Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #1
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Another GMC 2500 3/4 ton van question

What can I (safely/reasonably) tow with it?
Its a 1990 with 150,000 miles
GAWR front axle is 1542KG/3400lbs
GAWR Rear axle is 1545KG/3406lbs
GVWR is 2994KG/6600lbs
Rear axle is 3 42
Engine is 5.7L
It does have a transmission cooler
Any assistance would be appreciated
Cheers!

Bex
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:39 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We towed our '63 Overlander with a 1995 G2500 van configured like yours. It had no trouble at all with it, the trailer weighed about 5,000 pounds.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:00 PM   #3
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Thanks!
I guess the follow on question is what maximum could I tow?

Cheers
Old 05-08-2010, 07:41 PM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bex View Post
Thanks!
I guess the follow on question is what maximum could I tow?

Cheers
Personally, I'd try to stay below 6,000 pounds towed. Maximum capacity depends on a lot of things, like how much is in the van.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:46 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Amherst , New York
I had a '95 Chevy G20 with a hightop conversion package - very similar to your vehicle. After crunching ALL the numbers I concluded I was able to tow a 31 Soveriegn, and I did. While it was by far the best family roadtrip vehicle we've ever had (me, wife & 3 kids), it was at best an adequate tow vehicle. The gearing (combination of tranny and rear end) just wasnt well suited.

In contrast, when we purchased a Suburban, the improvement in towing behavior was enormous. I still miss the interior and living space of the big van though
expat5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Personally, I'd try to stay below 6,000 pounds towed. Maximum capacity depends on a lot of things, like how much is in the van.
OK, So today I weighed the van.
Front is 2557lbs
Rear is 2293lbs
Van is 5070lbs
That includes me (160lbs) and a full tank of fuel.
Hitch is rated for 5000lbs or 7500 lbs with an equaliser hitch/sway bar set up.
So what does this mean when looking at max towing capacity of the van.
I am just not understanding this.
Should I not be exceeding the weight of the van, when its loaded?
I do realise that just because the hitch is rated at what it is, is no indication of what I can actually pull. Somebody said 6000lbs. Does that mean I have to load up the van to EXCEED the trailer weight, so it (the trailer) remains lighter than the van. If not, would that be a case of the tail wagging the dog?

Thanks

Bex
Old 05-11-2010, 02:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
look for a sticker with weight ratings on the van door frame and post those numbers.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Towing Capacity

What you are looking for is the Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating.
What that is is literally the max weight of the tow vehicle and the max weight of the trailer. The only time it will come up and bit you is if you are in an accident, however, when you start going past the CGVWR towing starts to become less and less enjoyable. Trailer life might still have it posted for your year. If not you will have to call the manufacturer for it.
My 1990 G3500 CGVWR is 12,500 LBS
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 02:58 PM   #9
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by richinny View Post
look for a sticker with weight ratings on the van door frame and post those numbers.
My first post has them, and thats all there was on the label.
I called a dealer or two and they say they are only able to go back 10 years, so the info is not available. If I cannot get it resolved here (in the next day or two) then I will call Trailer Life and buy the rating for that year and model.

Bex
Old 05-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #10
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
I had a 1989 GM van, 3/4 ton like yours. I sold it though before I bought my Airstream.

With my van, I'd consider towing anything that didn't exceed the 7500 pound hitch rating. GCWR ratings do not have the force of law, and it's really matter of what you're comfortable driving and your sense as owner of the wisdom of trading off wear and tear on the power train against the expense of buying a truck that's set up specifically for towing.

Vans have a problem with engine and transmission cooling, in general, because there are so many potential obstructions to airflow. So, you have to watch temperatures, keep everything clean so it cools better, and accept that maybe a transmission overhaul and some engine work are going to be part of the routine maintenance at some point.

There are a bunch of things I'd be more concerned about than the GCWR:

* Is there any play at all in the tie rod ends or steering gear?
* Is there a steering damper? If not, maybe add one? If there's one there, time to replace it?
* Any play in the front wheel bearings?
* Can you still tell what color the shocks were painted by looking at them?
* Any oil leaks (it's going to be running hot and you don't want a fire)?
* Have you or someone you trust completely disassembled the brakes so you can say with confidence that they're OK?
* If the hydraulic brake lines haven't been replaced by now some of them probably should be

You do not have to have the van heavier than the trailer. I tow an 8500 pound trailer with a 6000 pound pickup.

You have over 1100 pounds of rear axle capacity available so that shouldn't be limiting.

It's going to be a little slow and you'll notice it most when trying to cross or merge into traffic on a busy undivided highway.

People come here with all kinds of crazy ideas on what they can tow but I don't think you're one of them.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 03:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Quote:
My first post has them, and thats all there was on the label.
I called a dealer or two and they say they are only able to go back 10 years, so the info is not available. If I cannot get it resolved here (in the next day or two) then I will call Trailer Life and buy the rating for that year and model.

Bex
as beginner mentioned... is there a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or CGVWR?
Old 05-11-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Jammer.
Thanks! This is great info that I can take to my auto Guy.
Just to clarify one point. The axle capacity on the rear end, is that the hitch weight, so for instance a 6000lb trailer at average of 10% = 600 lbs so being well within capacity, or am I missing it again?
And you are right, I am not interested in what I CAN tow, I want to ensure that what I tow is safe spec wise and within my comfort level. I am still looking for a trailer and have several criteria for choosing. I am not inclined to change this vehicle just yet and feel that I will be buying a trailer that is within its capacity to tow anyway. I just want to ensure that is the case.

Thanks again

Bex
Old 05-11-2010, 03:59 PM   #13
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
as beginner mentioned... is there a Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating or CGVWR?
No there is not, thats what I am trying to find out.
Its not easy is it?

Bex
Old 05-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
not so far anyway ;-)

i once had a pdf file with this info that is hiding from me. i'm still looking.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
is your vehicle in this list?

http://www.trailerlife.com/images/do...owingguide.pdf
Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #16
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Jammer.
Thanks! This is great info that I can take to my auto Guy.
Just to clarify one point. The axle capacity on the rear end, is that the hitch weight, so for instance a 6000lb trailer at average of 10% = 600 lbs so being well within capacity, or am I missing it again?
With a properly rigged weight-distributing hitch, there will be, roughly, a pound-for-pound addition of weight from the tongue to the rear axle. Typically tongue loads run 10-15% of trailer weight. So, you have 1113 pounds of unused rear axle capacity. With a 7500 pound trailer, you would expect to have between 750 and 1075 pounds of tongue weight. If you get a trailer that large, you'll have to be a little sensitive to rear axle loading and maybe make a few trips to the scales until you're sure but it will still work.

Quote:
And you are right, I am not interested in what I CAN tow, I want to ensure that what I tow is safe spec wise and within my comfort level. I am still looking for a trailer and have several criteria for choosing. I am not inclined to change this vehicle just yet and feel that I will be buying a trailer that is within its capacity to tow anyway. I just want to ensure that is the case.
The thing to watch is that the specs can be misleading. In general towing ratings have increased each year for the last 15 years or so. It is unclear whether there is actually a commensurate change, mechanically, in the vehicles being sold in many of these cases. The ratings are themselves a sales tool to sell newer trucks and to push people into larger power train packages.

The other thing to consider, especially with an older van, is that you will have the trailer long after you sell the van. Accordingly, get the trailer you want, and then adjust your tow vehicle situation as necessary.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:08 PM   #17
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
No, thats 2000 mine is a 1990, but thanks!

Bex
Old 05-11-2010, 05:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
still pulling up links.
WikiAnswers - What is the towing capacity of a GMC Vandura 2500
it mentions the specs being on a sticker in the glove box. (you probably already know that ;-
)
Old 05-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #19
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
still pulling up links.
WikiAnswers - What is the towing capacity of a GMC Vandura 2500
it mentions the specs being on a sticker in the glove box. (you probably already know that ;-
)
The only sticker in the glove box has a bunch of numerical (looks like binary!) codes only, nothing to do with the specs, but I appreciate the suggestion

Bex
Old 05-11-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Are you sure that the van is really a 3/4 ton? With a 6600 gvwr, it sounds like a 1/2 ton. Every 3/4 ton van/pick-up in those years that I have seen had a gvwr rating in the 8400>8600 range, and would have had an axle ratio of either 3.73, or 4.10. The brakes, suspension, cooling etc.,are also bigger.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote