functioning lights.

However, the Touareg electrical system is a little over sensitive when it comes to LCD lights: they just don't draw enough current to show that they are attached, yet there is an open ground. A future software update might fix the problem if every one complains loud enough. The system works perfectly if you have standard lights. You also get a trailer turn signal indicator in the speedo with the incandescent lights. Wiring a couple of resistors inline at the plug should give the trailer enough resistance for everything to work properly.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:38 AM   #38
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote:
You also get a trailer turn signal indicator in the speedo with the incandescent lights. Wiring a couple of resistors inline at the plug should give the trailer enough resistance for everything to work properly.
That's kinda cool to see trailer signal indicators, I just hope my dealership can do a good job on this installation. When we purchased it in Dec they had only done a few hitches so hopefully they have done a few more by now and know what they're doing!

Hope you come up with that fix and get the big check from VW someday

BTW, really enjoyed your pix....and can't believe what you all do with your Touaregs ... I'm paranoid to park close to someone in a parking lot!
Your description suits you to a T!

Enjoy your car (while it's in one piece) AND your Airstream
Old 08-16-2005, 02:09 AM   #39
Dan&Barb 25'Safari FB/SE

2006 25' Safari FB SE
La Mesa , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray
Sway and weight distribution are two different things. I would never tow without weight distribution, frankly, nor should you. Weight distribution provides better control over the trailer even if it's not necessary in your application. I had at least one dealer tell me that they wouldn't sell me an Airstream unless they set me up with a good weight distribution hitch - they felt that strongly about it.

You can solve the "creak" by using a good grade of grease where the bars attach to the hitch mount. Also, there's usually a little "break-in" required. I suspect your creaking will go away.
Thanks Xray, I'm sure we have WD, but I will dig up manuel to double check for sure, as I was pretty thorough when buying all this stuff and now that it's done I have emptied my brain of the details! Will definately try the grease, though we did notice less noise on our long trip this summer so maybe it's somewhat "broken in" at this point.

Again, sure glad you save all the above info
Old 09-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #40
Rivet Master

I also want to welcome Platbr to the Touareg/Airstream family. I think Devoman and I were bad influences on him.

At this rate, we'll be running the place!
Old 03-18-2007, 02:00 AM   #41
TJ

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
The factory hitch will be more than enough for what you want to tow. I bought mine for $600 and installed it myself. MAKE SURE that you get the updated bolts that increase the rating from 616 lbs of tongue weight to 770. If it a new hitch, you should be fine, but it is not easy to change once it is done. The factory electrics are nice, and fully provide for the addition of a trailer brake controller. The only problem is with the LED lights on the Bambi and the Touaregs reporting system. You will get a 'Check Brake Lights' and a 'Check turn Signals' warning in the MFI every time you plug in or start the car. At some point, I will make a resistor package to fix this problem.
How can I make sure I am getting the updated bolts?
Are there even more heavier duty ones I could use?

I have been looking into getting a Touareg for a while now.
I've been doing tons of research, trying to see if the Touareg will handle my Airstream. I love VWs, and I love my Airstream.
I have a 1976 Airstream 31 foot Land Yacht, rear twins, fully restored.
Dry weight is 5200, my usual weight is around 6100, maximum weight is 7200.
I was all set to buy the Touareg, when one of the salemen told me that I cannot put a weight distribution hitch on the vehicle. He told me it would twist the vehicle out of shape so the doors won't close anymore, or that the trailer would tear lose from the Touareg.
But, after reading the letters from Garth Cane and Andy, previously posted here, somehow I don't think those terrible things would happen.
Seems to me, if the Touareg is expected to tow a 7700 pound trailer, it would also be expected to handle a weight distribution hitch, because at that trailer weight, you would not really want to tow without one.
I also sprung for the Hensley Arrow hitch, it's sitting brand new in the box in the garage.
I sure would love to get a Touareg. Xray, can you also please confirm your posts?
Anyone else using a Hensley Arrow with their Touareg?

Thanks everyone!
Toby J. H.
TobyJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 07:30 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thumbs up

Congratulations Toby. Your new T-Reg and Airtream combination would definitely be one my top 3 desirable combinations. I am truly envious.