Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2019, 06:28 AM   #241
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Since EV's are so much cheaper to operate, you just made the case to tax EV's at a higher rate than gas cars for road maintenance! [emoji1]
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 06:42 AM   #242
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Well what I can say is that after 1 year and 15k miles on our 2017 Tesla model 3 our “all in” cost to operate (maintenance, energy, etc) was $0.04/mile.

My “all in” cost for the same mileage over similar period on my 2017 GMC 2500 tow vehicle was $0.25/mile.

If I had to pay a whopping $120 road tax per year that would increase my all in EV OPX to ~$0.055/mile.

$120 is less thank the cost of a single oil change on an ICE vehicle.

We operate both ICE and EV vehicles in our household - but the EV is absolutely the go-to vehicle for daily driving and associated expense management. GMC is for towing and other business related activities.... when needed.
The problem with EV in general is that at 40 grand for a decent one for the large segment of the urban population that could use one is too expensive compared to any number of small cars under 20 grand. That also get relatively decent milage at close to 30 mpg.
Driving less than 100 miles per day it is cheap transportation over all.
Tesla is a rich man's toy , the Nissan Leaf and GM Volt are at 40 grand.
That EV industry has got a challenge on their hand.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:42 AM   #243
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
I paid $44k after tax for my model 3 long range. But your right, I compare to my alternatives with BMW 3 series etc. and was not looking for a $20k car or what have you.

One could argue any car is a toy. Airstreams are toys. A house vs an apartment is a toy. Etc.

Prices will continue to come down. Frankfurt auto show has some new entries in the market too.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:44 AM   #244
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
And we thought diesels had torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi;
Since EV's are so much cheaper to operate, you just made the case to tax EV's at a higher rate than gas cars for road maintenance! [emoji1]

If be fine with that. Roads need to be paid for somehow.
Old 09-17-2019, 10:47 AM   #245
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank View Post
The problem with EV in general is that at 40 grand for a decent one for the large segment of the urban population that could use one is too expensive compared to any number of small cars under 20 grand. That also get relatively decent milage at close to 30 mpg.
Driving less than 100 miles per day it is cheap transportation over all.
Tesla is a rich man's toy , the Nissan Leaf and GM Volt are at 40 grand.
That EV industry has got a challenge on their hand.
A decent car is $40k. Even a Kia is $30k.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 10:49 AM   #246
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
If be fine with that. Roads need to be paid for somehow.
The solution to waste is always more taxes. 45% of the population gets all their taxes refunded, and they drive too. Flat tax.
Old 09-18-2019, 07:53 PM   #247
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Prescott , Arizona
Everything pollutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephiesNana View Post
It's not just the production of electricity that's dirty, but the manufacturing of all those batteries is extremely unfriendly to the environment.
Currently air pollution as it relates to global warming is the major concern. Batteries may never be considered a pollution problem. In 20 years solar panels will also be a major pollution source but still be considered benign compared to tail pipe exhaust.

Mike
new2trailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:35 PM   #248
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2trailer View Post
Currently air pollution as it relates to global warming is the major concern. Batteries may never be considered a pollution problem. In 20 years solar panels will also be a major pollution source but still be considered benign compared to tail pipe exhaust.

Mike
Everyone keeps repeating “battery production is bad for the environment” because they heard it somewhere. Just like “the power comes from dirty power plants”. I’m sick of hearing this parroting. Lithium mines have been around for over 100 years. Power plants are already running to power your 75” TV and giant central air conditioning units. If you really care (and no one does) about what will happen 100 years from now, shut all that stuff off and quit driving.
Old 09-18-2019, 11:52 PM   #249
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Everyone keeps repeating “battery production is bad for the environment” because they heard it somewhere. Just like “the power comes from dirty power plants”. I’m sick of hearing this parroting. Lithium mines have been around for over 100 years.
Fully agree. I don't know how many have actually been to a lithium mine. This one, SQM, is in northern Chile, in the Atacama desert close to Antofagasta. They have been around since the late 1800s in various guises. World's largest lithium producer, or at least it was when I worked in Chile. Very little environmental impact, particularly compared to the coal mines or oil production sites that I also travelled to for work. That is my Expedition in the second shot. I didn't tow there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00012.JPG
Views:	34
Size:	250.8 KB
ID:	352502   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00014.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	352503  

jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:45 AM   #250
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2trailer View Post

Mike
Where do you people get this kind of nonsense?
Natural " air pollution" is far more extreme than anything humans could ever do.
The whole notion of air pollution is nonsense.
If it has human origins it pollution. If its natural phenomenon its nature doing its thing. How absurd.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 01:50 PM   #251

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Totally natural. Nothing to do with human activities. Right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	la_smog7.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	352521  

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #252
Rivet Master

2019 28' Flying Cloud
2014 22' FB Sport
Davie , FL
The idea that carbon dioxide is pollution is even greater nonsense. CO2 is the primary building block of life on earth. Without it all life ends.
out of sight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:32 PM   #253
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklyfrank

The whole notion of air pollution is nonsense.

Wow. Travel internationally much? Yikes! But hey, what does the world health organization know anyways...
Old 09-19-2019, 08:37 PM   #254
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight;
The idea that carbon dioxide is pollution is even greater nonsense. CO2 is the primary building block of life on earth. Without it all life ends.

Yeah makes sense. I am for CO2. I think we need more of it. If the atmosphere was 100% saturated with CO2 we’d all be super strong!
Old 09-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #255
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Totally natural. Nothing to do with human activities. Right?
Not sure. Is that from fog, or a California forest fire nearby? I’ve seen both.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #256

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Not sure. Is that from fog, or a California forest fire nearby? I’ve seen both.
It's a high-smog-day photo from the 70s. Peak ozone (smog) levels there have dropped almost in half with the California's tightening emissions regulation even as human and vehicle populations have grown. But of course there are those who would have you believe that's entirely coincidental and has nothing to do with the vastly cleaner-operating vehicles of today and we should all be driving '71 Caprices.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 10:48 PM   #257
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by out of sight View Post
This claim is so ridiculous, and yet repeated so often by those who would deny science, that corrections are published and easily accessible.

https://skepticalscience.com/co2-pollutant-advanced.htm

Reading can be hard, so there is a video version:

Old 09-20-2019, 03:02 AM   #258
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
It's a high-smog-day photo from the 70s. Peak ozone (smog) levels there have dropped almost in half with the California's tightening emissions regulation even as human and vehicle populations have grown. But of course there are those who would have you believe that's entirely coincidental and has nothing to do with the vastly cleaner-operating vehicles of today and we should all be driving '71 Caprices.
Still looks that way some days due to weather and forest fires. Terrain traps pollution in some places like California. Same thing happens in the front range of Colorado. Yet they still rely heavily on single-passenger vehicles. The real problem out there has never been fixed.
Old 09-20-2019, 09:02 AM   #259
Rivet Master

2023 23' International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcl View Post
This claim is so ridiculous, and yet repeated so often by those who would deny science, that corrections are published and easily accessible.
Skeptical Science website founded by Dr. John Cook, PhD in Cognitive Science, the study of thought, learning, and mental organization...hmmmm...
Roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:05 AM   #260
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
Skeptical Science website founded by Dr. John Cook, PhD in Cognitive Science, the study of thought, learning, and mental organization...hmmmm...
That would seem to be great training for someone researching how people process information, how denial works as a defence mechanism, how logic is used to process new ideas, and so on. Science denial is worth trying to understand IMO. One issue is that some don’t understand the science and so pronounce it to be false, and try to sway others by elevating their opinions above research and conclusions based on facts. Others understand it fully, but want to promote a political position. And so on.

Cook’s research isn’t in climate science, but in why some can’t seem to process it. The scientific climate research content is presented by others.